Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Las Vegas , Nevada
Cancer and a new 2014 28ft Land Yacht

Last check on the bucket list. My girlfriend and I originally are from Florida. Almost daily in the winter time we would see one silver bullet after another.
About 6 months ago, out of the blue, I was told that at 53 I would not see my 55th bday. Very rare form of non Hodgkin's lymphoma.
I have had a wonderful life and have the greatest GF you could imagine. Dying does not scare me now. Enough of that. Now the good news.
We hunted and hunted for which Airstream to buy and settled on the 28 Ft "Land Yacht". We like quality and I am a big boat guy so when I saw that Riva Yachts was involved with the interior we were sold.
Everyone at Colonial in New Jersey went a long way to put just the perfect deal together. David the GM was outstanding.
We are joining all of the correct clubs and hope to meet a lot of you out there on the road.
We will be looking for a few "long time" road warriors to adopt us and help with a lot of directing, tips, info etc.
it's a real pleasure to be just a little part of Wally's dream.
Peace to all
Mark and Denise
SugarRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
SugarRush,

Welcome to the forums and Airstreams. You will meet a lot of great folks here and on the road who will be happy to answer any of your questions and help you out when necessary. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I can't think of any better therapy than 'streaming. I am a three time winner in my fight with head & neck cancer with separate diagnosis in 1994, 2003, and 2012. While the doctors are smart, they aren't necessarily great predictors on longevity. I know many survivors who are now 10 - 20 years past the time their doctors originally predicted they would survive, so I just don't buy into their timelines. I predict MANY more years of Airstreaming in your future, so enjoy your travels and new memories with your girlfriend. Hopefully we will meet on the road during our travels and share some of those memories.

P.S.
I highly recommend "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" by Rich Luhr. Your dealer may give you one with your new AS, so ask and see if he can give it to you to read while you are waiting for delivery.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
May the time you have left be full of life.

It sounds like you know where you want to go with it. We're here to help, so shout if you have any questions. Meanwhile, we'd love to see pics of your new rig. We have a 25' and, IMHO, the 25'-28' range is a real sweet spot if you don't need the extra interior space of a large unit or the light weight or tight maneuverablity of a small one. Ours gives us plenty of living space for two and fits most older (National Park) campgrounds.

Welcome to Airstreaming.

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." - Robert Heinlein
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
SugarRush & GF

Welcome to the forums and to all things Airstream. Your life will be changed for ever.

Sorry about your diagnosis. Every time i get a new ache, I wonder if it is the big C. Like Scott says, sometimes the doctors are a little off in their diagnosis. It is certainly not an exact science. We will be thinking positive thoughts for you.

Have fun in your travels. You are doing what most of us would like to be doing right now. We are here for you.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome to the Airstream world. There is a lot of information in the forum based upon both facts and opinions and your ability to discern fact from fiction can be utilized daily. Your next challenge will be to read the tow vehicle discussions which can provide hours of entertainment and shared knowledge.

The Airstream will allow you two the opportunity to experience the beauty, peace and serenity of many locations in the US both alone boon docking and shared with other campers.

I wish you all the best with your major health issue. I have known many friends that are still here who the doctors said would be gone a long time ago. I believe your attitude and belief system is just as important, if not more so, for the quality of life you desire than what the docs provide.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mark and Denise,

Sorry for your medical issues but glad that you have the opportunty to get out there in a beautiful Airstream and experience the country.

May you have many happy miles together,

Maggie
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
SugarRush,

Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Airstreaming.
WBCCI # 7096
falcon-N-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Welcome, Mark and Denise. My husband and I are new, too. Maybe we will see you on the road! We are heading out for our first time in 4-6 weeks in our 1970 Overlander.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Blessings to you both!
Keep the faith and keep on airstreaming! Post pics when you can.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I sure hate hearing this news SugarRush, but keep up the faith! My husband and I are dying to purchase our first AS. We have an Eddie Bauer picked out - just waiting for our next ship to come in. We loss our nephew this past June in a tragic accident. My husband and I were both very close to him and practically raised him. My husband and I decided that there are no guarantees in life and we need to savor every moment. So...we decided to savor ours in an AS and take off every opportunity we can! Best wishes to you and like the others have mentioned, we would love to see pictures of your travels! Take care of yourself and be safe!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome

You have a great attitude despite your solemn news. F**K cancer and tell it to kiss your A(ir)S(stream). Enjoy yourselves to the very end.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
You have a great attitude despite your solemn news. F**K cancer and tell it to kiss your A(ir)S(stream). Enjoy yourselves to the very end.
Hi five!!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
I sure hate hearing this news SugarRush, but keep up the faith! My husband and I are dying to purchase our first AS. We have an Eddie Bauer picked out - just waiting for our next ship to come in. We loss our nephew this past June in a tragic accident. My husband and I were both very close to him and practically raised him. My husband and I decided that there are no guarantees in life and we need to savor every moment. So...we decided to savor ours in an AS and take off every opportunity we can! Best wishes to you and like the others have mentioned, we would love to see pictures of your travels! Take care of yourself and be safe!
Thanks ... We are so excited to get in the road :-D
Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
My husband and I are dying to purchase our first AS.
As a matter of philosophy, never say that you're "dying" to do something. Rather, say that you're "living" to do it! Think positive, be positive!