Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Richard B.

1965 22' Safari
Bowmanville , ONTARIO
canadian New to Club

Hello, I am new to this Club and maybe a little premature in joining, as I have not bought an A/S yet. I hope to get needed advice beforehand (and have already just by reading these Forums) and would certainly like to take advantage of the volunteers who will inspect a trailer for me if it is local to them (I do not want to drive 6 hour round trips as well as cross the Canada/US border to see junk!)
Anyhow...I am a family guy with one 4 year old son and we have camped with a tent trailer for the past 3 summers and really love it. I want to move into a hardshell (to extend the season, possibly into winter for skiing) but can not afford to shell out big bucks. I am handy with tools and am not afraid to take on a fixer upper. My belief has always been that if properly designed and built, anything from the past is worth putting time and effort into since today's products seem to be throw-away at worst, and good for 10 years at best. Enough for now and looking forward to my first metal cut!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Welcome Richard. You're smart by gathering info before your purchase and it sounds like you've got the "handy with tools" gene. That will be especially helpful. Good luck with your search for the perfect Airstream. We're glad you've joined us.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome Richard - I'm also from Canada, and have really appreciated all the advice that these forum members have given me. It's helped me make a decision (bought my A/S in the US and imported it) and I haven't looked back ever since!

Good luck in your search!
-michelle
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Richard! Many people join here prior to purchasing an Airstream (wish I'd found the site before buying mine!) and you'll get lots of help with your decision. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Richard B.

1965 22' Safari
Bowmanville , ONTARIO
Thanks for the Welcome

Thanks for the Welcome!
Let's get right in to offerring advice; I have a lead on a "73 25' International" center queen bed layout (the seller can not determine the model for some reason) . This would be one of the first A/S's made when Beatrice bought the company, so is this in itself a concern? It needs lots of appliance work (fridge, A/C, plumbing, stove...) but has a good shell, pan and running gear. It is located in Kitchener Ontario, but he is willing to tow it to me for $200 to inspect, which saves me over 5 hours of driving (and is a sign of confidence on the sellers part also). How would I contact a Kitchener-Waterloo A/S owner willing and able to inspect this for me?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Hi Richard
There is going to be an Ontario District WBCCI rally at Orillia this weekend. If you are in the area drop by. There will be Airstreams from refurbed 60's to new just out of the box, to Mohos'.
I've attached a pdf file of our newsletter that gives further details. Maybe someone going or coming from that rally (to the London area) can drop by and do and inspection for you. We won't be there as we are Grandma sitting.
Sarge
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trillium_August_2007.pdf (2.46 MB, 220 views)
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum, Richard...you are definitely in the right place to do your research to help you make future decsions on a purchase...lots of good, friendly, helpful folks, vast experience...and answers to many many concerns...

Good Luck and Silver Trails!
TB
Old 08-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Airstreamin' in Canada

1973 27' Overlander
Waterdown , Ontario
Welcome aboard! I am near Burlington Ontario, and bought our Airstream about 6 months ago. I have started a blog about our camping adventures at Airstream Camping

A lot of the fun we went through with purchasing our '73 Airstream is still fresh. Feel free to post any questions you have and I can try to help you out.

BTW there is a posting out today on here for a 29' '75 in Ancaster...
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums. A little research and a lot of reading will help you find lots of good information. My suggestion is to really do your homework and learn all you can. Going to a rally as tinhutjohn suggested is a really excellent idea. You get to talk to real owners and find out the good, the bad, the ugly, and fab! In the meantime think of how you will use the Airstream and what kind of tow vehicle you will need to purchase...if any. Here is a link to a thread I think is quite useful and throws out some good ideas whether buying new or old! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

If you purchase an older Airstream, always check the axel, electrical capabilities, and go for "good bones" rather than cosmetic.

Good luck in your search.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Richard,
Good to see you on the forums. My first Airstream was a '77 31' which I had for 4 years before buying an '86 25'. The '77 was longer than what I needed and I really liked the layout of the '86 25'. What also sold me was the thicker (taller) stronger frame and that is why I recommend a rear bedroom mid 80's to mid 90's trailers if you aren't looking for a widebody trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
Richard B.

1965 22' Safari
Bowmanville , ONTARIO
In Reply

MLang 905; I went and looked at it. Even I was scared and I have fixed up some rough looking stuff. Windows have all lost caulking and leaked, floor is bare to inspect and has soft spots, but the exterior was amazing, as if it had never been towed. I am planning on looking at a 73 Overlander next week so I would like to talk to you re your buying experience.

TinHutJohn; I could not open your pdf re Orillia, but thx for the invite. It seems like a good idea to visit an A/S gathering to learn what to look for/avoid altogether.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Richard B.

1965 22' Safari
Bowmanville , ONTARIO
Inspection Needed In London, Ontario

Could anybody drop in to Can Am RV for me and look at the 73 A/S 25 footer (S/N 1563B) they have. A salesman (Ron) has told me that almost nothing works on it but it is in "good shape".
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Start a new thread for inspector request

Hi Richard B,
Welcome to the forums.
I'd start a new thread requesting the inspection at Can Am with a heading something like "Inspector needed in (insert name of town here)" That will get more response than the request "hidden" in a new member thread. Good luck with the search!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B.
Thanks for the Welcome!
Let's get right in to offerring advice; I have a lead on a "73 25' International" center queen bed layout (the seller can not determine the model for some reason) . This would be one of the first A/S's made when Beatrice bought the company, so is this in itself a concern?
Richard, Beatrice bought the company at the end of 1967. By 73 they had made quite a few trailers, but the gas shortage was the reason for making everything lighter. Lots of plastic interior and light weight frames, no grey water tank yet.
I like everything airstream up to 71 when there were still wood interiors.
The Argosy interior was made differently. They did not use the roll up doors right away. We have solid cabinet doors and we get the advantage of the wrap around windows.
Any year can have it's good or bad trailers depending on the use. I have a 67 , 26' here that needs a complete redo. Rotten floors,nothing works, but has a great body as it was not towed much. I also have a 67 22' that is in like new condition, everything original.
Keep looking they are out there.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote