Old 08-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Pacific Grove , California
Buying Very Soon

I am a Naval Aviator planning to buy an Airstream and travel cross-country to my next duty station. I am a first time trailer buyer, and am open to any and all advice during my purchasing process. To the point. How much would you pay for a 99' Airstream Safari? See link below. I contacted a guy in San Fran who does custom renovations, and he told me he do an inspection of the unit and let me know if its solid or not. I don't mind putting in elbow grease, but I do need it to be road worthy to literally travel from coast to coast. Also, is there a general consensus on whether buying a post 1980 or 1990 model is better than a 70's model. Lastly, if anyone on this forum is from my area, please let me know and maybe I can use your expertise. Thanks.

jmmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
It's good to have someone inspect the airstream for you to find out if the floor is solid, the pipes are good, check the axles, the frame, etc of the unit. That way it's what you are looking for. As for a vintage unit ( which I have) they could be cheaper or not it's what you are looking for. It's going to be your airstream so you need to get one that fist you and what you want. Good luck and welcome to the forms!
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum

Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
You might also want to check the electrical systems, etc. Advice above is excellent! I would ask the seller to show you how everything works and actually see if it works. Make sure the 'fridge works well, all lights, etc. See what the batteries are like. Good deep cell batteries or something else? Much of your decision will surround the quality of the 'stream you purchase as well as if it will fit your wants/needs. Be sure the tires and brakes are in great shape, and if you tow from one coast to another, I would ask your insurance to add the trailer to the policy as well as towing for the trailer...

We have vintage, and love it. Happy streaming!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Southaven , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums.
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
I think you need to look at your expectations. A '99 is bound to have "issues" that need to be dealt with - simply from age. Plus older decor and such.

Your needs might be different, but if I were buying an older trailer I'd be looking to spend a lot less than $21,000 because I know I'd be ripping out a ton of the interior and rebuilding it. I'd actually be looking for one in worse condition if that makes any sense.
living.somewhere.yonder | Early stages of Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. I would not hesitate to hitch it up and travel any where I want to go.
This is because I have completed many upgrades including replacing the original axles.
The earlier trailers were narrow bodies and the are much lighter to tow. My trailer empty weighs around 4,000 lbs.
The GVWR is 6,200 lbs.
What is your tow vehicle?
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome to the Forums. I properly cared for 99 Safari ought to be in good shape and ready to go. I think of 1999 as a "late model" Airstream as I travel in an 86 and sometimes in my 66. Airstreams can last a long time.

I think 99 was the first year of the new polymer coating on the exterior skins. And it might have been the first year of the "wide body" upgrade. Others will have to chime in and get the story correct.

I believe 99s still had the OSB subfloor. My 86 does. OSB isn't the greatest material for moisture resistance. So do give that subfloor a good inspection. A southwest trailer sees less rain events than a southeast trailer.

Filiform corrosion can be a problem on the new polymer coated trailers. It is a cosmetic issue, not a structural one. It appears as "while worms" that have bored their way under the coating. It is more prevalent on trailers stored near the sea. There is no easy fix, but some Airstreamers have developed methods to improve their trailer's appearance.

Any nearly 20 year old travel trailer will have problems. You can expect the water heater, furnace, fridge, water pump, air conditioner, or other appliance to give you a headache now and then. Most of the appliances on my trailers have been repaired or replaced through the years. Tires are brakes are important inspection points too.

Good luck with your assessment of this Airstream.

dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Woodland , California
Whenever I see "Naval Aviator", I can't help but think of "The Right Stuff", one of my all time favorite movies. I question whether this trailer "has it".

According to the Criagslist ad, this trailer now has "hardwood laminate floor". That sets off alarm bells for me, as in rotten original floor that was not properly fixed or replaced; instead covered up with heavy (and likely cheap) flooring. The surfboard resting on the door and the fact that there are no recent tire tracks in the photos suggests that this is a yard queen at best.

If you decide to inspect, definitely take a moisture meter or do something to ascertain the condition of the original floor for "issues".

Just my 2 cents; best of luck on your journey.

Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Central CA

I'm working for the Airstream dealer on the Central Coast of CA. If I can help in any way, let me know! Sounds like a great adventure!

ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote