Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Cool Buying an Airstream

Hello Everybody,

First I have to say I love airstreams. There is just something classic and original about them. I have decided to move from my apartment, and live in an airstream somewhere in the mountains, working at a ski resort.

I have no knowledge about buying an airstream. I don't know what to look for, or how to find a deal.

Also I don't have much money. So I want to buy a "project" airstream and restore it. I don't need it to be perfect. I just want a running shower and kitchen.

I was also thinking about making it green, installing solar panels for electricity, bamboo floors, compost pile.

So if anyone can give me links to information on any of those subjects, or any hints to begin with. Also Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to restore an airstream. I was thinking of an airstream from 1965-75 under 25 ft. I want to do it the cheapest possible way, but not shortcutting anything vital.
Undrwaterair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
I am also looking to buy my first Airstream and have found this forum to be very helpful;I suggest your read this forum daily. No expert, but if you're going to live in the trailer near a ski resort I would add a workable furnace to kitchen and shower as must haves.
flyfishsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello from Ohio & Florida - welcome to the forum. You will find much information here. Best of success in your search.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Andover , Kansas
About a month ago, we were blessed to find nearly the exact vintage Airstream (1983 is BARELY vintage!) with the floor plan we needed from an exhaustive Craigslist search in our area.

You'll find out quick that Airstreams before 1973 or so had no grey water tank, so that is something that you'd have to deal with. Our '68 had really cool birch plywood interior panels which I like better than the stuff our '83 is made of and of course, it had that cool vintage look and everything to go with it. That beind said, I love our '83 Sovereign!

Our first Airstream was a 20' 1968 Globetrotter that had no water, busted plumbing, and no propane system. Some of the interior wiring worked and some of the trailer wiring worked. Some of the interior was missing. We bought it about three years ago for $1600 and sold it last month for $4500 after a pretty neat renovation (not restoration).

Here is how we found it - I called on an ad for a Scamp in the newspaper as we decided as family to get into this trailer camping thing. The guy said it only slept three, so I said that I was not interested as there was four of us in our family. "Well," he said, "I got this old Airstream I need to sell, too".

"Where are you at?" were my next words. The rest is history...
Alsupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Welcome To The Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrwaterair View Post

I have no knowledge about buying an airstream. I don't know what to look for, or how to find a deal.
Also I don't have much money. So I want to buy a "project" airstream and restore it.
I was also thinking about making it green, installing solar panels for electricity, bamboo floors, compost pile.
I want to do it the cheapest possible way, but not shortcutting anything vital.
Yes, of course, don't we all....
This is the place to learn for sure.
People are great.
Not that you cannot find an almost new one in a messy divorce for $500, but do not count on it.
There are a LOT of people looking for a decent Airstream. Many will pay a lot of money for them.
I have been looking for years for my second "ideal" Airstream, still looking....
Airstreams are not cheap, say that to yourself, Airstreams are not cheap, and tow vehicles are expensive too.
Unless you just received that big stimulus check, of course.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
welcome to the site.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
again, welcome to the site.airstream enthusiasm is growing every day,so are the prices.but,stay positive and a deal will come your way.some advice that worked for me;get some airstream books to educate oneself as to the history and design characteristics of wallys brainchild.why? once you have airstream on the mind ,they start popping up.ever search for shrooms? first not a one to be found but find one and more appear.when I first got the bug,more airstreams were available cheap than I could keep.and {like shrooms] the deals are likely found in a pasture.also,airstream owners can be picky as to whom they pass on the silver twink.my 63 safari was purchased for a grand from a lady who still had clothes in the wardrobe from 20 years ago.she had a hard time giving up her yellowstone memories in that trailer to just anyone.only after she saw I had a genuine desire for this piece of americana was the deal done.finally,polish an airstream,you may get a good look at yourelf.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrwaterair View Post
I have decided to move from my apartment, and live in an airstream somewhere in the mountains, working at a ski resort.
I have spent a few nights in my AS down to about 20 degrees, but not for extended periods of time. Your furnace will be running a whole lot, but you may be able to augment the furnace with electric heat. There is even a very small marine wood burning "fireplace" available.

There are more than a few people who say in winter conditions an AS has a significant problem with condensation on the inner walls. Maybe a dehumidifier will help. A dehumidifier is an air conditioner in reverse. It will give off heat. But with long use the coils will freeze over.

You will also need to better insulate the belly of the AS. Some folks use a wall of bales of straw around the bottom of the trailer.

Also watch out for Mickey and his friends they will be looking for a nice warm spot for the winter, and if they like it will think they have found a permanent ski condo.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the replies. You guys are great. I actually think I have found a great airstream at 2000. And I guess the person thinks I am good enough to have one. I actually have been looking for an airstream for 3 months, and reading up about it. I am sorry that some people are judgemental about airstreams.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Richie Rich, When I polish an AS, what is a yourelf. Is that a type of elf?

Tags
alternative energy, cheap, restoration, buying, inspection