Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Decide what kind of "camping" or "traveling" you will do and where you will do it. Develop your list of criteria that will enable you to accomplish what you want to do. Go to dealerships and actually see and spend some time in each of the "campers/trailers/motor homes." Research what you will need to tow and make sure your tow vehicle meets the challenge. Figure out where you will store your trailer when you're not camping or traveling. Then make your choice.

I think buying a trailer is like buying a house for many folks; the minute you step inside you get a sense for whether the trailer/house is "you."

You will continue to find advantages and disadvantages to any choice you make. You are the best person to decide what fits your needs.

Good luck with your choice and don't get stuck in "analysis paralysis." Whew! Did I use enough dated buzz words and jargon from back in the day when I used to work?

Nancy Mac

maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The current paradigm shift in the RV world favors Airstream.

You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Anyone considering the purchase of an RV should realize the fact whether it be a trailer or motor home. They are all high maintenance units. When you consider the environment that an RV exists. It is pretty brutal.
Most owners park the units outside. There is no protection from the elements. RV's are not climate controlled like your home. The interior temps can vary from 40 below zero to the mid 100's. High humidity takes a terrible toll on an RV. When ice forms on the surface, it is not only on the surface, it is in every crack and crevice that will hold moisture. Water expands when it freezes prying the cracks and crevices open even further. The wider the crack the more water, it just keeps getting worse. The same goes for the brutality of the sun. All paints and plastics as well as fiberglass material will deteriorate in the sun. Wood dries out and rot begins from being too wet or too dry. The twisting and turning, the shock and jarring of road travel also takes a toll.
As for the stick and staple type. The worst thing you can do to wood is sandwich it between material that doesn't breathe. Aluminum skin and paneling on the inside. The deterioration starts at the fasteners. The metal condenses moisture and the wood starts to rot. From there things go down hill fast. Water leaks in, the wood gets wet and on and on.
Trailers with hulls like A$ are one huge condenser. Moisture forms between the interior and exterior skin, runs down onto the floor. Because the wood is sandwiched in the "C" channel it doesn't dry. The wood rots and the integrity if the structure is compromised. Windows and doors leak along with seams in the metal. The metal expands and contracts with the temperature and changes in humidity, rivets start working lose etc.
If you were to turn the climate control of your home off for any period of time it would deteriorate very rapidly. The Sheetrock would absorb moisture, the wood frame will start to rot, the nails would condense moisture and begin to lose their grip. If the roof would start to leak, rapid deterioration would occur and the building would begin to collapse. Now put a trailer hitch on it and drag it down the road at 65 to 75 mph.
If you live in one full time, maintenance is a constant. When you keep up with it. Any RV can last for years, maybe even decades.
In most cases when an RV is in storage it is neglected. You go get the unit, hitch it up or start it up. Check the obvious things and head out.
It is amazing they last as long as they do.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Originally Posted by goodwrench View Post
Should i buy a airstream or a coachman travel trailer. Just retired
Former GM tech?

Any RV trailer experience? some of your research here, check out the classified section, maybe check out the Rally threads, see if there are any in your area. Top notch folks, with a lot to share.

We have bought both new and only recommendation, seriously consider a late model gently used.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Images: 4 me that's the key word? I bought mine at age 42 to keep till I can give it to my son.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
In financial terms only, they're ALL bad "investments"...but Airstream is the least "bad"...sure, it depreciates, but all things being equal, eventually it'll bottom out and begin increasing in value again, and as Shane said, is something that can be passed down. (Someone, somewhere, will be operating it long after most other RVs of it's age have been condemned to junkyards, landfills, or coral reefs.)

You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote