Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
Amarillo , Texas
Question Bugjuice here, electrical question

Hello to all. I am new here. I have a 1979 31 ft. Airstream that I bought new in 1979. It has provided many many great memories for me and my family (all grown up now). I am trying to get it going again to use or sell...not sure which. Suprisingly most everything works on it. It needs new curtains and carpet and has a big ding in the back aluminum and some of the fixed windows need to be repaired (not good viewing).

I recently plugged it in to 110 and the electrical worked. However this morning the 12 volt stuff would not work. The electrical outlets work but the lights inside and the status panel (water battery etc) will not light up. This was all working yesterday.
Any suggestions.
Bugjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Start with the simplest thing first? Fuses? Got power to the Univolt? SOme have on/off switches at the 110v source that feeds the Univolt.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #3

1979 31' Sovereign
Amarillo , Texas
Thanks Jim. When I have a battery connected my 12 volt stuff works. When I am connected to shore power the 110 outlets work but not the 12 volt stuff. When its working like it should I can hear a faint buzz coming from the inverter.

I could not find bad fuses (visual inspection). I am unable to get to the inverter...looks like...without taking out the couch....bummer.
Bugjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I'm pretty sure the Univolt feeds the battery which then powers 12V stuff. Not sure it is designed to work missing battery...

It is possible to get at Univolt under couch without removing entire couch.. Most have bolts on side to remove seat back and then pivot seat up so you can removed drawer and work on electrical items...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote