Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Bringing up baby

Hi,

This isn't exactly my first post but one of the first one, just thought I'd pull up a chair around the fire and tell the story of how my baby came home.

I noticed the Airstream trailer in a trailer yard while visiting a Gulfstream Diesel pusher. Looked into the windows and thought, cool! The same week I decide to call the Aistream owner and ask a few questions, then decided to visit it the following saturday. I told them I'd be there at 11AM, got there at 11:20 and there were other people visiting when I arrived. Turns out those people wanted it, too, but the owner was waiting for me until noon before letting it go. My heart was racing, I didin't want this baby to get away!!! So I walked right under their nose, visited the stream and luckily had some cash in my pocket to make a deposit!!! I wasn't in a very good position for bargaining so I paid what was asked, 3900$. You might think it's a lot, but those are canadian dollars, and compared to what I have seen on ebay and the ads here, it's probably more expensive but after considering the cost of driving to the U.S. a few times to visit some, plus the time involved, made me go for it. Turns out the lady who I "snatched" it from called the next day and offered 6000$.

Ever since I have been discovering the world of AS travel and ownerhip, and all hubby and I want to do is restore this baby and go, go, go!!!

Yesterday hubby met up with the previous owner who nicely offered to tow it to our new home, and along they went...until the underbelly in the front ripped open!!!! They had to stop and strap it up, and along they went, at 120km anhour moving right along. The tires and brakes are sound, because PO is a trailer yard owner so he knows his business, plus, he has spent many a summer camping in that 'stream.

We expected to have to restore it from the ground up, so it's no big deal.

Hubby told me the PO's wife had a tear in her eye as they left, so as soon as we are roadworthy I will go show it to her, we promised we'd take care of it. I can only understand the way she felt.

The awning is sound, so is most of the cabinetry, the stove is original (and lime green, too!). I'm thinking of custom-building a u-shaped sofa in front because all that is gone, anyway.

The journey has just begun, see you on the repair threads!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What a neat opening chapter to your Airstreaming adventures. I hope you have many wonderous chapters to follow. If the front part is gone and the front is empty, are the battery, pump and fresh water tank gone as well?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
What a nice story and you were so lucky the owner saved it for you. Welcome to the forums, a lot of great folks and advice you will find here. The fun part has just begun.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'd love to hear eveyone's story, how you fell in love with your trailer, how did you first meet it, etc...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Neat way to get your Airstream, and so quickly. We looked for 23 years for just the right one as we were not prepared to buy one we would be disappointed in. It had to be vintage, the older the better, and restorable but not a basket case. We bought many other types of trailers in the interim but always had the dream of the Airstream in the back of our minds. Late one Friday evening I was checking out the local bargain classified on line ads and this one showed up. The year was incorrect by 12 years (they thought it was a '63 - the year it was imported into Canada) so I called and the fellow was "out with the boys" for the evening but I arranged to see if the next morning at 9. I got there at 7 and drove past to get a better look, went for coffee and showed up at 9 sharp. He was a tad under the weather from the night before and they were anxious to sell so I had a quick look to confirm it was what I wanted, made an offer and when they hesitated I pulled the loot out of my pocket, they jumped at it, and we towed it home.

Life has been wonderful since.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
When the A/S Fever Hit...

I was good friends with a RV dealership manager back in the early 80's. I always told him if he got in anything "round and aluminum" to give me a phonecall. The day arrived that he called and said "Kev, I think I have a trailer that you would be interested in." With only that message, I drove down at opening on a Saturday morning. Pulling on the dealership lot, I was excited to see a 1962 Tradewind hooked to a 1963 Ford truck. Turns out the older couple just wanted to sell their unit combo. He had a buyer for the truck if I would take the trailer. I made an offer and the deal was made...and the rest is history. So if you now own a 1962 Tradewind, and it has NC origins, give it a "hug" from it's once proud owner!
Kev
Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Great stories!

It's hard not to look too excited when we really want something! Bringing cash always helps, huh!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
So upon further inspection this is what I have to say about our trailer: it's not as bad as I thought. The front belly skin ripped open during the drive home and we had to strap it up, but 1: it doesn't leak (two weeks of constant rain proved that beyond any doubt), it doesn't smell (no upholstery helps a lot), and the floor hasn't sagged (after jumping up and down along the whole length). In fact I think I want to move in for the summer, and it could be ready for the road as of summer 2007. Will post pictures soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Pictures always help the rest of us get an idea of your new toy. It's a lot of fun building one out the way you want it. Updated pictures along that path are also always appreciated.

Barry
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Hi Barry,

picture will definitely follow. We are moving in, ugh, 2 days so we're up to our wazoo in boxes.

I do want to take early picture to show the progress we will make. Since it's a little bare inside it will not be a mortal sin to customize a little, no gaucho suits me fine for example. I'm not too crazy about the shine factor either, I don't even know if I want to restore the exterior luster. I like the worn grey, and although I love the look of an airstream I don't like the attention so I won't be provoking it by getting it to shine.

I love this forum, so cool to share this little obsession with people who understand