Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
Bringing Baby Home Today!

Well - 2 weeks after purchasing her, we are finally going up to our dealer in Fredricksburg, VA to pick up our "New" 2011 International 23FB! We have a pile of kitchen, camping & other supplies all new and in boxes (with all receipts saved) for the items with which to equip her. We have spent several hours trimming overhanging trees in our neighborhood so she won't get scratched. I have read through many very helpful (and occasionally discouraging) posts on what to look for and questions to ask at the dealer before we take possession, as well as upgrades to my tow vehicle (new brake controller, hitch improvements). We have a trip planned for next weekend (to a state park near Columbus OH) to test everything out (we'll do a "driveway" test before we head out, just to make sure all is good).

I think we're ready! I greatly appreciate all the assistance and advice we have received so far - this wonderful Airstream community has as much to do with our trailer selection as the trailer itself!

I'll post some picks once we get her home and equipped!!

Thanks everyone!!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Congrats! We're fairly new to the AS family ourselves and really enjoyed the spring rally in Sarasota; met so many nice and helpful folks and gained a lot from the info sessions. Also met several who highly recommended the AS park in Helen GA, we're planning going up there soon. Also see from your profile that we have similar TV's, ours being a 2007 3500 with the 5.9 and it doesn't know our 28ft International is back there! Gets 15 MPG towing if I hold sane speeds. PM me if you want to any info from a fellow newbie.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Gee, I wish I was home to bring over the bubbly for a proper celebration. Linda went back to Nellysford with friends after the Region 3 Rally last weekend, and got there this afternoon. I'm camped about 35 miles east of Birmingham, AL, and on my way to Texas for a few days. Will pull her home around May 8-9, and we should get together to kick tires (if you can manage to leave her parked instead of hitting the road to to camping, that is <grin>). GH
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Congratulations. You're gonna have a blast with your AS, I know we have with ours.

Greg: where in Texas are you coming to?

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Sounds like you have a solid handle on not only your AS investment,, but life style change.. Good luck too you and happy trails..

It sounds like a drive way camp out is standard with this bunch.. Not a bad idea.. Better to forget something in walking distance than to be 200 miles from home..

Its allot like riding a bike.. The moment you feel you have it mastered you fall off.. So drive and tow like a pro.. Never take anything as fact..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
The Big D

I'm on my way to just west of Dallas. The Architectural Woodwork Institute is having our Spring Meetings near the DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post

Greg: where in Texas are you coming to?

Dana
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
Well - We picked her up at Safford RV (the only AS dealer in Virginia) on Saturday. We received a detailed tour by one of their AS mechanics. Apart from his kinda crappy attitude, we were pretty pleased with the unit. Mechanically and electrically, everything seems to work properly, including the AS solar system the installed. I also had them install a WD hitch and new electronic brake (and we picked up a variety of miscellaneous RV "stuff", including a 22 gallon "Poo Cart"!).
The only issues we encountered were a poor finish on the tail light mounts and rear bumper (yellowed) - (I was told these are solid aluminum and can be polished back out), and they did not install the battery upgrade that comes with the factory solar panel installation. The dealer is checking with AS on why these weren't shipped as part of the solar package, but I suspect they will come back with a very politely worded "Tough Luck".
The solar system does seem to work great - we spent all yesterday cleaning (the unit had been on their lot for 300 days, so there was minor dust, etc.) and outfitting the unit. We purchased a mattress pad and sheets from AB Lifestyles that fit perfectly, and we washed the "Dry Clean Only" bed spread that came with the unit (seemed to hold up fine).
Priscilla was concerned when we picked it up that the storage in the 23FB wouldn't be enough, but now we have 90% of our stuff in it (and still have plenty empty storage space), she has realized it should work out fine.
We haven't hooked up to our house water yet (they filled the water tank at the dealer - I still need to drain and flush the anti-freeze). We need to now find a home for the additional pile of STUFF (organizers, kitchen implements, hooks & hangers, etc.) in the unit. Unfortunately, I have to work today and won't be able to spend another day playing in the "shiny tube".
We spend last night in the unit, and it was pretty comfortable. The "Oh My God This Is A Hard Bed" feeling was not as bad as expected, and the heat pump was only moderately loud. Only problem was it got too hot & I had to turn down the thermostat - fortunately installed right beside the bed.
We are absolutely tickled with our new home! Tomorrow I am driving it to Richmond to show my Mom (and let her spend the night in it, since she said she's never been camping before - This is "camping", right??!).

Wheeeeeeeeee. . . .
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter
I'm on my way to just west of Dallas. The Architectural Woodwork Institute is having our Spring Meetings near the DFW.
enjoy!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Sweet Streams....

"We spent last night in the unit, and it was pretty comfortable."

You think "pad camping" is fun??, wait 'til you find out how much solitude can found when the house is full of Thanksgiving Relatives.

Stream Happy & Safe.

Bob
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
"We spent last night in the unit, and it was pretty comfortable."

You think "pad camping" is fun??, wait 'til you find out how much solitude can found when the house is full of Thanksgiving Relatives.

Stream Happy & Safe.

Bob
All good until the DW find out where you are hiding. . . :-P
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
All good until the DW find out where you are hiding. . . :-P
You take both set's of keys....and stay very quiet.

Bob
Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
On the taillight housing finish, ours sat at the dealer for a long time before our purchase. We initially questioned the finish and mechanic said "it will polish out"....well, it didn't. However, when service manager saw them during a subsequent visit he had them replaced with new shiny ones without question. Put it on the punch list for your first warranty repair visit. We ended up having 6 punch items, all fixed in quick order.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote