Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #1

1965 26' Overlander
LODI , California
Thumbs up bring her home

we are towing our new (to us) 1965 Airstream, Overlander, 26' home from Reno on Monday. In Reno we are replacing the tires and rims. The owner says all the lights work, and I think electric brakes. I am towing with my 2007 Silverado, diesel , so I am not expecting any problems. I know we will be on the chat to figure out all the stuff we will have to fix, repair, or replace. I would say it is in "average" condition. Everything inside is originial.
Can't wait to get my baby home. connie
CONNIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Connie,
Welcome to the forums. There are so many answers to your many pending questions here - you've come to the right place. There have been many, many who have travelled down your path before. Take advantage of it. Doing so has saved me much money, stress and time.
Do a search for the info you want - if you can't come up with it, ask!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Repack the wheelbearings if you haven't aleady done so. Good luck on your trip home. I would go in to detail about trailer brakes and brake controllers and equalizer hitches with sway bars, etc..etc...; however, as a novice I pulled my 78 Argosy home 800 miles with just the hitch on it and chains. I had a new Prodigy trailer brake but didn't know it wasn't working until I got the Argosy home. Certainly I'm not recommending any unsafe behavior, BUT sometimes God watches over the "trailer novice". Go slow and be safe.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations Connie!

As soon as you can, please post some pics for all of us to see.

You will find these forums to be very helpful and informative. Take your time, make a list and start chipping away at your projects.

The axles are the first thing you should pay attention to, then the brakes, floors etc......all the mechanical things before you begin decorating.

Welcome again!!

Steve
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!! It is absolutely one of the greatest feeling in the world when you make that FIRST trip with your new baby!! Hope all works well. As mentioned before, God watches over the novice AS partnership. Payback for being watched over on the maiden voyage is safe traveling and careful attention to all the parts that make for safe traveling. Watch tire pressure and temperature of tires; pay attention to the gauges in your TV; and the best advice I ever got when we took up boating applies to 'streamin also - "you can't get into a lot of trouble goind dead slow." (unless you're on the expressway of course!) Attention to detail is all important - an AS hooked to the rear of your TV is not something you hook up and forget - keep in mind that she's back there and keep a close eye on her in your mirrors. Good luck with your travel now and later.........you're in for a treat!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
congratulations and welcome to the forums!

check out this link to the major renovations to get some idea of the things you can do. "a 63 for me" thread is a complete redo of a '63 overlander but forum member uwe.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

good luck and post pictures!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote