Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Don't paint the interior if the original paint can be saved

Welcome to the forums and to the world of Airstreaming!

Looks like your trailer is really in great shape for its age! Hmmmm. . . a 1965 trailer. . . that would be 44 years old, a little too old for a spanking!

I wanted to second some earlier posts and add a couple of things.

If you need to add an air conditioner by all means buy a new one. They have gotten a lot better over the years--lower profile, quieter, more efficient.

In 1965 the original interior paint would have been Zolatone, a textured paint that is nearly indestructible. It's still being made--for things like the inside of aluminum boats. Unless a previous owner has already painted over it, or the old Zolatone is in bad shape, I would not recommend painting it with anything. Old Zolatone can be cleaned up like new by scrubbing with strong detergent and bleach, or scouring powder, if necessary. (May be necessary, especially if the previous owners were smokers.)

If you are in the process of removing interior furnishings to give it a good cleaning and inspect the plywood floor, I kind of doubt you are going to be ready to take it on the road in a week or two. Just a good cleaning takes a while, as you are discovering.

If you want to come over, see some Airstreams, and hang out with Airstreamers, the Miami Valley and Auglaize Valley Units of the WBCCI (the Airstream owners association) are having a joint rally at Pasttime Park in Plain City, Ohio July 30 - August 3 in conjunction with the Dublin Irish Festival. That's only about 25 miles from you. I'm guessing we will probably have 20 trailers or so. If you would like to come over for a visit, drop me a private message and we can exchange cell phone numbers. Best to coordinate timing since many of us will be partying over at the festival at any given time.

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi

Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ohio forums members

Hi! Welcome to the forums! There are alot of Forums members that are active here in OH. We welcome you to join us! There is a thread that we post on to try and keep each other posted on where we are going/doing around the state. Here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...-50587-14.html

Several of us are headed to the Metro-Detroit rally July 31-Aug. 2. But there are several OH members that are near to you down in the Columbus area. I am sure that you can search the members list by state and find them, or just pop on over to the OH thread and check us out! Again, welcome!!

Lou and Larry...30 mi. sw of Cleveland in beautiful LaGrange

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkettell View Post
I got the paint and things I need for that project, we are actually doing better than I thought in one day considering the wonderful things that we keep finding (latest being an old nest of some sort by the water tank in the dinette area-oh, and the tubes coming in and out of that tank are black!)

My husband is traveling the Detroit Rally weekend, but I may drive up (without the AS) to look around, meet some people, and ask lots of questions. Is that "allowed"?
Yes it is allowed, I don't know what this group would NOT allow , But I think that Nuvi has a event closer that will have much the same info. Do them both if you wish. With or without your As. in tow you are still an AIRSTREAMER!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Talking

Well, sorry to disappoint, but even after my best attempt at scrubbing and scouring, she still had that "not so fresh feeling", so we ended up painting her last night. Went with Kiltz oil based primer, and Behr Anonymous, which is a medium gray. We are going for the Buckeye scarlet & gray theme in the end. After finishing last night around 12A, we were wondering what we were thinking, but after a decent night's sleep (our kid's get up @ 6A EVERYDAY), this morning we were extremely happy with the paint job. Inspected the sub floor, couple of questionable areas, but over all really good shape. We are now ready to put the floor in and start putting her back together. I will post pictures, now that I know how. We always go the the Irish Fest, so Nuvi, I will PM you and get your info, that would be awesome!! Again, thanks for helping me through the first few days! Seems like it has been much longer, but we have made some good progress!
Apparently can't upload photos from iPhone, so I will once I move to my laptop.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
flooring

Hi again! Make sure to research installing flooring. They say it must "float" so that the flex of the trailer going down the road will not wreck it. The PO of our "new to us" 1989 did ours, so we did not have to do it. But we all know that there must be some "tricks" involved in doing it in an Airstream!
To rid our Minuet of the "old" smells we had to remove carpeting, cushions, upholstery and curtains. Then scrub like crazy! Luckily there was no wood anywhere to worry about rot. The little wood in the cabinet endcaps and the ends of the streetside gaucho had to be removed and replaced. All of that seemed to have done the trick! And luckily the Excella is smell free! Yay!
LOL!
Good luck in your cleaning adventures!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Restoration resources

Hi,

Since you are a "newbie" you may not be aware of R J Dial's vintage Airstream web site Vintage Airstream Home which is also an excellent source of information. I refer to his "vintage Airstream photo archives" all the time for pictures of other people's vintage trailers. He also has an excellent set of FAQs and links to sources for all kinds of hard-to-find stuff you may need.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Dublin Irish Festival rally.

Best,
Nuvi
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
porjotrucker@gmail.com

1973 27' Overlander
Chandler , Oklahoma
73 Overlander Iinternational
Just brought73 home, nothing seems to work. It was setting under trees for years, seams to have very little leak damage. The DC lights work and does the AC outlets. Has no fridge, furnace growls and cant seem to get it to shut off to get Air cond. to come on so don't no if it works? But we are happy to have it and now we are newbies to this forum. Live on route 66 Chandler ok, have plenty of parking and outstanding 18 acre view over hwy66.porjotruckeratgmaildotcom
Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
porjotrucker@gmail.com

1973 27' Overlander
Chandler , Oklahoma
Smile

I'm learning the history and am amazed at the great following for the mighty Airstream.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Update

Ok, here are some updated pictures of the paint color and the finished painting. It isn't the greatest picture because we didn't finish until close to midnight, and I haven't taken any more pictures. Will post more once we get the floor in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	84285   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	84286  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	84287  
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
New Glarus , Wisconsin
Lookin good! So you did take out the front couches! Did you paint the vinyl too? You've been very busy! It's hard to do with the shorties running around. Mine are 7 & 8 and love to help!
I think your front is a little different than ours. You've got a double light and are missing an outlet. Ours is the international, is yours? I wonder if previous owners change some things...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
porjotrucker@gmail.com

1973 27' Overlander
Chandler , Oklahoma
love all the pics on here gives me hope on our 73 overlander
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Westerville , Ohio
Question Update

Ok, we have been working and finding new things to work on. We got the floor in, wiring redone, new copper pipes put in... Couple more questions. Where the air conditioner would be, there is a giant hole, it appeared to be sealed up, but with all the rain it began to leak, so we pulled all the stuff out that they had up in there-we thought they just took the A/C out, but after further investigating, there is no power up there. So, was A/C an option that the original owners just didn't opt for it? And will we be able to get an A/C to out in there and just run the power to it ourselves? I am ordering some parts from Vintage Trailer Supplies, and Out-Of-Doors Mart, and we are getting the Walbernize cleaner and polish glaze-any thoughts or suggestions on this? One more thing, if you notice in the picture, the "clear" tubing that goes into the fresh water tank (at least I think that is the fresh water tank), the tubing going in and out are black now-can we run bleach through these to clean, or would you suggest just replacing? Thank you, thank you again!
V-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	84757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	84758