Old 12-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Las Vegas , Nevada
Brand Spankin New

Hey everyone, I知 a landscape photographer who travels so much that it just made sense to ditch the rent and hit the road. I値l be picking up my first travel trailer this week and nervous/anxious to minimize my belongings and learn the way of all the inspiring airstream livers and avid travelers. I値l be living full time in a 2018 Sport 16 with my trusty furry sidekick Sabu (pitbul). This has always been a dream and I知 in a position now that I can make it happen. Just wanted to say HEY before I ask the occasional rookie questions I can稚 find with the search bar. 👋🏼

Old 12-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Tazewell , Tennessee
Welcome, fellow newbie. Looking forward to landscape photography tips.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Full time in a 16, a living area smaller than a parking space. Impressive. Congratulations on your acquisition, and enjoy the journey!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Granbury , Texas
Good luck!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Got a camera? Take some pics to share!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the Airstream community. Did you get permission from your pouch on the Airstream Sport full timing? Make sure you provide a very warm and comfortable place for him while you are out on the trail. Maybe he is always by your side.

These Forums have an interest in photography. You'll have to take a look and see what you think. They you can post some magnificent photos yourself.

The Sport will be easy to tow, and easy to maneuver where ever you want to spend the night, or the week, or the month

You will enjoy it.

David
Old 12-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Aurora , California
Just a heads-up about your pooch if your travels take you to Canada. Some provinces (such as Ontario) don稚 allow pit bulls. You would be turned back at the border. Now if you were to cross into Canada into a pit bull friendly province and THEN cross into Ontario, you would probably be fine.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
Hey there KRL... Congratulations on your new sport 16' .....I have a 2016 sport...Your gonna love it ....tows well, and has everything you need....Welcome to the Airstream community....
Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to the Airstream community. Did you get permission from your pouch on the Airstream Sport full timing? Make sure you provide a very warm and comfortable place for him while you are out on the trail. Maybe he is always by your side.

These Forums have an interest in photography. You'll have to take a look and see what you think. They you can post some magnificent photos yourself.

The Sport will be easy to tow, and easy to maneuver where ever you want to spend the night, or the week, or the month

You will enjoy it.

David
Hey there!! Haha yes he’s definitely a road dog. The only thing holding me back from taking my pup everywhere was camping sometimes in too cold of climates. I’m excited that I’ll be able to control the climate if I need to leave him in the AS. I’m excited to see other photographers work and share some of this journey.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks everyone!! ��������

Dooleyfan - thanks for the heads up. I’ll be sure to plan around that
Old 12-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Pitfalls of full-timing that you may want to be aware of… Each can be overcome and/or sidestepped, but before you ditch the rent you want to make sure you've addressed these issues:

1 - Taxes. You must maintain a "domicile" address because that's the place the IRS and state department of revenue expect to find you— especially if you fail to file your return. Some states do not tax personal income, and these are much to be preferred for your domicile state. Why pay taxes to a state that you're not going to be in very often?
2 - Voter registration. Same thing, your domicile determines where you vote. Can't get absentee ballots unless you have a place to be absent from
3 - Vehicle and trailer registration. You domicile determines where you buy your license plates.
4 - Driver's license. Your domicile determines which state issues your driver's license.
5 - Jury Duty. Traveling halfway across the country may get you out of jury duty temporarily, but not forever. Sooner or later you'll have to visit your domicile city and perform your civic duty.
6 - Insurance. The cost of motor vehicle insurance varies by state and even by city. Domicile determines the rate that you pay.
7 - Parcel delivery. Especially for full-timer boondockers, you need a place to have packages delivered, and companies like FedEx and UPS are forbidden to deliver to PO Boxes.
8 - Passport. You must list a domicile address on your passport. Even if you don't need a passport to leave the country, you need one to get back in.

Except in rare cases, a post office box or private mailbox does not constitute a "domicile." In fact, when you sign the agreement to rent a box, you have to list a street address on the application. The Postal Service may send a certified letter to the street address you listed, and if no one signs for the letter because it's not actually a residence and there's no one to sign for it, that's a presumption of fraud, and can lead to the FBI issuing a warrant for the person who rented the box. This procedure was originally set up in order to prosecute the perpetrators of mail fraud whose sole business address was a post office box, but it can also be used to catch full-timers who want to go under the radar as well as off the grid.

The easiest solution for many full-timers is to use a relative's sticks-and-bricks address as their domicile. The relative can receive all of their mail, forward to them the mail they need and throw away the junk. You can also grant your relative limited power of attorney to deal with legal issues that may crop up while you're on the road (but make sure it's limited; don't grant them the power to sell your stuff out from under you or empty your accounts).

If you don't have any relatives who are willing to serve as your de facto landlord while you're their absentee tenant, there are organizations that will do the same for a fee. One of the more popular is Escapees. For a fee they will provide you a domicile address, and a campsite to stay in when you have to be there (q.v. "jury duty") as well as mail forwarding and receiving packages from FedEx/UPS/whomever.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote