Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
but at the end of the day we are lucky if we remember our right from our left. LOL
Left and right does not work my wife and me. We at first kept having to say, "the other right."
Now it is to the driver or passenger side, I've never forgotten which side of the truck I am sitting on.

Thanks
Matti

Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I always ask first for pull throughs. They are generally more expensive, but they are also longer so that you have more room for parking.

I would practice backing up your AS in a parking lot through some cones if you can. Just google “backing up an RV into a site.” Some good videos.

The biggest key: DON’T HURRY. Take your time. Backing up an AS isn’t as hard as a small cargo trailer. Also back up with a spotter. You should always have your spotter so that you can see him/her. My back camera has a microphone that I can hear my wife. If not get some walkie talkies. Also don’t say left or right. Say passenger side or driver side for the direction you want to go. Left and right becomes confusing for some reason.

Also if you have to back up try and get a site that is wide and where you have plenty of room to maneuver. I always try to ask when I make a reservation how wide the site is or ask for a wide site. End sites generally are easier to get in and out of.

Yep! We use “passenger” and “driver” side directions also. Best thing we did was get a couple of refurbished walker-talkies! She just gives me directions as I’m backing up. No more arguments!

billrector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #17
Tin Man

1983 27' Excella
Charlottesville , Virginia
Consider a back up camera. Not only an aid in backing up, but I use it as my rear view mirror on the road. Some have built in microphones so no yelling or Walkie talkies.

Money well spent for me.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
When I first started, I looked for pull-through sites in KOAs specifically - with their standard camp layout and amenities, I knew what to expect, and could focus on learning the trailer and the camping routine.
One thing that helped me, at each camp I was leaving, I used a random empty spot to practice backing into. It was during a trip to the fifth campground that I overshot the entrance, and had to do a K-turn in a driveway on a busy 2-lane street. The backing practice was invaluable, and I did the turn in one take.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Congratulations ! Welcome !
I will go ahead and breach the waters, and ask, What is your tow vehicle?

.......HERE WE GO !!!.......Its always a fun conversation on here, when we start talking tow vehicles !
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Also, I would recommend you set it up at home, and actually camp in it at home for a few days, to find, and sort out the little things that may be lurking....Just don't try to run the a/c off of a regular outlet, but all else you are good. It takes a 30 amp power source to safely run the a/c....(technically)

Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote