Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
Brand New With Questions

Hi folks:

After years of tent camping, I've decided to make my way over to the camper world, in particular the Airstream brand. I have always paid more attention to Airstreams than any other brand of camper and I am excited about picking out my first one. I'm under 30 years old, would like to buy used, usually camp alone or with girlfriend, would like to have a shower along with a hot water heater (I can add this later), typically camp in places that are basic in luxuries (no KOAs), camp throughout the year in all weather, and most of my camping takes place in the southern US. In the future I would like to take a trip out west, so that area of the country will be added to the camping destination list. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all of the model choices out there and I am looking for some advice on what models I should look at. My tow vehicle is a 1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 with a rating of 5000lbs. If I needed to restore or improve a used Airstream, I would not turn it down nor is the shower a deal breaker item. Any models come to mind?

Thanks
Mav2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Lance and welcome. You're in the right spot if you're planning to get an Airstream and hitting the road. With your current tow vehicle, you are limited on what you'll be able to pull. The vintage units are alot less heavy and you'll not want to exceed 80% of your tow rating of 5000lbs to be safe. This puts you in the category of a late 50's or early 60s 22 footer like a Flying Cloud, Caravanner or Safari. There are some out there and most will need some work to get back on the road given their age. IMO, this is the best since you can finish it off the way you lkike and to suit your camping needs.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you locate one you're interested in that is in a neighboring state, there are folks who may be able to inspect for you.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Which model?

As many others have noted, it is best to find the trailer that best matches your needs, then get the right tow vehicle for it.

I have a 62' Safari 22' that is towed by a V-8 Tundra. It is a good match and would not like to go with anything smaller. I did try out my brothers Tacoma V-6 (245hp)with doublecab body and it seemed like it would work. With the addition of a weight distribution hitch it would assure safety.

I think I am like many Airstreamers that at first wanted the smallest trailer they could find. I was unsure the 22' foot size would work for me but have grown to love it. It is the smallest layout that incorporates three separate sections being the galley, bedroom and rear bath area.

As an old timer once told me, Airstreams are perfect for two people, as long as one person is outside.

Be aware that buying unrestored vintage means using it may be years away before it is ready for the road. So my advice is look for pre 68' 22' or smaller and in almost ready to road ready condition. But not 22' with your current truck.
Yes, a hot shower is the best thing ever invented.
hope this helps.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
As has been said to many first times - and we were all first timers at one time or another, look at Airstreams (AS), go to rallies and visit with owners, check out at many AS as you can. You'll soon find out what is comfortable, how much space is needed to be comfortable, and what you feel you can "turn around in" without been squeezed. My wife and I were sure we wanted a 22 footer (we moved up to that after thinking a 19' was a little squeezed). When the time came to write the check, we thought we'd better look at that 25' one more time but we knew that was bigger than we wanted. We ended up with the 25' but only after we had sat, thought, walked, visited and sat some more in every size imaginable. You'll know once you've visited a lot of them.....it'll tell you which one is most comfortable. I can't help but think it's a lot like looking at pets at the shelter - you'll know which one is for you!
Good luck and you've got a great thrill ahead of you......there's nothing like 'streaming'.
Prodigy brake system
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote