Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Smile Brand New to the Travel Trailer Scene

We have finally made the leap and are the owners of a 2009 27' AS International "Ocean Breeze". We have been on the forums for the last year, absorbing all the info we could. Admittingly at times it was a bit overwhelming... but feel it helped us to make the right decisions for what we wanted. Just bought the tow vehicle (09 Dodge 2500 4x4) yesterday, making the decision and ordering the hitch today. Sometime in the next two weeks we are going to pick the trailer up in AR. Is there anything else we may not have thought about that we really need before we make the trip? All tips are appreciated, since we have never owned a travel trailer of any kind before. Looking forward to meeting alot of you all in the future.
Debbie & Craig

Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congratulations! You're going to have great times with your AS.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Craig and Debbie,

Congratulations and welcome to the forum family! Make sure you guys alot plenty of time for us to go over the trailer. As I told you before, we would like for you to spend the night here on our lot and use everything to make sure it is working like you want it to before you leave. If you have any questions just let me know!

Looking forward to seeing you both!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
And by the way...I think you are gonna love you new tow vehicle!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Congrats....I recall distinctly how I was when I got my first. Great setup, you're gonna have FUN!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Smile Welocme to Airstreaming USA!

Cat and I just got into our "new to us" AS last month! So, welcome to the community from a newby couple... If your travels ever take you out our way, you've got a free place to park for awhile!

Best of luck!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Another congratulations and welcome. Don't feel overwhelmed - just take the issues one at a time - you will do great.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Welcome to the forums and congratulations! You are very fortunate that the dealer will let you spend the night and ask questions in the morning. That's not at all how things work here. Everyone says to "check out everything" but how can you do that if you don't know what you're looking for? I guess testing out the appliances goes without saying. There are other little things to look for, but we're still learning about our trailer. We noticed that our propane tank cover didn't fit over the frame properly. Being new to Airstreams, we didn't know if this was normal or a mistake. Naive as we were, we assumed it was normal....until one year later, we discovered that our cover is not normal. The parts manager at our dealership is very unsympathetic since we did drive away with our AS after a 30-minute lame walk-through and hustle out-the-door a year ago. We were suppposed to check out all faulty things before our walk-through. How do you know what to look for when you've never owned an AS before? That's the million dollar question. Your dealership has a very good reputation, so I'm sure that they won't leave the inspection to you. Hey, we had to learn how to operate our awning by watching a YouTube video! I doubt you'll be in that position after your walkthrough. Take a video of your walkthrough and take notes. Also, the manual that comes with the trailer is very informative. We absolutely LOVE our AS in spite of everything. Best wishes and post pictures!

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Silsbee , Texas
Hey there...just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post. These forums are really a great thing. Hope to meet you all on one of our adventures.

Airhog1 - We do plan on spending a nite or two on your lot. We have to get this right the first time, since there are no AS dealers anywhere near our neck of the woods. " ) Just don't want the girl to have any leaks...Hubby and I are horrified after all the problems people have said they have had with leaks on the forum. We're even scared to touch the AS with fears of rivets popping out, leaks forming, etc. Can you tell we've been reading the forums for quiet awhile. lol Our families already think we are crazy for spending $$$ on a trailer...but they always think we're crazy in whatever we do...so what the hey.

MaxAB - Congrats on your new AS....thanks for the free place to park...we might take you up on it one of these days....I haven't seen much of New Mexico, other than driving through it.

Bolerama - I've been watching AS demos on youtube too...have seen them quiet a few times. Sorry to hear about your experience, but glad that you still love your AS after it all.

Thanks again....Wayne&Sam, Airhog1, Silvertwinkie, MaxAB, willyd, bolerama.
Happy Camping to all!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
"Flawed Airstreams"

Congratulations on your new trailer!

Just remember, you only hear about the bad ones. Many of us have had very few problems with new trailers. Some of us didn't have the greatest dealer, but a pretty decent salesman.

In addition to the wealth of information on the internet, there is also a wealth of information in your nearest Unit of WBCCI. Get to know them and take a caravan when you can.

You will love the trailer. It is a journey, not only a destination.

Dwight
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
My only piece of advice. Get the heaviest, strongest, sewer hose they make. Get a total length of at least 20'. And, get a clear connector from the hose to the trailer. In other words, the piece that connects between the hose and the outlet on the trailer should be see through. This is the only way you will know when you have completely dumped and are getting clear water from both the black and grey water tanks.

Better yet, buy a Sewer Solution macerator from sewersolutions.com.

John
Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
congrats on your new trailer.make sure when you leave the dealer that all systems have been turned off.i remember when i did the demo overnight at my dealer the next day i left for a complimentary weekend stay provided by the ad.when i arrived at the campground i heard something running and realized i had traveled about 75 miles with the water pump running since the tank was almost empty and the pump was sucking air. i forgot to turn the switch off before my departure.also make sure you test the trailer running on the city hookups to make sure nothing is leaking.the thing with an airstream unlike other rvs,everything is designed and refined with simplicity in mind.im on my 2nd airstream trailer and have been very satisfied with the overall performance of this product.just take your time and you will learn as you go just like everyone else on the forum.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Silsbee , Texas
Dwight - at this pt we're just trying to exhale, have been running around crazy, trying to get a TV/hitch/camper shell before we make the trip to pickup the AS...

We plan on looking into joining a WBCCI unit...although I don't think there are any located close to our area.

Relentless - Have put your recommendations on our want list....Thanks!

Xonvldz - I'm sure we will forget to turn something off... My biggest worry is learning how to drive with this trailer behind me.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Congrats, now have some fun out there, I remember when we got our new airstream and I would find myself getting home from work and just sitting in it. I know you are excited.

Roy B