Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Cool! You might be in an ideal area to pick up a fair priced used truck. Watch your papers and craigs lists for oil-well support companies cycling out vehicles for newer ones. Mud engineers, pumpers, e-loggers, production sups. Might be some fairly good ones being amortized, with a lot of straight Okla road miles without that much rough work. Sounds like good broken in but not worn out diesel country where you won't take the big new diesel engine hit. You don't have too much road salt damage in Oklahoma either.

I admit to being powerless over housecleaning and social niceities
Airforums 22655 and now, WBCCI 22655

NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
1970 27' Overlander
OKC , Oklahoma
Gotcha, This is what I need, Thanks!

A dry run of this type was done by my friends "the sellers." they did remove all four tires and see if they were good to hold air so I could attempt to haul it away if I wanted to chance it. I do not. They didn't happen to document tire size. The interior was checked over and everything is intact, minus some small issues from wear and tear. It was Hauled from northern California to where it is just a few years ago. It has been pulled out of a "storage area" last week and some things discarded like a brittle Sewage hose and the tires had new Valve stems put in them (does me no good, except for short haul). They did check all interior lights and exterior lihgts and I need a new battery and the obvious old gas is going to have to be upgraded but a lot of these things can be after the initial tow. I am willing to use glow sticks for running lights, I know I need the brakes functioning. ANYONE IN SOUTHERN AZ WANT TO HELP? I can leave it in Tucson if I need to for as much time as I need to get it road worthy for the Oklahoma trip, months, years (I have family there or I wouldn't have risked this. I'm not completely out of my mind, just a "doer" as someone earlier said. You only live once).
I know Tucson has all the items I need. I was hoping to pull it off in one trip but I can get it to Tucson now and OKC in May, or stay in Tucson for a week and work on getting it road worthy?????? thats what I a trying to figure out. I will start eating into my "discounted price" on it if I travel to much.

I knew the F150 and up and the Dodge would do to reply to earlier comments. I don't like Jeeps at all unless they are the older CJ5's. I own a 80's VW Fox and two motorcycles for tow-behinds, if I ever need.

Thank you everybody.
Tell me more. I am already having my first panic attack.

74Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #17

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
No panic; just think about and list everything that would prevent you from making the trip. Then address each one in turn. It is much easier to solve one problem at a time than to work the whole list at once.

Once you can get your concerns listed, then you can prioritize and make a plan (with alternates). Work your plan in manageable chunks and, suddenly, you will see that you can do it.

Keep posting, we love a great epic-to-be. You'll be famous.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Welcome to the forum..people are very helpful and you will learn a lot. We were faced with a similar situation back in September. We did not own a tow vehicle and the trailer was in a remote part of Wyoming. I would look very seriously at a transportation company that deals with hauling trailers on flatbed trucks. We were quoted about $1,500 to bring it from the center of Wyoming to the center of Texas. It may save you the stress of worrying about the trailer towing successfully. Good luck on your adventure . Let us know if you need anymore info .

Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote

1970 overlander, first experience, tires, overlander, tow vehicles