Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Brand new member..

Hello all...as the title indicates I just joined...got interested in this subject a few years ago when a fellow moderator on a pet forum I am on mentioned her ideal set up would be traveling around the country in her job, driving a pickup truck towing an Airstream with a Vespa...The Vespa part didn't interest me so much, but the rest did..then my cousin and her hubby got a used Winnebago, (pardon my language) and after agreeing to sell my son into slavery with them I got to borrow it and take up to the NC mountains for week, fishing. Now up until this time my "RV' was a Chevy wagon with a home made tent sleeping bag etc, but this trip was a real eye-opener for me! Camping in comfort? Pounding the streams during the day, coming back to a real kitchen,(with cold drinks ready) sleeping in a soft bed instead of on a leaking airmatteress? Who'da thunk it?

But the Winnie, though nice, wasn't an Airstream, which I had decided I wanted, but there was no denying to convience of a Class A motor home, then Then I discovered Jennifer Flowers book and discovered Airstream did, at one time, make a class A...best of both worlds I decided...So I offically retire in a couple of months...the economy being what it is, this got advanced a bit...so now trying to decide on the pick up truck/trailer...(Airstream trailers simply do not seem to wear out) or an Airstream 345 class A with a toad...

So I will be annoyingly pumping you guys for info over the next couple of months..

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Greetings, Mack-in-nc, and welcome to the place on the web for Airstreamers! You'll find no shortage here of needed info and lots and lots of like-minded souls!

Hey, Jennifer Flowers' book was kind of fun, huh? But I think she made a mistake. She shouldn't have had to run her Mini once every several hours to keep the battery up. Yes, it's a British car, but even they aren't that bad! (Ask, however, about my experience with the MG and the needed smoke-replacement kit.)

Lynn

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Any Airstream is well worth the effort!!!

We prefer the trailers but that's just us. Camping, fishing and just plain 'lax'n in an Airstream just cant be beat.

Good luck in your search...keep us posted.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_lake_camping_july_2008_031.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	154110  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the prompt replies, folks...

Eubank: I think the modern Mini is German made, but not sure..I had one of the originals back 'in the day' plus later..a MG...so know all about the wierdness of Brit machines...stoopid things could turn so sharp they could bite their own rears, but those electrics...<shudder> My cousins had a Toyota toad with the same problem though..the battery ran down while towing..they finally got that straightened out though...

And Robert: Okay...WHY do you prefer trailers? That is part of the decison I am trying to make...a motor home or trailer..I see advantages to both...and confess hooking up the trailer to the tow truck ( or whatever) intimidates me more than a little.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Two vehicles with two engines and transmissions will have more maintenance failures. Trailers are more versatile and simpler. If you are going to move every few days MH can be simpler to set up camp.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Why a trailer...

I knew you'd ask...

Well.... I realize the Burb is a BIG moo, but it does it's job very well.

We remote camp a lot and enjoy sightseeing in and around whatever area we're in. It's nice to be able to un-hitch, secure the campsite and take the guests on a sightseeing/shopping trip in comfort.

As you can see in the pic, we love to fish. The Burb also doubles as a transport platform for the boat, motor and all the fishing gear, with room to spare for the crate for my fishing buddy, "Fado" and five people if needed.

I use a Hensley Arrow hitch, with, what I feel is an undeserved reputation as being difficult to get hitched-up. Sure, it certainly is different than the others but after a little practice I can usually get hitched in less than 10 min. The added piece of mind/safety it affords is well worth it for us.
Other systems don't have the same requirements and are more straight forward in the procedure.

Getting "hooked-up" with an Airstream can also be a lot of FUN!!

As far as the actual towing is concerned...it ain't rocket science.

With an adequately sized/optioned tow vehicle for the trailer of your choice, set up properly with a quality weight distribution hitch, brake controller and sway control your all set to conquer the learning curve. Easily accomplished thru careful experience.
Once your accustomed to your rig and are aware of it's space requirements and limitations the actual towing becomes second nature.

I think most here would agree, they are very comfortable going anywhere they choose with their Airstream trailer.

If the journey's not part of the FUN....what's the point?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Travel Trailer vs. Motor Home is an age old dilemma. Both have advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what ind of camping style that you want to pursue.

We are trailer people. This type of RV fits our needs and desires. We seriously considered going to a motor home, but decided that it was not right for us.

It's a personal choice. Take your time and do your research. Good luck in your quest.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post

Eubank: I think the modern Mini is German made, but not sure..I had one of the originals back 'in the day' plus later..a MG...so know all about the wierdness of Brit machines...stoopid things could turn so sharp they could bite their own rears, but those electrics...<shudder>.
Mack,

German made? I think not! They're owned by BMW but Minis are made in Oxford, England, not far from my former back yard. Have to agree with you about the electrics on the old ones, though; they weren't exactly waterproof, were they? It wasn't just that, though, as we always used to say "If it ain't p*ssing oil it can't be a Mini!"

We never considered a motor home, the trailer has no engine to wear out and the prospect of towing a smaller car didn't do it for us; far more fiddly than hitching up the TV and trailer.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Mack,

German made? I think not! They're owned by BMW but Minis are made in Oxford, England, not far from my former back yard. Have to agree with you about the electrics on the old ones, though; they weren't exactly waterproof, were they? It wasn't just that, though, as we always used to say "If it ain't p*ssing oil it can't be a Mini!"

We never considered a motor home, the trailer has no engine to wear out and the prospect of towing a smaller car didn't do it for us; far more fiddly than hitching up the TV and trailer.

"OH"...exclaimed the British Auto Engineer, "oil IS a liquid and Lucas DOES require electricity".

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Welcome to the rivet head world,, as my wife calls me..

Welcome to the group.. We all have different backgrounds and incomes but all see the value and love that went into the Airstream brand and work to keep them on the road together.

I understand the battle you face..

I have done both,.. Motor home,, 5th wheel and now a trailer (1972 Overlander)..

The motor home was ok,, but just another drive train upkeep.. Parking and finding level was another battle with boards under the tires and such.. But the largest problem was once parked unless we towed another car we were on foot.

The 5th wheel was just a pain all around to pull down the road and hook and unhook.. That and it sat 3 foot off the ground so took added steps to get in and out.

The Airstream trailer we have now has the power jack.. I just back up within a foot or 6" and raise the hitch to clear the ball and then just back it over the ball and set it all down.. Takes me a total of 5 minutes total time. The weight of our old SOB 5th wheel and our 27 foot Overlander are with in just a few pounds but the difference in pulling is night and day..

And for us,, the cost for insurance on a motor home was 10 times the cost of what it is for our trailer.. To see it sit in the driveway day after day knowing the insurance company was taking our money always ate at me..

Sodbust
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

ah Bob..now you are talking my language...I too am a fisherman and aforementioned trip to the NC mountains was to see if the trout wanted to play with an assortment of flies...and yes..with a tow vehicle, I can toss my canoe on top...perhaps a belly boat or kick boat in the 'Stream...(any RV I get will be an Airstream by the way...)or if fishing one of the local reserviors or wandering down to the Santee-Cooper lakes, a car topper boat with a 5-7 1/2 kicker.. or head up to your neck of woods to fish the fabled Catskills streams..ah yes..that's the life...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Your choice of RV will be determined by your intended use.
There are many threads/posts on the subject if you do a search so I won't go into detail here.
The key to satisfaction/enjoyment of your RV will be the QUALITY of the type/unit you select. Don't make your decision in haste.

When I see your AIR name I thought you must hail from Northern Michigan near the bridge.

Dave

[QUOTE mack-in-nc ]QUOTE]
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Welcome! Another sportsman, eh? I assume you've seen the Eddie Bauer models then, yes?

I went with a trailer because the way i generally travel is to get somewhere and then settle down there for a bit. I didn't want to have to take a travel van or motorhome downtown to the pubs I frequent (I play Irish trad music; "pubs" sounds better than "bars", doesn't it?) and I'm far too used to getting 42mpg when I'm not towing. A lot just depends on your style of travel and spending your time.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Rally in Charlotte

Welcome Mack-in-NC! I have a motor home and a trailer. Like both, but can't get my canoe on top of the moho! LOL Got the moho up for sale now.

One of the best ways to figure out what you want is to go to a RALLY. Lucky for you, there is one at Camp Wilderness @ Carowinds this weekend. Go. Look around. Talk to everyone. Check out their rigs. Most of all, enjoy.

You are also welcome to join us at GA MTN Fairgrounds in Hiawassee, GA on April 13/14. Good luck on your hunting! And don't forget to ask questions. Lots of folks here that love to talk about Airstreams.

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote