Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina

Thanks for the observation on the axles. The PO put new 10 ply tires on the trailer just before I bought it. I don't know the original tire size. Could larger tires go further into the wheel well? I towed it 2 hours last week with no apparent problems. I also downloaded a paper on checking the axles which I haven't done yet. How difficult is it to replace the axles? Is it something I can do (bolt on)? Any idea on cost?

Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Replacing the axles is a piece of cake. I used an iar impact wrench with a socket on a breaker arm to stabilize the bolt. This could easily be done with hand tools only. Jack up the frame to get clearance for tire removal. I loosen the tire bolts before they leave the ground to make it easier. Don't jack up the axles but use the frame where the axles are attached. Appropriate jack stands to hold the weight should be place where they will not interfere with replacement axles. Once the trailer is off the ground, I used the jack to support the axle and removed the shocks and undo the brake wires. Then, simply remove the bolts holding on the axles - two on each side and replace the shocks . I got mine from Andy at Inland RV. Call to get the proper weight and angle. I had them shipped to a local warehouse to save direct shipping costs.

This is the single best thing that I have done to the trailer to date. The axles are complete and fit perfectly without and drilling of new holes. Just a few tips. 1. Get the trailer high enough to clear the tires off and on so you don't have to deflate and reinflate. 2. Before tightening the axle bolts completely, be sure that it is jacked up to the frame and not hanging on the bolts themselves.

I did this by myself in the driveway with and impact wrench and hand tools, a floor jack in about two hours. Load the old axles on a truck and take them to a metal recycler with any other scrap you have around. I got $123 for the axles and my old refrigerator. Any little bit helps.

Hope that helps. Call Andy for more tips and easy ordering. You won't regret it

Joe DeFelice
1973 Excella 500
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote