Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Mine was so bad you couldn't even see through the windows. Sounds like a deal, and in one step at a time, she'll be the beauty you want her to be!

Welcome to the Argosy has the "Quality AS Emblem" by the door.......

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
not an airstream-bah humbug!!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your "new" treasure. I have a '75 24' Argosy. You are just gonna love those panoramic windows in front. Won't find those on a "real" Airstream(lol). Just so you know the 24' Argosy layout is similar to a 25' Tradewind. I really like the layout. Besides getting it winterized, a good cleaning inside and out will do wonders. Also if it smells a little musty put some unused coffee grounds on dishes in a couple of places, it will help. After cleaning, start checking systems-there are some lists of things to check on vintage trailers here on the forums. Enjoy and keep us posted.

WBCCI# 9259 AIR# 38927 TAC-TX 14
Stop Littering-Spay & Neuter-- Adopt From Rescue
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
And you get to paint it!! What ever colors strikes your fancy. I stumbled upon a 1977 28 ft rear bedroom (wrap around windows front and back) in central NJ that will begin phase 1 of renovating the essential stuff in the spring. Running gear, frame, floor then the little stuff. (Did you know you can buy marker light assemblies just like the originals off the web?) I too will be looking for a paint booth large enough to fit it in.
Al's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Pressure wash, and make sure to keep the stream >90 degrees to the panel seam (to avoid water intrusion). Spray with "Simple Green" or another "eco-detergent" prior to loosen the scum layer. Seems as if the seller wants to "pass" the unit on to a like minded individual. It seems as if it deserves serious consideration. If the panels are relatively un-dented, painting is not an issue, you can find the appropriate source.

Orange and Avocado... true vintage. I would actually consider keeping the color scheme. Fashion goes in cycles... you could be a "hipster" in a few years.

If you are honest in your offer for the unit, I am sure you will be satisfied.

Happy Trails.
'00 Safari 27' Rear Twin
'03 Ford F-250 7.3TD/CC/LB 4x2 Bio-Diesel
"Hmmm... Smells like French Fries!"
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
1974 Argosy 24
Landisville , New Jersey
Pictures of my 1974 24' Argosy

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. I am sure over time I will have TONS of questions for everyone on this forum as I dig into the details of this old beauty.

As requested, (and if I did this correctly), there should be 2 pictures that I uploaded. You can see which side faced the pine trees - it's GREEN!

If there is any known "problem areas" with these trailers that I should pay immediate attention to, (or that you spot after looking at my pictures), please let me know.

Thanks again for having me as a member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	949.7 KB
ID:	92267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	969.2 KB
ID:	92268  

Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums! Great find and a great story! Congrats.
Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats on the great find! You'll get a long way with it by pressure washing.

Take a look at the Argosy forums on this site. You'll see a lot about painting there. I almost wonder if, for a temporary inexpensive improvement, you could get away with cleaning it up and having the peeling end caps painted to match what's left.

I have to admit, we're smitten by the front panaromic windows in our Argosy. It would be very hard for us to go to a vintage Airstream and give up that feature. (Is it wrong to say that I keep surfing the web, looking for a deal on a 79 24' or 27'er...just don't tell my wife...)

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow what a great legacy to own! And welcome to the forums.

When we bought our current SOB trailer, it had a dent put in the front at the RV show where we first saw it. Its a StarStream, and its a painted aluminum exterior. Anyway, the dealer brought it to a local Macco shop, and they did an excellent repair and repainted the entire front of the trailer. Color matches perfectly. Maybe a local Macco shop by you would have a big enough booth as well.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Welcome....mine had that green stuff on it too!

We love ours and hope you love yours as well!

The Argosy section of this Furom is VERY good
and full of info!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas

Originally Posted by Gauge View Post
Anyway, thanks again for having me as a member and even though I can't count myself among the ranks of an "official" airstream, since this is an Argosy

having me as a member - you joined

an Argosy - It aint second class or stepchild, you're in!

Oh yes, we love pictures...more please!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
Thanks for having me???? You sound like Groucho! Welcome!
Bruce Robillard
Danville, Va.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Yahoooooo!!!!That's an Airstream if I ever saw one ;-)
Congratulations on your new baby-- and also on what sounds like maybe a friendship- for as long as you might have it (who knows, my husband has a mom who's 102-almost 103)... wonderful story, wonderful person to care about where her "child" goes.. I think its great. And I'm a new member too--and I just bought my first AS too!! Like you- I have admired them since I was a kid.
Looking forward to more posts from you too!
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sexing your Unit

Now have you decided whether it's a boy or a girl? And have you figured out a name yet? "Swamp Thing" won't do once you've washed it.

Foiled Again - because it was my second Airstream in 2 years.

The Silverado gets called alternately "The mother truck" or "Queen Mary" - because of it's turning radius.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I think the first steps would be to wash it! Pick the "best" side and put your family in front of it and snap a picture, get a frame and mail it as huge thank you to the "seller". I think a note from time to time would do her spirits well. We were blessed with a similar "gift" from my Grandfather (deceased) and Grandmother. We can appreciate the gesture form both sides. Good luck with your new "addiction" Just be careful with a power washer. My feelings are that they will create leaks that you don't want right now. There may be a time and place BUT the FIRST TIME is not it! Just my feelings.

Have a great day!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote