Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Boomer fledging the nest

Hello,

I am preparing for a long hunting and photography trip this fall from Virginia to Montana and parts in-between. I am still looking for the perfect (and affordable) Airstream. I will be using a new off-road Tundra for a tow vehicle, but want to keep the length of the trailer under 21' (somewhat arbitrary figure) so I can maneuver it by myself. I will be making this journey alone, if you don't count the black labrador and hunting falcon who will be my companions. I want to be able to do a lot of boondocking, and am very new to this, having always backpacked or tent camped. I liked the idea of the Basecamp but not the lack of heat. A small Bambi or Safari would be ideal. I'm willing to do some fixing up as long as it is road-worthy enough to bring it back to Virginia.

Looking forward to enjoying your conversations!

Anne in VA
Ladylongwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Anne

Welcome to the Forums! Lot's of great information and great people here. Check out the classifieds for your perfect 'Stream, and we'll keep our eyes open for a Bambi or similar for you.

Hunting falcon?.........very cool!

Have fun!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Anne. We're glad to have you with us.

A 19' Bambi would be great for one person and a dog. It has all the systems of a larger trailer including separate gray and black tanks. There are some good used ones out there. There are many people that buy a 19' and then move up a couple of years later. The 19' foot would pull easily with your truck, would be good in tight spaces, and is manageable for one person. You should also consider vintage, but check out the systems including the axle carefully.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to te Airforums, and good luck with your search for the perfect AS... we have a 19' Bambi and love the size...it's perfect for 1 (or 2) people and a dog and a falcon (very cool)... If you plan to primarily boondock, be sure to check out the boondocking threads and discussions of generators and solar package options...they will be of interest to you...

Good luck!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Anne

Welcome to the Forums! Lot's of great information and great people here. Check out the classifieds for your perfect 'Stream, and we'll keep our eyes open for a Bambi or similar for you.

Hunting falcon?.........very cool!

Have fun!
Thanks for the welcome, and for keeping a lookout for a nice Bambi for me!

Anne
Old 09-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
[quote=moosetags]Welcome to the Forums, Anne. We're glad to have you with us.

<<A 19' Bambi would be great for one person and a dog. >>

Thanks, Sue Ellyn and Brian. What should I look for in an axle if I find a vintage trailer?

Best,

Anne
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Welcome to te Airforums, and good luck with your search for the perfect AS... we have a 19' Bambi and love the size...it's perfect for 1 (or 2) people and a dog and a falcon (very cool)... If you plan to primarily boondock, be sure to check out the boondocking threads and discussions of generators and solar package options...they will be of interest to you...

Good luck!
TB
Thanks,TB! I'll do that. I already checked out some of the solar/gen posts and am pretty concerned about noise, so that will have a big influence on me.

Lots to learn!

Anne