Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
S Abington Twp , Pennsylvania
Bill & Judy Chappell

Hello...although we are new to Airstream, with two mobile homes, we are not new to the nomadic lifestyle. We are currently living on Charbonneau, a 40 foot Island Packet sailboat in the Caribbean. While back in the states, we have a 39 foot Salem Park Model camper which is stationary for the summer along the Susquehanna River in Central Pa.

After 10 seasons of boat life, we have concluded the Caribbean is not where we should be as the years continue to March forward. Several of our boat friends also "land cruise" in their Airstream while in the States and the AS Lifestyle appeals to our need for adventure. (No porch rockers for us!)

When we entered the world of sailboats, we joined forums, devouring as much information as we could find. We read books, asked opinions and evaluated responses in light of our needs and plans. Now we begin the process again, picking your collective brain and concluding the best choice for Tow Vehicle and Airstream model. Because time is fleeting, those initial decisions must be right for us. No time for a redo.

Looking forward to "land cruising for the next ten years,
Bill and Judy
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome.

You would not be the first here to do both.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I had my sailboat, I looked down on those who chose to give up the boat life in exchange for a camper. But there was a time when it was right for me too. No longer as easy to jump up on a rolling deck and douse the spinnaker. Also the cost to keep a decent sized sailboat in a slip, bottom scrubbed, and teak varnished became too expensive. Boats punish you if you don't use them, too. Sailing solo is not as much fun as doing it with friends and family.
I'm pleased with my new AS, hope I keep moving for many years. It's too easy to say, "Tomorrow" and soon another year slipped by.

BTW, Island Packets are made right up the road from me. I sailed the first 36' out the doors for testing. Wow, they've gone big! I remember lusting for a 32'.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Look at a Tommy Bahama 27 or a used Land Yacht. You'll feel right at home.

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from high and dry Colorado. The founder of the company was a sailer back in the 40s and canted his travel trailer business toward his sailing interests. Thus the Land Yacht and Trade Wind models. There are some new models decorated and outfitted very much like an expensive yacht.

You are right. Feeding pigeons in the park is not for me either. Airstream adventures keep a guy younger, even if it is relaxing at 8000 feet above the sea in the Colorado backcountry.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1607 Wellington Limited David (Small).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	299644  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote