Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Been Lurking for Months, Thanks!

My husband and I live in Dallas, Texas, and are thinking of our eventual Airstream purchase as part of our retirement planning and just generally giving ourselves options. We have time to look and think (hit 50 next year) - I've read a LOT of posts on this forum (oh how I love that underbed catbox modification!), have investigated the local dealership (Randall Noe) and looked at Ebay (enjoyed figuring out which were ads were scams and reading the posts on this forum about the scams). Next we attend a rally; seems to be the next step, what modifications (aside from more fantastic fans), possible leads in finding a nice resale, etc., options, etc.

I read about how the company is beginning to look into new materials that can drop the weight of the smaller trailers to where it can be towed by a regular sedan without sacrificing the famous Airstream structure & safety - I look forward to developments with this. As it is now, the right tow vehicle and hitch is nearly as crucial as the trailer.

We've always camped and backpacked; the trailer will allow us a basecamp and a bit more comfort as we age as well as having a remote office, ability to visit far-flung friends with minimal impact, and go to Alaska!

I would like to thank you all for the comprehensive information I have been reading for months now; I also enjoy the e-mailed newsletters.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forums. Good luck in your search for the right Airstream. We love our Lucy. We use her for both business and pleasure. She is our mobile office for our business and our base camp for fun adventures.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Keenan, welcome to the forums! Good luck with your search for the perfect Airstream.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Keenan-- I can't let a post like this past without my usual "do it now" sales pitch. Over the past couple years new Airstreams have increased in price dramaticly!!!, some models as much $10-$12,000. Even if your plans are for a nearly new or used to refurbish you can expect these $$$ increases to trickle down to the used market. If financing is necessary and with interest rates still fairly reasonable the price increases are out running the interest most people would pay on a loan. You're still working and don't have lots of time to travel you can still have it to vacation in and enjoy now. Having "been there-done that" I can tell you from personal experience that retirement will be here before you know it. ---pieman

PS --i'm not a salesman
Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Over the past couple years new Airstreams have increased in price dramaticly!!!, some models as much $10-$12,000. Even if your plans are for a nearly new or used to refurbish you can expect these $$$ increases to trickle down to the used market. If financing is necessary and with interest rates still fairly reasonable the price increases are out running the interest most people would pay on a loan.
PS --i'm not a salesman
Welcome to the forums... you've come to the right place to support your Airstream habit....I would agree with the pieman’s thought process... buy it now, and start enjoying your Airstream for vacations. I'm not retiring anytime soon, but this is one of the best things we’ve purchased for the family. I knew it would be fun, but didn’t expect to love it this much.
If you do need to finance your purchase, you can write off the interest on your taxes Uncle Sam views it as a second home.
So narrow down what size and floor plan you want so you can match up the proper tow vehicle… have fun, ask questions, and search the threads you will not find another place with more information.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I have to underscore the previous writers: Don't wait for retirement. My wife and I looked and thought and worried and worried and thought and looked for far too long. I am so glad we took the plunge while we're still young enough to take our kids 'streaming with us. So much wasted time ... It's been the best thing we've ever done for our family and each other. Get one now while you still have the energy to get out of the trailer and DO stuff, wherever it is that your AS takes you. That's the real enjoyment of it for me.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote