Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Originally Posted by Bullet4sale
You either understand the BC or you don't. The BC is for the people that have a motorcycle, kayak, multiple bicycles and quite frankly don't wont to spend time in a camp ground. Most of the people we have sold wanted to get back to "real camping". They don't have $40-$50k for a Bambi and don't wont one. If you want a shower and a toilet then the BC doesn't work. If you want to take your 4 wheeler,fly rod and do some real camping than this is a no brainer.
It's amazing how many Folks don't get this...
It's not about the cost, but how you plan to use it. If you want an AS,and you want a "toy hauler", this is your only option (at this time). Many Basecampers are hauling motor cycles...that is the point! Can't do that with a Bambi!

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Ok, so the public is not privy to the dealer scuttlebutt. Thanks for the heads up. Still not "Official" till AS puts it in a public statement. Have they done that yet? If so, I would think that this makes them "very collectible." Where does the BC rank at say....300 units compared to all other ASs (oops, can I say that?) models?
It is too bad, they are right tight little dudes!
Instant Classic Potential if there ever was.
Each AS model is built to serve its purpose and market.
Thats why AS doesn't have just one model.
PS it is about the cost, but cost vs benefit!

He didn't expect; he was not disappointed!
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Personally I think AS is really missing the boat on this one. Most people that have purchased the BC love them. Our sales really didn't get going until this year and then AS decided to kill it. Saying it has no profit in the unit.
I think they need to keep production up on the units just to get new blood in the door. Then maybe they will upgrade down the road when life changes kids,wife,jobs....
hey what do I know.
Bullet4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Basecamp Limited Edition?

Did I see that recently? This might be Code for end of Days, read production. From all counts, looks like my bet for end of production is August 08. Everything is lining up for smallest production numbers of any model since the beginning of AS? I like the Edsel analogy, you know what mint Edsels are going for today, $$$? You may not like the looks, but the bottom line cooks. Like to look at the Airstream Corporations books for total cost of design, development and production. BCs might be the most expensive per square foot value I've ever seen. Perfect opportunity to buy Rolling Real Estate for pennies on the dollar!
He didn't expect; he was not disappointed!
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
While I've never been a fan of the Basecamp, I think it serves a niche in the market. And with gas prices skyrocketing, having an RV that is small and easy to tow with a small vehicle certainly will have appeal. I'd like to see AS produce some 11-13' Bambis and maybe a Teardrop!

Check these out:

Airstream could capture a segment of this market.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2008 532 International
Rye, East Sussex , UK
Giroudon - Airstream Europe now sell the Basecamp in EU spec.

Check out European Basecamp < Gallery < Product Family | Airstream Europe : Airstream Basecamp

Your nearest dealers are in the UK or in the Netherlands. UK price is about 25,000. With the strength of the Euro I would imagine you would be better off buying in the UK right now.

Bonne chance!

They all laugh because we're different.

We all laugh because they are all the same.
ajdesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
TOPEKA , Kansas
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Wow. Not unexpected though. OK, back to the original poster. Your profile says Philadelphia - the good news is that Colonial Airstream of New Jersey is a bit over an hour away from you - and they have LOTS of Airstreams on the lot including Basecamps. GO there! Check them ALL out. Plan to spend several hours - sit down, pretend you're trying to brush your teeth, use the throne and close the bathroom door at the same time, etc. Brochures and floorplans are useless compared to actually visiting the lot. (BTW negotiate a minimum of 15% off everything.)

I'm betting along with some of the others that in a Bambi will win your attention over the Basecamp... but I could be wrong.

I have a friend whose home was damaged by a tornado. She'll be camping in my "Sparestream" next to my Airstream for about 2 weeks until the damage is repaired. A Basecamp as guest quarters won't work.... a Bambi would. Imagine your mother-in-law coming to visit. Would it be nice to have "guest quarters" for her (or you if you choose to vacate your bedroom) that don't include seeing her teeth in a glass of water first thing in the morning... much less hearing the hacking cough that takes 45 minutes for her to clear while you're eating breakfast?

Glad you've joined our humble assembly.

Foiled again . . . you would really put your mother-in-law in an aluminum can in the driveway? She must not be as tough as mine . . .

wekaAIR is offline   Reply With Quote