Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
shawnee , Kansas
bambi looking

What a great forum. Soon to be retired paramedic firefighter looking for a used 16 bambi. We went across the US with Grandparents as children in one and now the wife and I are ready. In the kansas city area so if anyone hears anything give us a shout. Thanks
mfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I know that Bambi is waiting out there for you. Check the classifieds and Fred's Page. http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/
Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoster
What a great forum. Soon to be retired paramedic firefighter looking for a used 16 bambi. We went across the US with Grandparents as children in one and now the wife and I are ready. In the kansas city area so if anyone hears anything give us a shout. Thanks
We were in Tucson AZ a month ago and I think Joe at Oasis RV had a left over 2004 16' CCD. if he still has it I imagine he's anxious to move it.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I drove past Oasis RV a couple of days ago, it looked like there was a 16' and a 19' in their yard.

Funny, I went all the way to New York state to get my "used-but-not-abused" 1999 19' Safari, but that's a long story.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
shawnee , Kansas
bambi

Wow...what great results already. Thanks mike and snake for the heads up in Tucson. I'm not real sure yet what the difference is other than the interior of the CCD vs Safari. I know the wife like the look of the Safari a little better. I may give the dealer in Tucson a call to get a feel on price. I was hoping for used vs new but hey...I'll take new.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
The search is half the fun!

I was looking for my airstream for over a year. I started looking at vintage models, saw a lot of trailers with "potential". I drove a lot of miles around Southern Arizona.

Finally, I decided that with a small business to run that I didn't have time for a major restoration project.

It wasn't until after I started to dicker with the owner at Oaisis RV for a new unit (who pays list price anyway?), that I came across just the Bambi that I wanted in the Online RV Trader.

Based on looking at photos on the internet I made an offer, the rest is history.

I was considering both the 16' and 19' units, I'd like to offer some of my observations on the two models:

The 19' is actually only 31" longer then the 16'

The load capacity of the 16' is limited, if you add an AC, Spare tire, fill the water and propane tanks, there's only 80 lb left to reach the maximum gross vehicle weight of 3,500 lb.

I don't have any objection to the wet bath in the 16', but the combined black and gray tank means that if it fills up, you'll be standing in it.

Lot's of luck to you, mfoster, the search is half the fun, now I'm looking for the perfect tow vehicle.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

19'Bambi

I looked at both the 16 and 19 foot CCD's along time and finally decided on the 19'. For 2 people and a dog it is great, The 16' just didn't seem to have enough space and my wife did not like the galley or bathroom.. I spend most of the time outside so I don't feel cramped in the 19 footer . If I was in there all day it might be a different story though. It tows like a dream behind my F150 with the 5.4 V8. I am really glad we got it. I know you will love one also.
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #8

1967 20' Globetrotter
Reinbeck , Iowa
Wife & I recently bought 1964 Bambi II, found stored on a farm about 20-miles from our farm in Iowa. We have it stored on our farm, trying to decide which way to go with it. (We're using our '67 Globetrotter we bought and restored about six years ago.) The Bambi II is all original in pretty good shape. Should we keep it original? Should we make it an all electric with AC, elec. stove, fridge, H2O heater, etc. Original is nice, but air conditioning is nice, too. Any opinions out there?
Bumsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi mfoster......

the search is sooooooooo much fun. this time of year everyones got the itch...so fewer units are available....ya gotta shake the trees for the ripe ones...

why not consider a 22/23? not much more money than a bambi...but so much more space/comfort and features....for 2 people who plan much travel....bambi gets tight.

this nearby dealer has 3-4 new units.....

http://www.airstreamofarkansas.com/index.html

no used ones listed but give them a call, they may have something that's not on the website yet....and they move too fast sometimes to list....

very good folks and easy to deal with as a customer...

also some here on the forums....has a nearly new/used 22....for sale....

she is right here.....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...row-21687.html

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
My wife and I traveled quite a bit last year in our 19' Bambi and consider it to be the perfect size for just the two of us. I stepped into a 23 footer a couple weeks ago at a show and admit that I was very tempted.

But, I got over it.
For now.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:12 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi silverranger......

you are of course, correct and really whatever size we have is the perfect size...

also i admit my perspective on size is distorted some what.....
with the 17x2 bambi....
camp host always ask...."how many campers?"
and look at me strangely when i respond..."just me".....

could i even find parking in delaware?

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	is this too long.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	20023  
Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
shawnee , Kansas
Red face still on the hunt

2airishuman thanks for the ideas. I have been eyeing the 19 and appreciate the info on weight etc. but worry some about mpg plus pulling the rig. We have never pulled a trailer before a small boat yes but not a trailer. Plus I know if you are going to get a trailer worrying about mpg is not a real option. We both really like the Bambi 16 but standing in the gray/black water was not a pretty picture. Still on the hunt here in KC.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Mfoster,
Welcome to the forums! I'm afraid you're in AS no man's land in Shawnee, KS. If you look at the AS forums map (where forums members are located), the only ones you see are in the KC area (1 or 2 I think). We make it back to KS a couple of times a year to see family in Abilene, and now that I've got aluminitis, I'm always looking for them! I hardly ever see any, except traveling on I70 on their way to somewhere else. I told my brother (in Abilene) when he was interested in AS's, he should check out Bill Thomas in STL. I think they're the major midwest dealer. We had a 2004 22' CCD for 10 months before deciding we needed more room. We listed ours on Airstream.com classifieds. It sold within a month after listing it! Happy buyer and seller!
So be sure to check that out.....and good luck in securing another AS in the Heartland!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I know there is a forum member in Montana, dieterdog, who has a 16ft Bambi she is wanting to sell. I believe she bought a 25ft Safari to replace it because she goes boondocking so much and needed bigger tanks. You might contact her.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
I have been eyeing the 19 and appreciate the info on weight etc. but worry some about mpg plus pulling the rig. We have never pulled a trailer before a small boat yes but not a trailer.
hi mfoster......

mpg doesn't change much from model to model.....during acceration and hill climbing weight is an issue but while crusing it's mostly frontal area/pushing air that matters...most airstream towing rigs get mpgs of 10-14mph depending on speed of travel and grade....while towing.

assuming you have the horses to tow....pulling a short one isn't any easier than pulling a long one....many folks think 2 axle units tow better....

i've got a 34 and towing is easy....much easier than i ever expected...and like you, it is the first trailer i have ever pulled....having had mohos previously.....

yes there are potential campgrounds that may not fit all trailers but this is a bigger issue in discussion than practice...and varies by region...with so many big class a and 5th wheels in use....finding a spot isn't a major issue....

deciding your budget is personal. older airstreams still cost more than older sobs....and are worth it imo....new models are expensive regardless of length.....but look at the prices by length and model.....the 2 axle models aren't much more than a 19...and have many more user features....

there are many members here how have moved up a size, then done it again....in short time frames....and this fun...but not the most thrifty way to airstream...

some important issues....how long are your trips.....will you always have hookups.....do you plan to boondock and how much water will you carry while doing this.....how much gear do you plan to carry....will your travels be mostly in mild weather....so the outdoor becomes part of the trailer...or will there be times when you are inside with a deck of cards or the tube...how much bed space do ya need....do ya want a seprate shower/head or a combo wetbath...plan to cook indoors....either of you weight more than 150lbs......

the great fun in finding the right airstream is that there are so many options for the simple silver tube.....

dispite being such a small percentage of the rv market......and not seeing so many on the road.....there are LOTS of airstreams available.....so don't jump with money at the first one....

look at as many units as possible, visit dealers, knock on doors, get inside the trailers whenever possible....

while dealerships mostly have new models.......you can sit and fiddle and try them on for hours.....while thinking outloud together how it will be used, and the great adventures ahead....and this time of year they have newer trade ins, from folks going up 2-3ft in size....

i'll be out at hillsdale lake next week with mine....and pomona the next week...i'll be in the long shiney one, in the picture above.
pm me if ya want to take a look...

if i come across any bambis while traveling these next few months...i'll drop you a note...

enjoy your shopping and the travels ahead....hope ta see ya on the road.....
cheers'
2air'
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
shawnee , Kansas
toairishuman

Thanks for the note and advice. Still on the hunt but are looking at Casitas trailers. Yes I know not an airstream but the price is right and they are fairly light. We may try it for our first trailer and can always upgrade to an airstream, if we find the trailer life appealing. Have fun at Hillsdale the crappie should be bitting.