Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Tsawwassen , British Columbia
Bambi II #16

We are the proud new owners of a badly beaten Bambi II.

When we first heard that there was one for sale in our neighbourhood we were ecstatic and didn't care how much work she would take......now I'm rethinking....a little late.

The outside looked good as far as we could tell and we knoew the floor was soft by the entryway, but didnt realize that that meant ripping out the entire interior to find that someone had put another layer of plywood ontop of the old rotten floor years ago. When we lifted the first bit we got what represented Bark Mulch...bigger job than we thought.

The C-channel is corroded and so are the elevator bolts holding it down.

I thought Id try to take some of the paint off the interior to get a look at the alluminum, but there are at least 4 layers of paint over the Zolatex...again...bigger job than I thought.

You other airstream renovators get my admiration after starting this project. Im only one week into this project and am learning that this may be a test to help strengthen my patience. I feel like I know so little.

SO Questions to the airstream gurus out there:

1. How the heck do I get this floor up and how can I replace the c-chanels that are corroded.

2. I have been stripping paint with AIA industrial paint remover and scraping. Takes about 4 times. ANy other paint stripping advice?

3. Where do I find Nuvite polish in Canada? Vintage RV is out. Any other polish work well? What do people use as a clearcoat afterwards?

4. Any other Bambi II owners out there with insight on layout rearrangement?

Thanks.....looking forward to my dream rv.........one day. Until then I'll keep working along.

As of day 7 we have the inside gutted (minus the bathroom) and are almost ready to tackle the floor.
hazelbambiII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
1. The best way to pull the floor up is to pull the shell off. After you get the deck off you can access the frame.
2. Strip the frame with a small grinder and a heavy duty wire brush (WIRE WHEEL)
3. Use black bar and a vented wheel to polish the body. Just don’t over heat the aluminum. I've hear that w-d 40 works well for the body after. Not sure on that one.
4. Good luck
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Here's a few threads.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f147...ler-75011.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-17197.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...irl-31084.html

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Thanks guys! Staring at hazel (bambi) and thinking about taking off shell. I'm working in an open space (no cover) so I'm a little nervous, but I guess it should be fine heading into summer.

Do you simply remove belly pan and inner c channel, then have a few people lift it off?
Anyone know where to buy new c channel or an alternative
Thank again.

After a good night sleep...not as intimidated by the project. Tackle a little at a time and learn a lot
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Look at the bambi II Rescue thread and as for the c channel I read on a thread just this morning that some hvac places can fabricate some for you also when you raise the shell have it braced I used 2 by 6s look at my thread caravel with issues. You will find the work rewarding and you will know that it is safe and right when you are done! Welcome to the forums and please post some pictures! Use the go advanced button!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Courage! Fellow Bambi II owner. We have number 52. From our experience, figure twice your time and cost estimates...at least.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Bambi ii update

So far we've removed the first few coats of the paint on the front. (The image only shows the first pass, but most of it removes after the 4th pass of paint remover). 50 years of layers of paint is a messy job!!

Anyone have any ideas about how to remove the bathroom wall and shower? Where do I cut the abs....or just remove all of it?

This is getting scary now.......but a little exciting when I revealed that shiny aluminum from under the paint!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4030.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	187766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4033.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	187767  

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	187768  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
This is our Bambi

Some pictures of the process so far. Rotten floor, gutting interior, and her pretty exterior.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4029.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	187769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	187770  

Name:	IMG_0298.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	187771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	187772  

Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Awesome airstream and fun looking project. I cut all of the vent and drain pipes so that they could be removed! No problem replacing pictures and a drawing of how they were laid out helps. For her age and condition you were pretty lucky so far. Do you weld or know a welder? I am asking because you may need to repair the frame which is very doable and if you can weld you can save a few bucks. Your project may appear overwhelming at times just make a process plan like tear down (basic) then frame and floor then shell and so on. We are to the frame and floor part and look forward to each few hours we get to work on her. You are doing great so far and thanks for the pictures!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
No, not a welder, but we had her frame,axel,and brakes checked out at sealandrv when we got her nd they said she looked good, but of course he couldn't see under the belly. What should I look for o know if something has to be welded o fixed?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Since a large part of the frame problems happen because of water leaks and poor maintenance and almost forgot age. Look at the belley pan in the back of the trailer to see if there is a small 38 by 26 inch or so panel. If so drill those rivets out and drop that panel this will also give you a chance to look at your dump valve and condition of insulation. look at the exposed frame there may or will be surface rust but no holes. next look at your wheel wells there are 2 outriggers that are not covered again surface rust but no holes. be careful when dropping any part of the belley pan for falling material ie, dirt fiberglass dead rivets rotted wood chips ect. DO NOT panic if there are a few issues as it can all be fixed and it does not have to cost a fortune. If you have 2 layers of floor and the bottom 1 is "soft" you really need to check the frame. OBTW the wheel well outriggers are in front and behind the tire and are curved. Last look at the grooved guides to your steps the ones that the step arms sit in. I am not a pro or expert but there are many on this forum and I am sure that they cand provide a more complete guide.
Still a nice looking Bambi.
Cliff
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Cliff, do I need to drop that panel by the dro valve I I'm removing the whole floor anyways? Is this to see another view of the frame? What size rivits did you buy to put it bak in place?
Thanks or the help
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I went to vintage trailer supply and ordered the large flange rivets not that expensive and if you want to clean up the mess and replace the insulation then dropping the belly pan would be good. Besides you can repair any holes or replace or patch any rips. Last but not least if there are any issues with the frame you will probably have to drop the belly pan anyway.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I did mention the back area because it was installed for easy removal for sewer maintenance. And yes most of the time the damage is isolated between that and the door area.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I answer late most of the time because I work mids and have breaks that allow me to view the forums
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
This is what the inside will look like after 4 passes of stripper and mineral spirits. Still have haze of zolatone in places. A week of work and only this much done....but gives me hope that it is possible
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3908389118.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	187979  
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes it is possible and if nothing else you will learn to take your time cuz something will slow you down as it has me! dont let those fumes get to you and keep up the awesome work! soon you will be the pro!
Cliff
Old 03-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
HazelbambiII

Help! Almost 2 years later and we are still struggling with where to go next. Body is off and frame has been fixed and repainted.
We had a baby and haven't touched it since. We need to put a new floor in but now can't remember much about where to go? Find or make c channel and reinstall floor then body?
Does anyone know or could send pictures?
Help
Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
First did you make a template for the floor? Next for all but the curved sections you can have the c channel made at any hvac prefab shop they need a piece of the old stuff. If you do not have a template for floor you can get a rough idea from the shell but take your time I have to get back to it myself (daughters and grand children) something always slows you but remember that helps for us get it done now because with no breaks we tend to make mistakes or at least more than usual mistakes.
Cliff
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #20
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
shell off and trailer base done

Thanks. This is where I am struggling. The floor was so bad that it crumbled in my hands. While I was pregnant, my husband and our friend took the shell off so i could reinforce and blast the trailer frame. We did not have a template. we have the shell off and have attempted making a template with cardboard and are going to try that with wood today, but given the flexibility of the shell, I am concerned! How accurate does it have to be?
I was thinking of jigsawing out a template on scrap plywood and placing the shell on a dryfit before cutting it out of good 1/2 inch and epoxying it.

Any wisewords of advice? The width seems to be exactly 7' and the curves on front and back are different (are they supposed to be).

What have I gotten myself into. Getting pretty scared at this point