Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I answer late most of the time because I work mids and have breaks that allow me to view the forums

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Tsawwassen , British Columbia
This is what the inside will look like after 4 passes of stripper and mineral spirits. Still have haze of zolatone in places. A week of work and only this much done....but gives me hope that it is possible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3908389118.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	187979  

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes it is possible and if nothing else you will learn to take your time cuz something will slow you down as it has me! dont let those fumes get to you and keep up the awesome work! soon you will be the pro!
Cliff
Old 03-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #18
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
HazelbambiII

Help! Almost 2 years later and we are still struggling with where to go next. Body is off and frame has been fixed and repainted.
We had a baby and haven't touched it since. We need to put a new floor in but now can't remember much about where to go? Find or make c channel and reinstall floor then body?
Does anyone know or could send pictures?
Help
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
First did you make a template for the floor? Next for all but the curved sections you can have the c channel made at any hvac prefab shop they need a piece of the old stuff. If you do not have a template for floor you can get a rough idea from the shell but take your time I have to get back to it myself (daughters and grand children) something always slows you but remember that helps for us get it done now because with no breaks we tend to make mistakes or at least more than usual mistakes.
Cliff
Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
shell off and trailer base done

Thanks. This is where I am struggling. The floor was so bad that it crumbled in my hands. While I was pregnant, my husband and our friend took the shell off so i could reinforce and blast the trailer frame. We did not have a template. we have the shell off and have attempted making a template with cardboard and are going to try that with wood today, but given the flexibility of the shell, I am concerned! How accurate does it have to be?
I was thinking of jigsawing out a template on scrap plywood and placing the shell on a dryfit before cutting it out of good 1/2 inch and epoxying it.

Any wisewords of advice? The width seems to be exactly 7' and the curves on front and back are different (are they supposed to be).

What have I gotten myself into. Getting pretty scared at this point
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
It can all be done and your sanity can remain intact.

Check out our forum pages at "Ben and Lynn's Bambi II Re-Do" under the Bambi II section under "trailers" in the forums.

I did a shell-on renovation and also had lots of soft flooring. I was able to make some templates using original floor, but mine did not seem quite as bad as your sounds.

Takes lots of elbow grease and patience, but it is worth it in the end. We are camping in ours even though it is not finished. Unfinished Airstreams make great solid-walled tents! Life, work, completion of a doctoral degree, and having two little girls during the restoration have slowed me down, but I am still enjoying the process.

I am looking forward to getting back to it here soon. The weather is finally breaking here in SE PA.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Our floor was crumbling too when we pulled up the shell. We traced what we thought was about the right curve & cut it a bit larger than that. We put it under the shell & dropped it to see if it was close & trimmed the floor. There is a little room for fudging & you can skoot the shell into place if you don't get it in exactly the right place.

I had the c-channel fabricated at a local metal shop. I had them make it as a straight piece & I cut wedges out of it on my bandsaw so it could make the curves.

Name:	c-channel close up.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	234831

Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner! Congratulations on the baby...now to get your camper ready so you can go camping!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
While you have your shell off, you should consider a couple of things....
1. Do you want to add grey tanks? They are available at Vintage Trailer Supply and are really a great addition to a vintage trailer.
2. Do you want to keep your spare tire under your trailer & out of the way? This is a great time to put one in.
3. Think about your wiring. Your brake wires & rear tail light wires can be run at this time.
4. How is your axle? It's probably shot & should be replaced. Now is the time to do it.

I'll attach a couple more pictures of our old frame & new frame, etc. We made a new 4" frame (it was beyond repair)

Name:	DSC03226.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	234832

Name:	DSC03227.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	234833

Name:	DSC03228.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	234834

Name:	DSC_0125.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	234835

Name:	DSC_0178.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	234836

Don't you like how they cut the main rail in the frame!? It was in the way of the shower drain so they just cut it! Wowza

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #24
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
C/U channel

Thanks Becki!
You know it's strange, I had just been reading your blog and was trying to figure out how to email you when I noticed an airstream forum response in my inbox. Crazy!

Did you just use the old c-channel shape or did you make a new shape?
What did you ask for at the metal shop to get the right size and material?
Would you recommend putting on vinyl flooring tile on subfloor before c-channel so it sits on top or wouls you do c channel then flooring as close as possible to c- channel. we are thinking of vinyl wood flooring.

I'm so scared that the shell won't fit on wood and c-channel after all this work we've gone to already.

We are looking into wiring, but I don't know much about grey and water tanks yet.

We are debating about not putting a bathroom back in. Is that crazy?
Tasha
Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #25
Hazel Bambi II

1964 17' Bambi II
Becki,
why did you fit the aluminum onto the trailer at the front like the pic you sent me?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Bathrooms can be a real convenience if the situation arises. Even a small black tank and a small gray tank can make a trip much nicer. Even if they are only big enough for one day. Trust me. I have no documentation to prove this, just experience, peace,jim
Old 03-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The picture in post #22 is actually of my husband's hands as he is cutting the new banana wrap. We had to make new, since our new frame is 4" instead of the original 3" (and there wasn't much of the original that was salvageable). If I remember correctly, I took a piece of the original c-channel to the metal fabricator shop & asked them to bend aluminum to the same shape. I used a little heavier thickness of aluminum than original, because it was pretty flimsy. I drilled it all myself & cut relief cuts for bending the curves. We put our vinyl flooring down after the c-channel. The shell was back on when we did the floor. The floor was done after all the wiring was complete & the interior walls were back in. You will have to take all of them out to redo your wiring, as well as your endcaps. Don't drill out the buck rivets in your endcaps, tho. They're held on by the pop rivets just on the edges. The endcaps come out as one piece.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
And I agree with Zigzagguzzi about the bathroom. Especially if you have children. It's a great convenience! I love my itty bitty bathroom :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S