Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina
Bad case of Airstream fever

Hello all!

Have never owned an RV. Though I had not seriously considered owning one, I have been attracted to Airstreams since childhood. Wife has had some interest in having a "camper" since our tent-camping days in the 70's. Recently, while driving to NC on I-95, when passing a couple pulling a new Bambi, we commented that it looked nice and the size appeared manageable. We did not discuss it further but the worms were working.

The very next day, my wife casually mentioned that we might visit a nearby Airstream dealer, just to see what we could learn. I had been thinking the same thing. No harm in just looking, right? Right! Having visited the dealer in Colfax, NC, near Winston-Salem, and the dealer in Cayce, SC, nearer home, we are leaving today to visit two dealers in FL.

We think we have settled on the Safari 28, but want to look at a few more to see all the color schemes and options before spec'ing one out and committing. In any case, we are getting close and are excited about the prospect of joining the AS community.

Hope to see you on the road, soon!

Regards,
Ernie (and Joyce)
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Hello -

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to post any questions you may have and you'll get good answers from folks who know Airstreams the best - those who own them.

We just de-winterized our AS and spent the weekend in it. We pur 5,000 miles on it last year and will probably put about 2,000 on this year (gas costs).

We have a 28' International - we started out looking at 19 foot Bambi, but decided on the 28 footer - 19 feet seems awfully small on rainy days!

Best of luck - if it is convenient to your schedule, a trip to the factory and the factory tour will help answer a LOT of your questions!

steve & susan
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Brand New!!!!!!!!

Good morning Ernie and Joyce,
So I understand you have been bitten by the Airstream bug. I was several years ago, and we (Dianne and I) still travel extensively with ours, both with the WBCCI club and alone or another couple.
I'm surprised that you are considering brand new not knowing whether or not you will even like or enjoy towing a trailer, the work involved, the equipment it requires (the proper tow vehicle for the chosen rig, etc.) Bear in mind, I am NOT trying to talk you out of the new trailer, however, some of the older units, and they can be from 40 years old to 2 years old, can be purchased very reasonably for a couple of years use, and for gaining experience on what you like and don't like, then your search for the Brand new one would be even that much more fun!
Whatever path you choose, welcome, and enjoy the fun of Airstreams!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Bad case of Airstream

Welcome to the world of Airstream. I hate to tell you this but it only gets worse, once you get your dream stream then you buy all the books you can on the history. Then you get on this forums every chance you get and then you find yourself on Tuesday chat night here and the list goes on and on. Good luck on the hunt!!!!
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I am certain you will enjoy many years of fun and good company while camping.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Airstream Bug

Well, Well, Well,..... Another one bits the dust !

It's a bad bug to get. (That Airstream Bug). If you don't watch out it could become a Pandemic !

By the way, A Safari 28 is on the other end of the spectrum from a Bambi.
What happen?

Anyway, Happy Trails.

Safari-Rick
2005 AS-25 LS

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
dublin , California
Welcome

Also new to the forum. Kudzu is much like the Airstream fever, you can't get rid of it. Best of luck.
rbkhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ernie and Joyce,

Welcome to the Forum and the associated addictions that come with it!

If you're headed to FL and going to Bates RV Exchange in Tampa, ask for a salesman named Don Harkins. I bought my 19CCD from him and he was very knowledgeable, honest and always accessible. Tell him that I sent you!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Run away! Run away while you still can. There is no rational explanation or demonstrated cure for alumaholism.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
"...if it is convenient to your schedule, a trip to the factory and the factory tour will help answer a LOT of your questions!"

Definitely looking for an opportunity to do that.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
"I'm surprised that you are considering brand new... ...some of the older units... ...can be purchased very reasonably..."

Good advice. We have been looking at both new and used. The appeal of spec'ing one exactly like we want it is pretty seductive, however. To me, as a newbie to all this, there is also some comfort in having a dealer to provide a little hand holding and a warranty to work through the bugs. The downside, of course, is the financial hit we will take if we are wrong about what we will be happy with in the long run.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
" By the way, A Safari 28 is on the other end of the spectrum from a Bambi.
What happen?"

After looking at all different sizes, we think we would be happier longer with something in the 25-28 foot range. Have to admit that I am intimidated by the idea of towing something that large. Most of my towing experience has been pulling horse trailers, usually a two-horse, occaisionallly a four-horse.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:38 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
"...ask for a salesman named Don Harkins. ... Tell him that I sent you!"

Will do.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Kudzu,
One of the things that you should try to come to terms with is the way you will use the unit. Will it be for 3 day weekends-boondocking or plugged up to full hook ups; will it be for a one/two week vacation during which time you are in a single campground or traveling everyday staying at Walmart's campground, the Elk's campground, Flying J or KOA; will it be two/three months traveling coast to coast, caravann trips, etc?
Now, with that in mind, look at floor coverings (have pets?) wall coverings, bed choices (Snore Kudzu? or have to crawl out to the john 3 times a night?) look especially hard at the storage capabilities. I could go on.
What tow vehicle? Is it a truck, Subrban or Excursion, a heavy duty van? Storage/comfort are greatly effected with these choices. If you are not gonna pull greater than a 28', a heavy duty dually might be slight overkill, especially on some of the finer roads(much sarcasm there) our country has to offer.
Good luck, but don't hold your breath waiting on a salesman to hold your hand. Some of the folks who have answered your posts are multiple times more capable of giving you a detailed orientation. Keep on posting and reading.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I think the 28 has the best compromise between size and floorplan. It's the smallest model with a full sized bed, dinette, and sofa. Our 25 is also good, but the bed is smallish and difficult to make in the corner.

On the other hand many state park, national park, and national forest campgrounds have length limitations. The 28 will keep you out of some spots.

A new trailer will depreciate quickly. If you can find a slightly used one you may come out ahead if you decide to sell in a few years. But shop around carefully.

I bought our Safari new at a dealer in Dover, FL for 25% discount off list, which was cheaper than the 1-3 year old used ones I could find at the time. But see my 2003-2004 posts about the dealer experience...