Old 07-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #15
F150 4X4 ProPride

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Fred!

USAF FE and Airline IP here. 30' FC Twin! F150 Platinum you should do fine with the Denali. We thought the 28 was the sweet spot but ended up with a 30. Long story. Dinette and separate Lounge for two siting areas. Twins gave 2 of us good room to stand up and get dresses at the same time. Look at the hitch forum and read up on Hensley and ProPride. A lot opinions but you will get the idea. Drop a line and find out if we have crossed paths or not.

Regards,
Dave

Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

I'm still looking. Lost the way back to this discussion! I can fly around the world, and get lost in AirForums!?! Looking at a 2005 Classic in 30'. Way cheaper than a new 27' FC! From the same dealership I've been talking to here in N CA. Any advice on new vs used?

1991 Fleetwood Limited
AR# 100575
fredflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Fred,
How handy are you? I know you have tired of fixing things, but as the third caretaker (owner), I have only had one trip in 3 years of owning our 1999 that we decided to cancel the trip.... There were a couple weeks we spent time "upgrading"...by choice...that took the AS out of service, but never has it neared "hangar queen" status.

Buying "new" means the dealer will have to fix problems. You will have to get "on the list" to achieve repairs. Hopefully the first time it will be fixed.

Now, it sure is fun having "new", you are the folks who will be first to use the AS... And second to "tow"... But a big depreciation hit. If you are blessed to justify that, go for it. the other advantage.. Possible chance for fewer issues... At least in first few uses. While the AS is a better product, they do not make all the bits and pieces. So, that is likely where you can expect "fallout".

If you buy new, ask the dealer what their policy is for "swapping" to a different AS should the first not meet your needs... Probably not much.

If I were in your shoes, I would find a used AS. Some folks buy and rarely or never use!!! You can then sell without losing a lot of money if it is not a match. (Still lose taxes)... This will be our path should we buy another.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:17 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

THANKS cwf!! I'm getting more serious about this 2005 Classic. We have a 2014 GMC Yukon Denali, short wheelbase, big engine, tow package, as our TV. I'm hoping that I don't have to get a larger truck. That Denali set me back a pile to start with!
1991 Fleetwood Limited
AR# 100575
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Fred,
I think
The Denali will do swell. BTW, what rear hatch do you have on Denali? Lift
Or dual swing?

I have an unreliable "remember-er"(memory)...but a few folks have had clearance issue when AS is hitched.

I presume you have a "brake controller" in the Denali....should be part of "tow" package.

Check your PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Rocky,

In addition to a full fledged system check out, see if you can get a pressure leak check included as part of the purchase, in clouding repair of anything discovered. I'd recommend you be present to witness the test.

As Channing mentioned a potential clearance issue, one possible solution is rotating the head on the tongue jack.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

The rear hatch is a lift up whole door hatch. Clearance would depend of the length of the hitch "stinger". I'll have to look for a brake controller.
1991 Fleetwood Limited
AR# 100575
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

"pressure leak check"?? You mean a system that overpressures the coach to check outgoing air for potential leaks?
1991 Fleetwood Limited
AR# 100575
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredflyer View Post
"pressure leak check"?? You mean a system that overpressures the coach to check outgoing air for potential leaks?

Yes, "shell pressurization" as well as the Hydraulic Braking system you may have on the AS...in place of electric brakes.