Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
1970 23' Safari
Cedar park , Texas
Austinite here :-) 1970 Safari 23'

Greetings forum!

My husband and i adopted a 1970 Safari 23' in basically "as found" condition. We will be doing a complete renovation, but have been able to camp in it as it has great skin, cold a/c, and pulls very well. We acquired her from someone who has become a good friend, a vintage trailer kindred spirit if you will. We miss our first little aluminum baby, a 1963 DeCamp (semi-canned-ham style), but our kindred spirit is taking care of her :-)

Our plan is to put a very modern interior in this Safari as none of the original features are salvageable. Original appliances are intact, as is the bathroom, but all beds/couches, cabinetry, and flooring need replacing. We'd love to hear from anyone else that has done a modern/minimalist/linear/raw materials style of renovation!

Shea78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Congrads......from just down the road a bit.....keep those vintage appliances , they seem to be better than the new ones .....airstreams in our area are really getting harder to find because they are the big thing for food trucks..

Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
In a van down by the river...

Newbie in Zilker 'hood. My 25FB will find me in Boise next week. Have lusted after a trailer for several years, found that saying yes makes many things possible.

Wish I had the confidence to re-build. Have watched a Frenchman on my bike route that refurbishes airstream trailers. Definitely, a labor of love.

h8rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Hey is that the Frenchman that is shipping all the little airstream over to Europe ?? Have heard about him from so many people here in Austin and when we were looking two years ago he was always getting them before we could even call......he is over near South 1st of the people in the HOTC group says it makes her sick to see him gut them and then ship them ....
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Mexico City , MX
Hello Shea, we also have a 1970 Safari. Itīs a great Rig since itīs easy to pull and park but has a great inner space to be comfortable. We went more for the restoration process when we fixed ours and we used some of the original appliances but we also put some new ones like the bathroom, the fridge, the blinds and the beds. here are some blogs of modern airstreams renovations maybe you can borrow some ideas:
Airstream Renovations - Modern House Plans - Hofmann Architecture
An Architect's Airstream: Plans
Good Luck
Lfemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
1970 23' Safari
Cedar park , Texas
thanks everyone!

i never thought i'd want to gut a vintage trailer until i saw what being a deer lease does to one. i'll check out those blog links, thanks!

also, my husband and i will post pics soon. we've taken a few exterior, but need to take several detailed interior pics :-) it'll be great to look back as our (by that, i mean almost entirely "his") work progresses.

Shea78613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Bothell , Washington
I'd love to see how this is coming along, Shea. Found this thread in my continuing search for my own 1970 Airstream Safari.

Christopher Doll
Artist, Designer, Scale Model Builder
WCBB# 24175
My Search for a 1970 Airstream Safari
BlackBirdCD is offline   Reply With Quote