Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
At long last...

I've gone full circle and finally bought a 25' Airstream, the rig that initially lit my RV travel fire. Looking at the date of my AS forum screen name that must have been about '07. Along the way I ended up being a fifth wheeler instead. They suited me and my travels well but it was time to try my first love.

I had taking another look at a 25 AS on the agenda, but not buying one. I was hot on the trail of my next fifth wheel, small, light, aluminum sided, quality construction (rare as hen's teeth). In my search this AS popped up about 175 miles from home. I decided to take a look and the rest is history.

The seller was a fascinating older gentleman who will turn 100 in April of '16. This was his fifth and last AS. He'd been as far as South America and Alaska in them. His favorite of all was his 34'er. Many wonderful stories and recollections came about during the trials and tribulations of transferring ownership.

The longish drive home gave me a good trial by fire and the rig lived up to any expectations I had. I sorely missed my fifth wheel during the initial hitch up and initial drive out through a rough section of road construction but the rest of the trip allayed any fears I'd developed. I'm thrilled with how easy it is to pull. I got locked up in a long period of stop and go rush hour traffic and the transmission temperature wasn't even an issue as it would have been in my heavier fifth wheels. I'm a 60 to 65 mph driver, mostly low 60s, and I was getting 15 mpg by the computer. In my bigger fifth wheel it was a consistent 10 and 13 in my smaller ones. 15 mpg thrills this broke traveler immensely.

I'm not looking forward to ripping out the carpet but I can tell I'm making no headway in my efforts with convincing my significant other that it adds character to the trailer. I was expecting significant floor rot but my ice pick testing only exposed one spot just behind the passenger side wheel well. And it looks like I'll need to hone my buck rivet skills but I'm up to the task.

I am fortunate to have a pole barn with an RV section. I'm unfortunate to have my house, a telephone pole, a pump house and fencing obstructing the access. I could never hope to work my 30' fifth wheel into the barn. My 23' fifth wheel I could get in, but it was a chore. I was unsure of just how this bumper pull 25' was going to be. It was a piece of cake. Much, much easier to back than my fifth wheels. Not that I really needed to to sold on this thing anymore but backing it with ease into the barn was the finishing touch.

Anybody want to buy a fifth wheel hitch and tail gate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream email.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	254440   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pole barn.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	254441  

Black7beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Welcome to the club! You will find you won't have to cringe at low overhangs, bridges, trees, near as much. You should look at for other members of the Airstream Owners Club near you, who can give you some inside information, literally, on how your rig is put together! Hope to see you down the road, 5809.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have and travel in a 25' and love it. For us ripping out the carpet and replacing it with a engineered laminate floor was a great change to improve livability. All carpeting adds is a place to store dirt.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Congratulations...I like my 25. It still has carpet. Mine is too nice to rip out yet.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
I replaced my my 19' Bambi, no regrets.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450923108.694307.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	254499

2002 Bambi LS
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote