Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
Aspiring Airstreamers

Looking for a late model International trailer.
My name is Don Gavin. Wife: Judy.
We live in Biloxi, MS. I've responded to a couple of ads on the forum, but haven't had a response.

Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi Gavin

Welcome to these forums. How is Biloxi these days? I was down there at a convention a few years ago and spent a free afternoon touring the older neighborhoods with a friend. Toured a museum where Jefferson Davis lived out his last years. Don't know how many (if any) of the old homes were spared. Saw one on the news with one of it's two big porch columns ripped away.

So are you looking for an Airstream to "driveway camp" in while your house is repaired or rebuilt, or do you want to travel? I know that the southern states are good locales to search for gently used Airstreams. You might want to go to your local library and see if they get newspapers from other cities within a couple of hundred miles of you. Dallas would be one I'd be looking at.

Many times e-bay and forums like this get such quick responses and so many reponses that you just don't get a real shot at even getting to see the trailers. Since I bought mine, I now seem to see them everywhere. If you see one that looks lonely in a field or back yard, try to meet the owner. I almost got an Argosy - which the woman never considered selling until I asked her about it. Hubby had passed several years ago, she couldn't travel, it had been sitting in a barn on jacks for 12 years.....

Drive slowly, have a card that says "Hi, My Name is ______________ my phone number is _______________ and I want to give an Airstream __________ a good home. Please call me if you are considering selling or know anyone who is." Drop that card at storage facilities, campgrounds, RV repair stores, or any time you see a silver tube in a yard, field, barn, etc.

Good luck on your search.

Tin Lizzie

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Try the Airstreamlist on Yahoogroups. There was an individual with a 28' CCD who wanted to sell or trade to a smaller unit.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Good luck another spot to try...

Welcome Don and Judy,
Another spot to try is the Vintage Airstream Club WBCCI (classifieds).
You've come to the right place for ideas!
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Finding your trailer

Don, we just finished a 4-month search. Try these:, or or

I always got responses to my inquiries about ads on this site - I think it was the best one. Some people don't provide emails, so you have to call. Some are a bit slow to answer (out on the road, perhaps?) But you might want to make sure you're pushing all the right buttons on your response (mechanically and linguistically).

By the way, until we found ours in Atlanta - a trade-in to a motorized RV dealer - we found almost nothing south of St. Louis... cleaned out. The supply is just now starting to come back online (in my opinion, but what do I know). We visited one dealer in Houston who said on the Saturday 3-weeks after Katrina, they sold 185 trailers in one day at sticker price - and they couldn't get more because FEMA had taken over their factory.

Good luck on your search.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Happy Hunting,

I got my Overlander on ebay and have not been unhappy or had a moment of doubt on my decision to buy it for even 1 second. Nervous about my abilities .......definitely.

There are many problems with my new home that I am sure the PO (who planned to restore it) was not aware of to inform me about. You really don't know until you start taking out carpet and fixtures and looking under the belly skin, but hey the tires were good and the brakes were fair.

As I understand, any vintage unit is a work in progress.

Good Luck!

dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote