Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #1

Saginaw , USA
Aspiring Airstreamer

I've been researching Airstreams for about 3-4 years now, knowing that someday, I'd find a way to have one. In fact, when we built our new home in 2007, I picked a lot where I would have access to build a parking pad in the backyard for her. The city (Saginaw-just north of the stockyards in Fort Worth) has said I can't build a full concrete approach, but I can use the easement for egress. The thought of leaving a trailer in an uncovered and poor security storage facility would not work for me.

A little more about us, I'm a teacher, at the same high school I graduated from, W. E. Boswell H.S (BHS Class of '95) I teach 10th Grade World History and 10th Grade Advanced Placement World History (where students can eventually test to receive some college credit). I've also been selling real estate in the same area for almost 15 years. I feel very called to both, even though it can be very demanding and difficult to keep up. My wife of 7 years is also a public servant. She's a trauma nurse (BSN TCU '04) at John Peter Smith. She is a trauma nurse clinician; she directs the trauma when it comes in and follows the patient through the hospital until they are discharged. We were friends in high school, but never dated. After high school she married and had a son, but like many marriages her's failed. Fast forward to December 2002, I was showing a house (not knowing that it was a high school friend of mines).....I saw my future wife's car in the mutual friends driveway. After showing the house I heard from the friend (she was wanting showing feedback) and I asked about my wife since I saw her name tag hanging from her rear view mirror when I showed the house....long story short, I got her number from our friend and called her up and the rest is history! We married June 14, 2003. Our son is 14 and will be a freshmen at my high school this fall! I have double degree from Abilene Christian University in history and political science (ACU 2000). We attend Richland Hills Church of Christ which is about 15 min from our home in Saginaw!

We attend Bloy's Camp Meeting in Fort Davis, Texas every August. Its an old Cowboy Gospel Meeting camp held in Skillman Grove just outside of Fort Davis. We enjoy the gospel meeting, the scenic drives around the Davis Mountains, and visiting the McDonald observatory. I was raised traveling around in the family suburban. My grandparents always wanted an RV, but were never able to afford one; however, they did have siblings who had them, and I always enjoyed touring with my Nana and her siblings. My Nana and I always admired the Cadillac of RVs, the Airstreams the most! She always said if she won the lottery, we'd have one and I could just drive her around all of the U.S. . I wish that day had come....but, she'll be with me when I get us one!

Right now we RV in our 1983 Coleman Sun Valley Pop Up and then we also rent a Palomino Thoroughbred from a nice man in Aledo. Most of our friends who RV have hard side campers. We like to head out for weekends to state parks. During the summer we like to hit National Parks and different cities! I love showing my son all of the great things the USA has to offer! I intend staying a few weeks every summer at my college buddies house in Arkansas. He built hook ups for us already!

It may seem strange my sharing all of this information, but in visiting with Airstream owners at state parks etc I have found Airstreamers have a very personal connection to their RV, and I would want you to know about the people who are taking over your silver palace!

In my few years of research, I've thought I would end up with a 70s model airstream, hopefully in original condition. I am not interested at all in Airstreams that have been remodeled. I want to find a vintage, original airstream that we can preserve and enjoy. As a history teacher I am enamored with Wally Bynam's forward thinking of Airstream's original design, from the Dura-Torque Axle to Aluminum bodies. I love the riveted design, the sealed under bellies, and all of the windows!

I will be towing with a 2008 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 TRD package 4x4. It has a 10,100 lb towing capacity and a 7300 lb GVWR and payload of 1550 lbs. I will probably put in some air spring helpers, and installing a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller....think that will work? I may end up going back to a 1 ton domestic pickup, but when diesel shot up I sold my F350 SRW which I purchased in preparation for my future Airstream. In fact, I built the house to fit the long bed crew cab F350, but when I saw the delay in the Airstream and diesel fuel sky rocketing, and our public servant budget, I traded out of the 2006 F350 in 2008 to the Toyota (normally by domestic, but my brother in law works for Toyota and his family plan helped me avoid any negative equity on my Ford I had just purchased 2007).

I'm looking forward to attending being able to become part of very special piece of history as an Airstream Owner! I think my family will enjoy tremendously being part of the Airstream family....I know I must sound kinda' cliche, but, if you're already an Airstream owner, I hope you understand my enthusiasm!

I truly appreciate your time in reading and answering these questions and offering any other insight you might have! I very much value other people's opinions and advice!

If you guys use Facebook, please look me up by name (or the email address I use for that is jwhardman@hotmail.com)!
100 Wood Drive
Saginaw, Tx 76179
jonathan@jonathanhardman.com
jwhardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Having an Airstream will certainly add to your hobbies. Welcome to the forums!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Welcome and enjoy the forums. I grew up just east of Saginaw in the Summerfield area many years ago (when it was brand new -- long before it was built up the way it is now, went to Keller HS '94). We are in the process of restoring and preserving a 1971 and feel the same way you do about preserving rather than replacing and the forwarding thinking-ness of the Airstream. You will find this community always willing to help and an invaluable resource during your restoration process.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream. Best of luck in finding that perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote