Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
AS Wannabees: 2001 Safari 25 SS ???

Hello All!

We currently own a 2005 30 foot Trail Cruiser but are looking to downsize to a two-person unit as our two teenage kids are starting to flaunt their indenpendence and stay home with their friends more and more (which we knew was inevitable).

Anyway, my DW and I are considering downsizing to a two-person-mostly-but-sometimes-four unit and are looking at a used 2001 Safari 25 SS our local dealer just took in on trade. We really like the newer FB units but there's no way we could afford a new one so will have to settle for a used model.

I understand that the the 2001's have the aluminum siding with bonded clear coat, and if the clear coat deteriorates for any reason (which by some reports is happening) the entire panel has to be replaced. In other words you can't strip and reapply the clearcoat in the future if required. This could get very expensive if and when the clear coat does start to deteriorate - and sooner or later it will.

Also, is the corner bed really that bad? We have a walk-around queen bed in our Trail Cruiser and the smaller 54" x 75" double surrounded by three walls has me concerned. I know this is a personal choice question, and I've read stories about owners trading up to the newer FB layouts largely to get away from the corner bed - but I'd like to hear from couples who find they get along fine with the rear corner bed layout and have no complaints - if there are any!

Cheers!
Gary in Ontario
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
First, welcome to the forums!

Clearcoat:
I guess it depends on what you mean by replace the panel. You may have to replace the clearcoat on a complete panel to get a smoother transition/match. You should not have to replace the aluminum panel.

Corner bed.
We had one in a 25' Safari. While it wasn't the best arrangement, it works. It is a common arrangement throughout the A/S line. It gets a little cosy, it is hard to make the bed due to the limited access.

Good luck in your search,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have the 25' SS. I sleep alone in the bed and it is fine. It is a little difficult to make up thoroughly. Two larger people would have to try it out (and be deeply in love), but with at least one smaller person it should be OK. The toilet is tight also.

Personally I have no regrets on this model, have had it for 3 years.

The corrosion issue is cosmetic. It isn't my biggest concern but there is a thread about it here on the forums you can thoroughly research. If the 2001 looks good now, it should still look good a year or two from now. In 10- 15 years you may need to have it stripped and re clear coated, or painted if you want it to look brand new. Any object stored outdoors for years and years will deteriorate significantly and an Airstream is no exception.

One thing to check is the flooring under the front sofa. Look for signs of moisture discoloration. There is an area which is poorly ventilated and leakage may not dry over the spare tire.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
First, welcome to the forums!

Clearcoat:
I guess it depends on what you mean by replace the panel. You may have to replace the clearcoat on a complete panel to get a smoother transition/match. You should not have to replace the aluminum panel.

Corner bed.
We had one in a 25' Safari. While it wasn't the best arrangement, it works. It is a common arrangement throughout the A/S line. It gets a little cosy, it is hard to make the bed due to the limited access.

Good luck in your search,
Dave
Thanks Dave! As for the clearcoat, what I've read is that since 1999 the panels have been supplied by Alcoa with a plastic clearcoat bonded to the sheet aluminum instead of applied afterwards by A/S. Apparently if corrosion begins, the whole panel must be replaced - you just can't remove and reapply the clear coat due to the new process.

I'm referring to this thread...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f236...sues-8654.html

Of course the clearcoat is not SUPPOST to deteriorate, but it will be damaged due to salt spray, branches etc. and if the only way it can be fixed is by replacing panels, for me thats a major future expense waiting to happen.

As for the corner bed, I guess it's been around for years, but it's pretty apparent that it's not too popular as most folks are opting for a queen in one orientation or another, or twins, but not the corner bed.

We might be able to live with the corner bed considering the 25 SS otherwise provides a reasonable amount of storage, and a separate couch and dinette table which we really want (not to mention a realistic 4 person sleeper) but if everyone hates the corner bed the resale value for this unit will suffer, along with my investment - and the dealer is asking a lot for this unit.

I guess it's buyer beware, as usual, and I'm going to be very cautious about this purchase.

Tx.
Gary
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
I have the 25' SS. I sleep alone in the bed and it is fine. It is a little difficult to make up thoroughly. Two larger people would have to try it out (and be deeply in love), but with at least one smaller person it should be OK. The toilet is tight also.

Personally I have no regrets on this model, have had it for 3 years.

The corrosion issue is cosmetic. It isn't my biggest concern but there is a thread about it here on the forums you can thoroughly research. If the 2001 looks good now, it should still look good a year or two from now. In 10- 15 years you may need to have it stripped and re clear coated, or painted if you want it to look brand new. Any object stored outdoors for years and years will deteriorate significantly and an Airstream is no exception.

One thing to check is the flooring under the front sofa. Look for signs of moisture discoloration. There is an area which is poorly ventilated and leakage may not dry over the spare tire.
Well my DW and I will have to fit on the corner bed so there's no option there! I'm really not too sure what to think about it. We know it's hard to make up but not impossible. At least once the fitted sheets are on it's just a matter of tossing the blanket/comforter on and not worrying about wrinkles!

The bathroom is tight (I've sat on the throne!) but I'm 6'1" and can fit so that's OK. Also we always use the campground showers and plan on using the shower as a linen closet. It's great having the sink outside the bathroom - that will reduce the need to get into the bathroom and squeeze through the door too often.

The 2001 is in great shape on the outside and that's encouraging, but I know in time it's going to deteriorate and will have to be dealt with sooner or later. I'm trying to educate myself on what the worst case scenario is so I don't lose my investment (I can buy a very nice new TT for less than price of this 7 year old A/S, so if it doesn't hold it's value, there's little point to purchasing one.)

Thanks for the tip about the leak - I'll check it out.

Regards,
Gary