Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The 23CB thread is titled for the older model. Look for the 23D. There is also a 23FB thread which has some cross over, but the D thread is more active.

We were surprised to meet a family with three kids in their 23D bunk model. Lots of folks in a small space. They were very happy with the choice. Betting you will be too. Rules on how the space is used will help. All pitching in so mom does not do it all makes a read difference. Simple and easy can be a real win.

Boating and RVing have similarities. We found a 20% upspend typical with a boat. Second anchor, radio, sails, grill, life vests .... Same with RV. Hitch, chairs, mat, grill, fire extinguisher, tools ..... However, the safety focus is on the TV and hitch as opposed to the anchor and PFDs. Your boat tells you it's overloaded by sitting lower than the water line. The RV needs a trip to the weight scales to check and tune. Boats have good training available. RV training is a bit more difficult to find but exists. Try you tube videos. They do help.

Use stuff from the house initially to stock the trailer. Upgrade as you find better solutions. You will have a lot left over from the boat if you kept it.

Hitch - the dealer will offer an EQ or a Blue Ox Weight Distribution Hitch with the deal. Go with the BO. The EQ is too stiff for the AS.

The RV should be loaded as you would a boat. Heavy items in the center over the axle and bulky light weight items in the ends. Storage is not always perfect for that distribution, but doable as you learn.

While you wait for your new coach, read the forum threads. Lots of information is available from folks who have been traveling with a shiny for lots of miles and lots of years. After you read the posts you will start to see individual perspectives on RV use. Dry camping leads you in a different direction than FHU park camping. WBCCI caravans and rally events are different from doing a trip yourself or with a friend. Try a bit of all to get the full experience of a shiny Airstream trailer.

The Seattle dealer is part of the group that includes Boise, Portland and two locations in the SF Bay area. Lots of expertice available from the group. Having to travel to get your trailer is not a bad thing. Traveling through Seattle and Vancouver with a new coach is not such a good thing. You might roll East and bypass the majority of the traffic. At a minimum, stay out of rush hour.

The default in all is go slow, take it easy, and use attentive driving skills. Hard to do when big trucks whiz by, but better than traveling so fast you are whizing by the trucks. Towing a travel trailer is not the same as towing a boat. Much more instability results from the big surface area of a travel trailer. The good news is ASs tow much better than other coaches. The bad news is all trailers sway.

A CB is a new coach and will have 12in brakes, duct AC, firm cushions, 15in wheels with Goodyear Endurance tires and a multi-stage converter. That covers the primary upgrades that folks do. The one thing that may be an issue is the battery bank. Wet cell batteries can get damaged if not held at 50% charge or more. The multi-stage converter will help to protect them, but until you prove they are capable of taking and holding a full capacity charge, be careful with use.

Get a suit case solar panel for off grid charging. Not expensive and a good cost effective solution. Get a Voyager Backup camera. Is expensive, but of great value. Do not use it for backing. Use a spotter. The spotter can see all. The camera view is selective. Get Out And Look is your primary control.

Read about awning use and the hazards of allowing rain water to pool. It is touchy to extend and retract, but not difficult. Practice makes perfect.

Check list are gold. Make them. Use them. Improve them.

Mirrors - yes, yes, yes ..... don't leave home without them.

Leave the bikes at home. Go hiking when you travel. Take a camera to make memories. Make small and controlled campfires or none if possible. Forest fires are a threat. Be aware of the Andersen arch defacement thread.

Most important - have fun, make memories and enjoy the smiles. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
There is another caution that is worth some consideration. The tank and sewer dump valves behind the axles are located with no skid plate protection. When wheels drop off a curb, significantly steep driveway approach or into a big hole, the rear drops. If it drops too far, damage to the plumbing and tanks is possible. Here is a video that showes the dump valve location later in the discussion (6.00). May help on some other issues too.

Good luck on the new coach. Pat

Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Checklists:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ts-113105.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-150041.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...st-118745.html

Pat
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I am similarly new to Airstream. I have plenty of camping time growing up, plenty of trailer time at different jobs and other hobbies, but you must accept that you will make mistakes.

Our first trip was 20 miles from the dealer the day we bought her. We made notes on what we needed for the second trip and we took the things we didn't use home. It was hot (95 degrees... the hottest day of the year so far) and our campsite had the AC and refrigerator panels were on the sunny side. And they took a long time to cool down. But they did. When we were pulling out we did all the things needed...cutting off all the electric items, securing everything, emptying the tanks. Hooked up and started to slowly pull out. Heard a scraping sound. Fortunately, I was going very slow and only moved about 5 inches. The tongue jack was still down. I won't forget that one again. Took her to storage and forgot to turn the battery switch to store. Realized it about three days later. Fortunately, all was well when we returned. Another lesson.

The second trip was a little further off in a more secluded area that was a bit more challenging to navigate into...and back into a spot with many trees. My wife was great as a spotter. I had to take a few shots to get into the space but kept cool and everything went fine.

And now, as we prep for our third trip (including one night boondocking), we have developed checklists for us. I pulled information from many checklists, but personalized them to what we need and don't need. And then I made it a PDF form so I can check off items as I do them on my phone.

And I'm sure we'll learn more this weekend. But that's part of the enjoyment for me.

And one last thing...know your limits. What you can do, what your spouse can do, how far you drive, how much your TV can actually handle.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
If you don't already have them, get a set of talkabout radios for backing up. We use to use our cellphones, and still do sometimes, but there are places we camp that do not have cell reception and there is a time delay over the cellular network.

And just in case of emergency, when traveling we also keep one on in the truck and one on in the coach for when a passenger has to take a trip back there. In our 25' FB the driver cannot see the coach door when parked straight. If anything were to happen, as the driver, I'm generally blind to what's going on back there.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
N Vancouver , British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to e2girardin
Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and well wishes. Finally picked up our 23CB this weekend and had our first night in it. All the hitch recommendations (esp. Blue Ox WDH) were invaluable as it was much easier to tow than expected. Backing up is another story, but that will come with time!

Looking forward to hopefully crossing paths with fell AS'ers.

Have a great summer!

eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	313696  
e2girardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Nice spot to break in the new one. Enjoy the adventure and tell us how it goes as your crew spreads their wings. Congratulations on making it all happen. Keep the good time rolling. Pat
Old 06-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
New-b with conflicting advice

Did you get your AS delivered?

How's it going?

I'm cracking up at all these posts ... I did opposite of many of the suggestions-- probably because I'm a newb. Hey, opinions are like elbows, so take mine for just that. The opinion of a new, first time owner. But here are a couple of things I disagree about:
1) A 23 is too small for your fam of 4. We bought a 22, and I have 4 sons and a 90 pound dog. (plus a husband)

We don't full time, just weekends or weeklong trips. I also use it as an office. When we travel my boys sometimes sleep in a tent unless its cold or miserable. Kids love adventure and tents are just that. We all used to sleep in a tent, so ... there's that.

We can sleep 4 in there and do that sometimes, too.

Is it too small for all of us to be inside? NO. Is it too small for all of us to be cooking dinner at the same time? Yes. But when we go camping we are usually outside, anyway. We didn't buy a trailer to LIVE in. We bought one to shower, go potty, so mommy can sleep well, and so we can have coffee without building a fire in the morning.

2) Use stuff from your house

NOOOOO! Do not use stuff from your house. If you do, you will have to restock your trailer every single time you travel. Then restock your house every single time you return. I'm not gonna lie, its already a lot of work to restock the perishables, wash the linen, etc. But since we have dedicated *everything* in the trailer, I don't have to stress about remembering to move everything back and forth... That would drive me insane and I honestly think it would seriously impact how much we camp.

Can't wait to hear how its going.

mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote