Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Savannah , Georgia
Argosy Minuet 6 metre - MissTini

I am new to the Airstream community but lurking and researching these boards and various web sites for a couple of months. Great information here!!! Wanted to introduce myself and my "blog" as I get my new baby back up to speed. web.me.com/abmissroon
MissTini is a 1979 20' with a lounge front. I have taken and posted before photos and plan to keep the site updated for my friends and family and the forum members (as I pick your brains, haha!).
Hoping that she can progress enough to make a trip to Charleston, SC in February for the Jimmy Buffett concert We reside in Savannah and plan to take her to Tybee in the spring with a couple of friends for her initial camping trip. Lofty plans, but she's not too bad shape to start. She will be a life-long friend
If you do happen to look and see something alarming, or that you have questions about, please comment or private message me. I'm a newbie! Well a newbie to revamping a trailer. We do have a couple of boats and a house we piddle with....
Quickly here's the plan...
New axle, shocks and whatever else goes with that (ordered).
Replacing: refrigerator, water heater, heater, propane tanks, light fixtures, galley sink, counter top, flooring, all upholstery, curtains and panels on cabinets, faucets, all side windows, screens, shower curtain, bathroom door, door handle/lock, window seals, speakers, vent covers, oven cover, galley tambour door, bathroom fan, & ???
Adding: air conditioning (sometime in the spring and at the factory or forum highly recommended shop), sound system (something to play music!), awning, rock guards (making my own).
Repairing: water system, exterior (caulk job is terrible & needs painting), couple of tears bottom side, refrigerator vent (inside), closet door (not attached to floor?), rotten floor near battery box, exterior door to battery box, window in door (it was broken), discolored end caps inside, small amount of rust topside, 2 part epoxy for bathroom, running lights & ???
Sorry for the long post! Thanks for any input
Andi
Hattagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet 6 metre - MissTini

Greetings Andi!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

I am sure that you will enjoy your newly acquired 6.0 Metre Minuet as they are truely wonderful coaches. Something to keep in mind as you plan your refurbish is weight as there was very little cargo capacity built into the 6.0 Metre Minuets. Some of the ways that the factory saved weight in the design of the 6.0 Metre Minuets included:
  • Acrylic side windows. The front and rear windows were glass, but all side windows were acrylic.
  • Vinyl-clad aluminum cabinetry. All of the base and upper cabinets were constructed of vinyl-clad aluminum.
  • Aluminum composite subfloor. While not every 6.0 Metre Minuet had this feature, many did and this does effectively limit your floor covering choices to either carpet (as equipped at the factory) or laminate floors with under-cushion/underlayment.
Changes in these areas to heavier components can quickly eat into the available cargo capacity. I don't have my specification sheet handy, but I am fairly certain that the dry-weight of the 6.0 Metre Minuet is 2,450 pounds with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 3,250 pounds. I am less certain, but do believe that the stock axle weight rating is 3,000 pounds.

When I had my Minuet refurbished, I made three changes from its factory equipment. I went with Armstrong Laminate floor coverings with Quiet Step Underlayment (about 50 pounds more than the stock carpet). A Coleman Mini-Mach Air Conditioner was installed in the factory recommended position (not in an existing vent opening as with other typical RVs). The new axle that was installed equipped with 10% greater weight rating than the stock.

It has been about five years since my coach was refurbished, and all has worked out well. Typically, I find that my loaded ready to travel weight is always very close to the 3,250 pounds -- only by being extremely careful with what is packed in the coach can I get much below the 3,250 -- I have clocked about three trips with 3,100 pounds, but each of those was with less than 1/2 tank of fresh water.

Good luck with your coach . . . and enjoy making it yours!!

Kevin

P.S.: I noticed that you plan to replace the LP tanks. My suggestion would be to carefully check your coach's tanks. Argosy made Worthington Aluminum LP Tanks available on the Minuet, and if your coach has these tanks they are well worth the cost of having new valves installed and recertification.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats on the Minuet! It sure does look better after you washed it. I'm very jealous of the window-in-the-door; wish my 77 had that.

Good luck with the work - you're heading in the right direction. I agree with Kevin - be careful how much weight you wind up adding given the inherent lightness of the unique cabinetry. You'll also want to seal the outside seams near the front wrap window - my trailer leaked there too.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Savannah , Georgia
Thanks for the info!

Hi Overlander - Thank you for taking the time to share some information about the Minuet. I checked with my dad and he ordered an axle that we believe will be the same as the stock axle (from Inland R.V.), so I guess I missed the boat on adding any extra capacity. Lessons!
At any rate, I do not intend to update the interior with new cabinetry and such. What's there is dirty, but in good shape. I was/am considering whether to paint the walls and deciding what to do about the end caps on the interior that are discolored. All the upholstery and curtains are being replaced. The refrigerator is being replaced with a new 2 way near the same specs as the original (although what those exact specs are I haven't been able to locate. Hoping same size=same weight?)
Unfortunately those tanks are not original, but the fittings and such appear to be.
After reading extensively making it leak proof by repairing vent covers, re-sealing the windows, replacing the side windows (1 broken, 2 others crazed), and getting the bottom resealed where it's attached has moved to the forefront. The neighbors thought she was cute, but now there's a big blue tarp over her since I disconnected the exhaust vent cover over the stove to wash and forgot to reconnect before taking her to the police station for inspection. Yes, I have spent a few hours scouring miles of roadside on foot searching for it!
I'd really like to dig in, build a big garage and do a skin off restoration after reading all these forums, but I assume those aren't done until and unless truly warranted. Plus in real life, this thing is much bigger than I thought. Better to live vicariously!

and Mutcth - She really does look better after that bath! My friends/family were somewhat less enthused than I was at first. It was love at first sight for me! Now that she's cleaned up a bit, they can appreciate my vision.
And, yes, the window in the door is nice. We got the replacement lexan fit in to that a couple of days ago.
Really enjoying working with my dad on the project even though I'll be taking all the credit
Thanks again
Andi
Hattagirl is offline   Reply With Quote