Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
Are we in Trouble???

Greetings!

So here we are - having recently purchsed an as- is 1982 34' Limited for what we thought was a good price - $7,000 Cdn. It was filthy, it smelled, and a lot of the previous owner's belongings were still in it, but we are an enterprising couple, and thought it would be a fun winter project.
So we brought it home, plugged it in, and then the fun began. When the power went out for no apparent reason on day 2 of ownership, frank started investigating and realized that the entire electrical system had been jerry -rigged in some bizarre manner, the panel was not original, contained bare wires and other such horrors, and the 120 to 12 V converter seems to not work at all. Pulling the false bottom out of the hallway closet revealed a wretched display of plumbing nightmares. From there we moved on to the smellly carpet, which we pulled out only to reveal rotting plywood floors. When trying to deterimine the source of the rot, we have discovered leaks in many of the windows, the door, and the lock.

It's a bit overwhelming. Where do we start???
frank n'shar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome. Start with the search tool on the upper blue bar.

Most things are fixable if you are persistant and a little handy - although handy can be learned.

Systems are pretty much the same across all models. Glad you're here - sorry about the crumby circumstances.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
There are people here that can give you advise.

Really need to post pic's of the problem areas

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You might want to go to an RV dealer and purchase an RV Service Manual. They give generic instructions on all aspects of a trailer, how to test, and suggestions on how to tackle repairs. Mine is tucked away in my trailer but if you need the title let me know and I can go dig it out. I find it helpful when I run into a problem and I'm trying to sort out what the impact is and what to check. Problems never seem to happen when I'm at home and can check out the forum for advice, they are in a campground and thus I needed a manual that would provide coaching. No problem is insurmountable, you just need to break the problems down into specific projects and follow along in the right order. The important thing is to check everything to make sure it meets your needs and is done safely. With that you will have a trailer you can completely enjoy.

Also, by using the search function on this forum you will find that a large number of us have had to tackle significant repairs with our units and many have been kind enough to post their problems, how they repaired them, and what you should expect to go through.

Keep us posted.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good day Neighbour... A 34' for that price is not to bad providing you can get it spruced up to your liking without breaking the bank. Like Lipits said. There is a ton of info at this site.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sorry about your awakening experience. There will be a lot of jobs to inventory in the coming weeks. Looking rearward, sight along each side of the trailer. Look at the side skin just aft of the wheels. If that skin is rippled compared to the rest of the trailer side, do searches here on rear end separation. Overall -- we could help you better if you post a 400x600 or 600x800 pixel digital photo of any problem you come up with with.

This age unit probably had an old Univolt converter anyway -- renowned for boiling batteries dry if left plugged in. You'd want to replace that anyway -- see http://www.bestconverter.com/ for much more modern options -- owner is a regular participant on these Forums.

Also see:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ter-23847.html
http://www.airforums.com/forum...y26-26216.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
We talked about this very thing on the Colinless episode.

First thing I would do is try to fix any leaks in the shell. Windows, door seals, vent gaskets, etc...

Then you can just start taking an inventory of the problems and try to tackle on problem at a time.

Posting your questions and photos here helps tremendously!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Welcome to the Forums. We own a 1982 Limited 31'. While yours will differ slightly in that it is three feet longer and has a third axle, for the most part they will be the same. Same cabinets, same electrical systems, etc. Ours is in pristine condition and I will be able to help you with what "should be." The first thing I'd do is go to an Airstream dealership and purchase some Vulkeem and Sika Flex sealers or whatever they recommend. Airstreams require special sealants that flex as the aluminum contracts and expands. DO NOT use polyurethane. Seal along the awning rails. Most of our leaks have been along those rails. Then seal along the tops and down the sides of each window and along body moldings. Then look at the vents as recommended above. You have to stop the water from entering before doing anything else. This is something I do every year. It is part of maintenance.

You might also want to ask advice while you're at the dealer and depending upon how handy you are, you might want to consider getting your dealer to repair the electrical and possibly the plumbing for you rather than try to tackle this job yourself.

Like a previous poster said, depending upon what all you find to be wrong, it appears that you still have made a pretty good deal for this unit. You should be able to afford some updates without exceeding the value it would likely bring.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey forget about the wiring and plumbing and rot. The main thing is,

IS IT SHINY?

Sorry.

As everyone said, you will find a wealth of experience here. There are many folks (me included) who are taking them down to the bone, but hopefully you won't have to do that. Also check out thevap.com for a great podcast covering all kinds of issues.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
As one who has $8000 in a trailer worth $4000 at the moment I welcome you to my world... First my condolences, second, my congratulations on tackling a worthy endeavor!! Here is a bit of light reading on my folly...

http://tinyurl.com/nhpgd
http://tinyurl.com/flk92

Pour water down every drain to ensure nothing from pipes wafts back into unit; this is something that should be done every few days as wind and the vibrations from walking can & will siphon it down untill you can get odors backing up. Lysol helps. Inspect toilet thouroughly, mine had a stress crack at the wrong spot that amplified that 'DANGER WILL ROBINSON' olfactory sensory feedback that kept me 100' foot from trailer for a month...

Do not let a day go by without doing something - scrubbing a patch of ceiling, washing the undersides of shelves, discovering the oddities that build character >>koff<<...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Persistance wins in the end!

It can be a "DAUNTING" challange when you consider ALL that is wrong and needs repair/replacement!! But....when you bite off small portions at a time and fix them with a smile, gusto and determination, then you will have a since of accomplishment, pride and progress. I know, I've "been there, done that"......and still doing that!! So, make the list, keep it handy for additions that you will surely discover, and dive in!!! Good luck, Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Frank,

Can Am RV has a selection of Airstream Service Manuals available. You'll be making the hour's drive at some point, to be sure. You'll get to know the parts guy well.

I've learned that these trailers have their "personalities". You'll get to know your's well. The challenge will be to get it cleaned up and usable. Hopefully, with updates to the electrical and plumbing systems, some floor repairs, new flooring, and a very thorough cleaning (my wife likes Spray 9), you will have it on the road. The cosmetic stuff comes later.

My philosophy: We bought ourselves a hobby. I'm just pleased that everything's basically intact and all the systems work fine. We also really enjoyed our first outing with it this fall.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
purchase some Vulkeem and Sika Flex sealers or whatever they recommend. Airstreams require special sealants that flex as the aluminum contracts and expands. DO NOT use polyurethane.
I believe Vulkem and Sikaflex are polyurethane. Did you mean to say don't use silicone?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Vulkem is polyurethane

Yes, Vulkem is polyurethane. It seems that silicone should not be used on aluminum.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Vulkem is lumpy stuff and takes a long time for a skin to develop. Do a search on Sikaflex 221 -- it is a smooth material with good body & skins over within about 12 hours. I sure like it!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
frank n'shar still have just one post... think they are okay?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
Frank doesn't post, and Shar's been away!!

Greetings,

Many thanks for all the great feedback. I think what you have been hearing is still the stunned silence.

Frank would like to know where this Vulkum stuff is going? Does he smear it on the outside of the frame, does he have to remove the window and apply it between , or does he have to remove the inner panel and smear it on the inside edge of the frame where the water is coming in?

We sound so retarded......

I am just curious about the thermal panes themselves - can they be taken apart somehow and resealed - there is everything from crystals to actual water to foggy condensation in between.

The trailer has approximately fourteen windows - as far as we can determine three of them are currently leaking, three have blown thermal units (but not leaking) and the door leaks like a seive.

Do you start on the inside and take out the rivets, or do you have to come at them (the windows) from the outside?

We are in obvious agreement that we have to get this thing watertight before making any other repairs.

I called Can-Am Trailers to try and get a service manual for this baby, and they tell me that Airstream doesn't print them any more, I have to order one from New York for $150. Does anyone have any different leads or ideas - I'm cheap, I'm Dutch, and I have 6 kids.....need I say more.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You can get a reproduction manual from Helen Davis at Secretarial Services, PO Box 484, Sidney, OH 45365 (937) 492-8885

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Chatham , Ontario
I'll call tomorrow!

Thanks for the manual info. I'll get on that tomorrow. Getting a manual sooner than later would probably help with the whole wiring puzzle.

Glad that's no my portion of the work. I get to figure out how to reappolster (sure I spelled that wrong) the couch. The dinette cushions need new foam too, but it looks pretty straight forward, as does the fabric panels on the bedroom walls and the yards and yards of curtains.

Any opinions on roller blinds verses the original equipment mini blinds?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Vulkem is for interfaces between windows, vents, frames and such to the outer shell. There are other sealants for the paper thin gaps that can occur on the outer shell piece overlaps which work great for weatherproofing the aluminum ribbon band where the belly skins join in... the list goes on and on - look at the window and door gaskets on the unit closely, check for water intrusion there...