Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Waterloo , Iowa
Are we being too picky?

Husband and I drove 375 miles to view a 1986 Sovereign 29' AS. The owner was obviously very proud of it and told us on the phone it was ready to hitch up and camp. He had not been able to use it for 4 years due to health reasons and it has been stored in his barn.

Another couple went to look at it Saturday morning and they left, saying they had to think about it. So we got the call around 12:30 and loaded up our truck and took off. As we pulled up, I'll admit from the road it looked very good. Aside from some heavy brush/tree limb scratches, it was nice and shiny.

But inside the smell of moth balls was so overwhelming I almost had to stand outside. All the curtains were extremely soiled so would have to be replaced. The fridge/freezer was 4 years old and used once so that was a plus. The shower area and toilet - honestly I don't think I could have used either due to the condition and I doubt they were cleanable. The sofa needed a very deep cleaning as well.

The carpet, while it had been installed new in '96, smelled terribly from said moth balls so it would have needed to be replaced. My husband looked at the underbelly of the trailer and said rivets were popping out. There was a steady drip, drip, drip off the water hookup outside. My husband is 6'4" and he felt very cramped in the back bedroom area (double bed) We could hardly pass each other in the hallway because it was narrow - one had to pop into the bathroom to allow the other to pass by.

It was in need of a deep, deep cleaning before it could be used. He wants to sell it badly - said he'd go to $6500 if we would hitch it up and take it home.

Tires need to be replaced, no awning, screen door needs replaced, not sure the steps leading into the AS are sturdy enough for much longer.

Positives: newer frig/freezer, loved the cedar lined wardrobe, loved the pull out pantry, the formica countertop was actually very neutral so could live with that. All the plastic light fixtures had really yellowed with age, however.

Are we being too picky? This was our first look at one that had not been remodeled before going on the market. We would have to find a place to store it for the winter before we could really get inside and started fixing it up. We drove home and looked at our 25' Starcraft with all the storage and thought how easy it was to hitch up and go at a moment's notice.

The AS has been on the market for over a year asking $8500 and he's had people come in to view it - no takers.

Comments appreciated!
kastlers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
I found this chart on VintageAirstreams VERY helpful in determining what to pay for a vintagehttp://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...on.html#TableB
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
I'm not qualified on most technical aspects on these trailers yet, but have had the opportunity to look at a dozen used models in the recent months leading up to our purchase of a '74 Ambassador 29'.

Based on what I've seen in my market, you should be willing to walk away if the interior is too rough. It isn't always the case, but a rough interior, which is pretty easy to maintain, might point to a lack of care elsewhere on the vehicle. If the inside looks (and smells) bad, can you trust that it has been properly winterized? Have axles and bearings and brakes been properly maintained?

Four years idle is a long while and just about anything can deteriorate a good amount under the right conditions.

That said, certain, truly vintage models may command a higher price almost regardless of their condition - if the right buyer sees something unique or collectible in that rolling stock.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
No... you are not being too picky.

A lot of times when we find a trailer, we fall in love and have to tell ourselves why we shouldn't buy it (needs a total shell off restoration, been in a flood, new exterior panels needed etc.) but, to try and talk yourself into a trailer isn't good either. Go with your instinct. Moth balls - ick - that will take forever to get out, if it ever does. I would say it's a sign that if he's had it for sale for a year and he still has it, that he's over priced and it needs too much work - the interior is work too, all items add up.

The right trailer WILL come along, sometimes it just takes longer than you want it too!

Good luck!

Tina
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Keep looking. You will know when you find the one you want. If you have misgivings on first inspection, you will have even more on closer examination.

I believe moth balls are used more often to mask other even worse odors than they are for controlling moths.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Offer what you think it is worth and see what happens. No older trailer will be perfect, but only you can evaluate what you think it is worth.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Being parked for 4 years, can have a negative effect on the rubber rods within the axle tubes.

Also, lack of proper PM, could include water leaks from several sources, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We paid the same price for a 29' 88 Excella that was in much better shape. All the cleanliness issues are doable. The question is : Do you want to do it?
At least you have something to camp in now and could take your time. We had a Starcraft before our Airstream. Very nice camper.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Being parked for 4 years, can have a negative effect on the rubber rods within the axle tubes.

Also, lack of proper PM, could include water leaks from several sources, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
If you read the following, I don't think that leaks have been a problem over the past four years, Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastlers4 View Post
He had not been able to use it for 4 years due to health reasons and it has been stored in his barn.
Although, I suppose the barn could have leaks...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Waterloo , Iowa
Thanks everyone. I think it would have been more of talking ourselves into the purchase. We told him no more than $6000 but even with that, we weren't sure.

We will keep looking - but if we had not taken the time to look at it, how would we ever know?
kastlers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You should look at as many as you can. But if you feel that one felt cramped inside, pass on it just because of the layout. There are layouts that feel quite roomy, and others that do not. You really should find one you are comfortable with.

As for the dirt, you'd be surprised what will clean up, and the smells go away eventually, though maybe not until you've replaced all the soft goods. You can probably find one for that price which doesn't require quite that much work. I think you're right in thinking that it's been for sale a long time for a reason. When you get a bad feeling about something (a car, a trailer, whatever) there's usually a lot more hidden stuff you don't know about.

When I bought my trailer I felt awesome about making the deal, and it turned out to need a lot of work, like replacing half the floor and welding up the broken frame, but the fact I was already in love with it made those fixes a lot easier to bear

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
As for the dirt, you'd be surprised what will clean up, and the smells go away eventually, though maybe not until you've replaced all the soft goods. You can probably find one for that price which doesn't require quite that much work. I think you're right in thinking that it's been for sale a long time for a reason. When you get a bad feeling about something (a car, a trailer, whatever) there's usually a lot more hidden stuff you don't know about.

So true. We have made much progress beginning with cleaning. Doing this also helps you "discover" what work needs to be done to bring it up to spec in other areas. Moving through our '74 from bow to stern armed with a Magic Eraser, bucket of warm water and a bottle of Myers' Clean Day made us intimately familiar with our trailer.

After that, new light fixture covers, fresh curtains, updated trim inserts, upholstery and curtains can really make a huge difference.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Remember the old Fram Oil Filter commercial?
You can pay me now.. or pay me later.
(pay a modest amount now for a filter, or a lot more for an engine replacement later).
IMHO, unless you love do-it-yourself projects and are really good at scheduling, doing and actually completing them... pay MORE for a better unit and you'll save both time and money. The other plus? You go camping NOW.

The odds of finding any used unit that is just perfect and suits your taste 100% is small. Heck, I like the Serenity - except the flooring is sort of dirt colored - and unless you get the pleather upgrade the couch fabrics come in "snot green/beige" and "dried poo brown"... so see?

Again, just my opinion, but soft goods from 1986 are 25 years old and that's always due or overdue to be replaced. Even if they've been cleaned regularly and used lightly, they will fade out or get dry rot - from temperature changes, humidity changes, sunlight if exposed to any, and just sitting around. With decent care they might have 1 to 3 more years use... but with any unit that old, figure on spending money for foam, upholstery, curtains and carpet or other floor covering replacement.

Filthy dirty interior - really says the minimal cleaning stuff hasn't even happened. Strong mothballs - hey they were getting ready to sell it - and didn't air it out with fans for a week? You can "hope" they aren't scamming you trying to cover the stench of mouse, rotting wood, black mold, etc... but you'd better pay like they ARE.

If it hadn't sold in a year, most people would try cleaning the interior, or paying someone to clean it thoroughly. Of course if they are broke and in poor health - they may have just had to let it go. In that case you should get a price that compensates you for the cost and time it will take to fix the neglect. (They could have sold it the day after they last camped in it.)

methinks you were smart to walk away. Odds are you were looking at a classic "full monte" unit - and you're going to spend $10K-$15K fixin' one of those if you do most of the labor yourself! $30K to $60K if you pay someone good to make it ideal for you.

Paula
Old 09-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I agree with the above. You were smart to walk away and no you are not being too picky. One day you will find your Air Stream. Or in my case - it found me. LOL

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The strong smell of mothballs would probably require all the textiles and foam to be scrapped. If it has a cedar-lined closet, why would there ever have been mothballs in it in the first place?

Sounds like it needs $700 worth of tires, probably new brakes and bearings while you're at it, lots of money in awnings, $1k in curtains, lots of money for other fabrics, new flooring to replace the mothball-smelling carpets, etc. etc.

Like Paula says, "pay me now or pay me later." Good luck with your search... as the weather cools, more good used trailers will be coming on the market, and you already have your Starcraft to camp in while you find The One.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The strong smell of mothballs would probably require all the textiles and foam to be scrapped. If it has a cedar-lined closet, why would there ever have been mothballs in it in the first place?
Maybe to keep mice out. This is a fairly commonly used rodent deterrent, but you are likely right about replacement soft-goods.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Maybe to keep mice out. This is a fairly commonly used rodent deterrent, but you are likely right about replacement soft-goods.

They also work great as a human deterrent.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you read the following, I don't think that leaks have been a problem over the past four years, Andy.

Although, I suppose the barn could have leaks...
Once gaskets have been exposed to the sun, they still age, barn or no barn.

Replacing the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, is one of the real sure ways to determine how well a previous owner took care of the trailer.

You know the old saying, "the last time I used the trailer, everything worked".

Oh, how many times we have heard that.

Then, "how" everything worked, depends on the individuals opinion.

Good things for new comers to be aware of.

All too many times, we hear new owners of a used Airstream, say, "the previous owners never told us about that".

Of course not, maybe because the buyer did not know what to ask. That's just one of the reasons this Forums, is so popular, because it offers many areas of help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Consider checking with the local WBCCI units around you and see if they know of members that have Airstreams for sale. It is how we found ours.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
You are not being too picky! You are using your head and your common sense. That thing sounds like mess, and you can get a lot better AS for the money. We found a good '94 for about twice what he's asking, and it's worth the extra money.

Study up on when these things made major changes. Understand 1994 was such a year. There are better things ahead, and this guy is asking for too much, IMHO.
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote