Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Anyone looked at this Overlander?

Here's a link to an Overlander in Hurricane, UT that sounds to be worth taking a look. Anyone have any knowledge or comments about it?

1976 AIRSTREAM 27 FT.TRAVEL TRAILER
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Before you take a trip I would ask about the 2 biggies, axles and rear end separation. If they are OK it's probably worth a peek. If not, just another old Chevy with a new paint job.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
I did ask about the axles and was told they are good. It has new brakes and "good tires." I didn't ask about rear end separation, but will on our next conversation tomorrow evening. Thanks, Lumatic.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
Here's a link to an Overlander in Hurricane, UT that sounds to be worth taking a look. Anyone have any knowledge or comments about it?

1976 AIRSTREAM 27 FT.TRAVEL TRAILER
You could ask when the exterior gaskets were replaced, for the windows, doors and the sewer vent pipe covers.

When were the appliances overhauled, such as removing the furnace, and going through it on bench?

34 year old torsion axles, generally speaking, have about reached their life limit, especially if the trailer has sat for an extended period of time.

Age of the drapes, upholstery, etc?

The price is high, but not if the necessary PM's have been addressed and taken care of.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Looking at the additional photos I noticed a few items.

I don't believe that this is a 27' trailer. There are two front side windows (curb side) and the Overlander only had one. Also the kitchen layout for a 76 Overlander had the stove and sink reversed from what is pictured here. My guess is that this is an Abassador (29 feet). If you can get the VIN, it would be easy to confirm.

I would also question why the picture has all of the jack stands supporting the trailer in the axle area. The trail should have come with BAL stabilizers and they are not shown or deployed. This might be the owners way of leveling the trailer or it might be an attempt to make the axles look better then they really are. The trailer should never be level with jacks or stabilizers. The wheels should be rolled up onto blocks to level the trailer side to side.

The trailer looks pretty good, but many have been fooled by pictures (myself included).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

West Richland , Washington
Not to mention, the ad tells you to go to KSL.com for more photos. KSL.com takes me to a news network in SLC.
SusanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanSS View Post
Not to mention, the ad tells you to go to KSL.com for more photos. KSL.com takes me to a news network in SLC.
If you go to KSL.com then select classifieds, go to the RV section, select bumper pull and search on Airstream (I'm exhausted...) you will find an ad for the trailer with additional pictures.

Richard

Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Here's a link to some more pictures from a local on-line ad.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...arch=airstream

Andy, the current owner has only had it for 3 months. He's done alot of interior decorating and added a new air conditioner. If he hasn't done the appliance maintenance and gasket replacement himself, he probably wouldn't know about that. He says he's selling because of a medical condition and heavy meds which make it unsafe for him to drive. Might all be true. ???

AZFLYCASTER, good catch on the two living room windows, but did you mean street side? My research shows the sink and stove to be that way on both the 27' and the 29'.
Good point about the jack stands. I will ask about the crank down stabilizers. Lots of people seem to think if the the axles aren't visibly bent or broken, then they are OK.

You guys gave me some more things to consider not just on this AS but on all others I might end up considering if this one isn't the one. Someone from Idaho is driving down to look at it tomorrow afternoon, so it might be gone to someone else soon. I'm a little flexible on the length, but 29' is getting up there.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Yup, I meant street side for the windows.
Here are some pictures for a 76 O'lander...
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...der/index.html

Bad axles will sit low. When you jack the trailer the wheels should also drop a few inches, if they don't they are frozen and the trailer will have a very stiff ride, that is a very bad thing.

Quote:
Lots of people seem to think if the the axles aren't visibly bent or broken, then they are OK.
I do not agree with that statement...

First of all, if you look at the axle rod that runs across the bottom of the trailer, it should be bent. That is how the alignment is done.

Axles should also have movement and spring left in the rubber bars inside the pipe.

Richard

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is an example of very bad axles. This trailer was parked next to me at a rally and the owner thought that everything was fine.

Notice how low the trailer sits. You can also see how the skin is bulging and not flat in front of the tires. You can also see where the out rigger in front of the tire has worn a vertical hole in the banana wrap.

This trailer is self destructing because there is no flex left in the axles. I would bet that the interior has many popped rivets as well.

Also notice my wife's flowers reflected on the side of the trailer. They travel every where we go and have logged over 3,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4375.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	110229  

Richard

Old 09-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
The PO of my trailer also thought the axles were okay. When I later told him that I made the replacement, he was stumped. Wellllllll - that was probably why so many rivets (inside the cabinets and not readily visible) were popped and why there was a crack in the ceiling panel above a divider wall. The PO also didn't believe the trailer leaked, which it did when leveled (if the jack is up high enough, then it runs off and the leaks are not visible). The Univolt was gone and an auto battery charger in place. Seemed okay when I bought it but now I understand how the 12v system works and know that it is less than optimal.

My trailer was in pretty good condition. Unfortunately neither the PO nor I were aware of these mechanical/electrical issues. If the owner of this airstream is unfamiliar with the window gaskets and axle issues, then he/she is probably unaware of rear end separation. I learned about all this after buying and have had to put some significant $$$ and time into this maintenance/repairs. Cosmetic updates are the fun and obvious parts - the other bits are tedious, time consuming and costly. Everyone approaches this differently but having an understanding of what needs to be done is a good place to start.

Good luck. It looks pretty good but it's likely not the 27 footer. The owner should be familiar with the length..

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
It looks good. Then again Looks are deceiving some times. 68 hundred is a little steep,considering ur gonna put 1500 bucks in axles. Trust me OEM is the only way to fly. I replaced mine myself ,I was 70 yrs old at the time. Ask and I doubt if the present owner will know IF ITS EVER BEEN FROZEN??? I found in our Overlander had been. I have been replacing it a little at a time.
MY BEST SUGGESTION is "REACH OUT and TOUCH IT. GO see for yourself. DONT take the sellers word. It looks alot ,interior wise like our 77 but there are a couple of things outside that make me think its longer. The distance between the rear bumper and the storage compartment on the curb side and also an additional door (curb side) next to the main entrance door.
Send Andy or someone here the vin number and will cyper the number for you and tell ya exactly what it is.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Yup, I meant street side for the windows.
Here are some pictures for a 76 O'lander...
76Overlander

Bad axles will sit low. When you jack the trailer the wheels should also drop a few inches, if they don't they are frozen and the trailer will have a very stiff ride, that is a very bad thing.

I do not agree with that statement...

First of all, if you look at the axle rod that runs across the bottom of the trailer, it should be bent. That is how the alignment is done.

Axles should also have movement and spring left in the rubber bars inside the pipe.
AZ, Do you mean when you jack up the trailer, off the ground, then the wheels should drop a few inches?
And, do you mean the axle rod should have a slight arch upward in the middle?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
The PO of my trailer also thought the axles were okay. When I later told him that I made the replacement, he was stumped. Wellllllll - that was probably why so many rivets (inside the cabinets and not readily visible) were popped and why there was a crack in the ceiling panel above a divider wall. The PO also didn't believe the trailer leaked, which it did when leveled (if the jack is up high enough, then it runs off and the leaks are not visible). The Univolt was gone and an auto battery charger in place. Seemed okay when I bought it but now I understand how the 12v system works and know that it is less than optimal.

My trailer was in pretty good condition. Unfortunately neither the PO nor I were aware of these mechanical/electrical issues. If the owner of this airstream is unfamiliar with the window gaskets and axle issues, then he/she is probably unaware of rear end separation. I learned about all this after buying and have had to put some significant $$$ and time into this maintenance/repairs. Cosmetic updates are the fun and obvious parts - the other bits are tedious, time consuming and costly. Everyone approaches this differently but having an understanding of what needs to be done is a good place to start.

Good luck. It looks pretty good but it's likely not the 27 footer. The owner should be familiar with the length..

Laura
Yeah, this seller seemed a bit surprised when I asked about the axles. Either he's not very knowledgable or he's trying to be sneaky and deceptive.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
It looks good. Then again Looks are deceiving some times. 68 hundred is a little steep,considering ur gonna put 1500 bucks in axles. Trust me OEM is the only way to fly. I replaced mine myself ,I was 70 yrs old at the time. Ask and I doubt if the present owner will know IF ITS EVER BEEN FROZEN??? I found in our Overlander had been. I have been replacing it a little at a time.
MY BEST SUGGESTION is "REACH OUT and TOUCH IT. GO see for yourself. DONT take the sellers word. It looks alot ,interior wise like our 77 but there are a couple of things outside that make me think its longer. The distance between the rear bumper and the storage compartment on the curb side and also an additional door (curb side) next to the main entrance door.
Send Andy or someone here the vin number and will cyper the number for you and tell ya exactly what it is.
I don't plan on buying one I don't reach out and touch myself first. I have no plans to have one shipped to me. I'll get the VIN so we can check it out.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Here is an example of very bad axles. This trailer was parked next to me at a rally and the owner thought that everything was fine.

Notice how low the trailer sits. You can also see how the skin is bulging and not flat in front of the tires. You can also see where the out rigger in front of the tire has worn a vertical hole in the banana wrap.

This trailer is self destructing because there is no flex left in the axles. I would bet that the interior has many popped rivets as well.

Also notice my wife's flowers reflected on the side of the trailer. They travel every where we go and have logged over 3,000 miles.
Those look like REALLY bad axles. Thanks for education!!