Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Anyone in Western Kentucky?

As a new AS owner, since October, I don't know any other AS owners in this area. I am doing a major rebuild of my 51 Flying cloud and would like to meet folks in the area who have done similar projects. I know of a couple of Forum members doing this, but they are 1,000s of miles from me. Am I all alone out here in the boonies?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I guess we could have a really small rally out here in the sticks

Hiya,

I suspect that I am about the closest to you. I am in Carbondale Il, maybe 2 hours away. Maybe we can have a forum mini mini rally over on the Ohio River somewhere, say like at Cave in Rock come early spring. That would also put it about 3 hrs or so from both St Louis or Nashville if any of those folks want to join in. Actually, that kinda sounds fun to me...

I have a 1968 Trade Wind, its in fairly good shape (I think) so I am doing lots of little projects rather than a big one.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Good reminder for everybody to mark their spot on the forums map! Then folks will know where you are... and if nobody is nearby now, maybe soon someone will pop-up ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'm up for a micro rally in the sticks. That is if you're inviting us motorhome guys (can't really add much to the Flying Cloud restoration other than to tell you how cool it is). Maybe Lincoln Lake or Land Between the Lakes in the spring?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I am in the central area of Kentucky and like Swebster ,I am not much help on a redo job But ,I love to camp !!!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I'm up for a micro rally in the sticks. That is if you're inviting us motorhome guys (can't really add much to the Flying Cloud restoration other than to tell you how cool it is). Maybe Lincoln Lake or Land Between the Lakes in the spring?
Well, maybe if you dont park next to us....... I think it would be great to do something say in mid-March (I think Im moving after that). Y'all up for a trip?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Any weekend except the 11th and 12th would be good for me. I may still have nothing but an aluminum tent, but what the heck. I went cemping with less.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I am sure you are not alone out there in the boonies.
I am in Michigan but I make a pilgrimage to Eddyville every year.
We stay at the US Army Corps of Engineers campground, The Canal Campground, right on Lake Barkley.
I would love to have someone to come see while we are down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJones
As a new AS owner, since October, I don't know any other AS owners in this area. I am doing a major rebuild of my 51 Flying cloud and would like to meet folks in the area who have done similar projects. I know of a couple of Forum members doing this, but they are 1,000s of miles from me. Am I all alone out here in the boonies?
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I see by their web page the Kentucky WBCCI is planing a rally at the Canal Campground July 20-23 this year. That is actually about 30 minutes from my house. Let me know when you are coming down I would be glad to meet eith you.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
Cave-in-rock and the LBL are both about the same distance from my house and neither is far. If you guys are really interested in a mini-rally I could do whatever leg work needs to be done. Of course anyone else would be welcome too. Motorhome/trailer vintage/new doesn't matter I would just like to meet some other folks who have been bitten by this aluminum bug.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Cave-in-rock and the LBL are both about the same distance from my house and neither is far. If you guys are really interested in a mini-rally I could do whatever leg work needs to be done. Of course anyone else would be welcome too. Motorhome/trailer vintage/new doesn't matter I would just like to meet some other folks who have been bitten by this aluminum bug.
Greg,
I have been camping at KY. Dam Village since before I even knew it.
It was all done in an Airstream.
I have been bitten by the aluminum numerous times, (5 to be exact).
My brother-in-law still tows my Dad's 1973 31-footer that he bought brand new in 1973. We both tow to Lake Barkley in May. Usually the week or two before Memorial.
Now that I have little ones in school I will most likely wait until early June.
There is another member on here, SCF31, that goes to Lake Cumberland every year. He lives near there.
I would love to have a mini-rally at LBL or something like that. I have participated in planning a rally this past summer. I would be willing to do what I can from here. Who knows, maybe we can get a caravan from MI and OH?
This sounds like the making of a rally to me!
PS I have added you to my buddy list! I can always use a familiar face in W. KY.!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Count me in for a rally in the Spring!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Maybe something during a weekend?

I may be able to make a four day weekend out of a trip "down home".
I forgot to mention that I have "kin" in Calvert City!
My dad was from Lone Oak, outside of Paducah.
I just may get my brother-in-law to come along as well.
I also have some good friends in northern Ohio and I would love to show them the beauty of LBL in the spring!
Let's do it!
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I am all excited about this now. A forum rally in my neighborhood. I hope a lot of folks decide to join us.
Lou, I don't know the purpose of the "buddy-list". What is it for?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

If you click on my username on any of my posts you will get a drop-down window. At the bottom of the drop-down window you can select, "Add to Buddy List". The buddy list allows you to see when someone that is yoru buddy is on the forums or not. It is really handy when you want to talk to someone when they are on the forums.
I think we can put together a nice little rally down at LBL. There are a ton of campgrounds there. I am sure we can get in somewhere.
I like KY. Dam Village when it is not a holiday week. There is tons of open parking up on the hill that we can run water and electric to and we can camp in a giant circle. That is what we did when I was a kid. I have spent 3 weeks a year for the first 19 years of my life in that campground. My dad liked it because it was close to his family in Calvert City.
Just a thought. I know we can also stay a Ken-Bar State Park. I have never been there but I have heard that it is nice.
I sure am glad to be hooking up with some folks from my old stomping grounds!

Quote:
I am all excited about this now. A forum rally in my neighborhood. I hope a lot of folks decide to join us.
Lou, I don't know the purpose of the "buddy-list". What is it for?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #16

Hi,
We are located in Millington TN 20 miles from Memphis my husband did a 1962 Safari, took it to Alaska last year not one single problem 15,000 miles. We were well pleased with it however it is for sale now as we had a 34 foot when we got this one. Everyone said we needed a small one for Alaska so the Safari is 22 feet.
Jo
Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
jo6370,
I just traveled through Millington today. My wife goes to Dr. Shea in Memphis for inner ear problems. How are you trying to sell the safari just locally or e-bay or in the forum classifieds??? Would you be interested in a LBL rally if we put it together?

Greg
Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am running low on good bourbon and need to make a trip to the land of true distillation. Make sure you put it on the rally calendar.
By the way did you know that Kentucky bourbon was first made by a baptist minister?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Count me in!!!!! We need a place that takes reservations so we can be close and most important all have a spot