Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Encino , California
Thanks 3streams. I'll look into the idea of attending a rally. Seems like a good idea to get some first hand knowledge. Sounds fun, too.

Just curious, why are you selling your 05 International?
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags
3streams,

Are the vintage trailers "projects" that need a lot of work? I love the look of the some of the older models but I don't have the time to restore one (with two little boys at home--we call them the soccer hooligans--time is at a premium). Or, can you buy one that is already road worthy that you can just pack up and take on the road?

Wags
Go Vintage!!! I've been restoring my '52 Cruisette and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Look for a vintage trailor in descent condition and run with it. Anyone can get a new trailor...but few can get a vintage trailer and have a great story to go with it. This is just my opinion any I many others with disagree... Good luck with picking a sweet A/C.

Matt Picasa Web Albums - Matt - 1952 Airstrea...
IdahoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think the more you can LEARN up front about just how an Airstream is made and that would include learning what to look for in a vintage unit (floor-rot, axles/running gear, appliance function, water-tightness, etc.) the better your success at finding an older one that you can just hit the road in without a lot of renovation. It's hard to really learn this stuff without either owning a trailer (my way of learning) or hanging out in one A LOT. I'm not the type to learn well from just reading I need to be DOING so I'm glad I bought a '69 in 7 of 10 condition and could get busy fixing it myself (I'm also self-employed and can vary my schedule). Ideally, you'd find a friend who'd let you use or rent their vintage unit for a month or a year and really get to know it (you'd still need a TV w/hitch/sway bars/brake controller) and see if you can hang with vintage. I'm totally sold on the older units: weight, style, and retro vibe really do it for me..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We have a 78 24ft Argosy, and now a 76 31ft Sovereign. We pull them with 1/2 ton pickups, I have the Tundra and my husband is a Ford man. His Ford has the bigger engine and I would have to recommend it for the 31ft. All that is up to you and where you intend to travel and how much you travel. Here in Oklahoma, we have few hills and we mostly tow ours down to the lake, about 150 miles. You will have things to work on in any vintage; however, there are trailers out there that have been well taken care of. Keep in mind that plastic gets brittle and things get old, but you will not have $30k to $60k invested to worry about. You can usually fix whatever the kids break (or your husband breaks) and maybe make it better than before. I was nervous about "breaking" my first trailer, but now I know that there is nothing we break that my husband or the RV man can't fix. If you can't find a replacement for the original part, and many are now available, you just update with something better or entirely different. Having your own Airstream is a fun time that you and the kids will remember all the rest of your lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	55838  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags
Thanks 3streams. I'll look into the idea of attending a rally. Seems like a good idea to get some first hand knowledge. Sounds fun, too.

Just curious, why are you selling your 05 International?
We have an '07 Tahoe as our Tow Vehicle- and although warranties- already had to replace the transmission. The vintage trailers can be made to be just as comfortable and modern as the new ones with every connivence. They are lighter, better on gas, and just plain cooler! Sell the '05 and buy 3 more vintage! Naw- we are thinking of buying a vintage tow vehicle- '57 Chevy Station Wagon (if we can find one).