Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Another Newbe

Hi All, We just acquired a '82 Airstream 28' with an Isuzu diesel. We got it from the wife's parents who are having some medical problems. Unfortunately the coach needs some TLC and we are kind of on our own as to history and operating instructions.
I have been searching the forum trying to learn from the vast amount of information shared by the many great members found here.
We picked the Airstream up in Sacramento and drove it home to Washington towing our smart. The Airstream didn't have a clue anything was attached to it's bumper.
We also got an extra weeks vacation in Eugene, Oregon thanks to the Airstream wanting to play some transmission games.
We did make it home without further major incidents and are now trying to learn what makes the coach happy so our future outings can be enjoyed by all.
Looking forward to meeting Airstream people, Dan & Irene
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! Glad to have you with us... Enjoy your new toy and make good use of all the great information to be had here...as well as the moral support and knowledge of fellow aluminum heads...

See you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Thanks for the kind words TB & Greg. We are looking forward to playing in this new toy. I'm not so sure about this "aluminum heads" thing. I have always played in antique cars, trucks and tractors. The common thing being "rust". I may have a bit of trouble dealing with this shiny stuff that doesn't rust. I guess one just has to approach new things with an open mind.

Cheers, Dan & Irene
Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
If the motorhomes are anywhere near the same as the travel trailers, they may be shiney on the outside but you can still find plenty of rust and rotten floors under that shiney exterior

Annette

P.S. Here in New England we know all about rust!
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You must have been quite a sight going down the road with that Airstream pulling the Smart. We would love to see a picture of that rig.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Yes Annette I have found lots of iron underneath. I spent the last couple of days dropping the fuel tank. There was a fuel delivery problem and I found a partially crushed line. I also found generous amounts of grease and oil doing an excellent job of keeping the rust levels to a minimum.
Brian we always get lots of attention in the smarts, we have two of them, and I understand the Airstreams also draw some attention. On the way home we did get lots of "thumbs up" and cell phone pictures but I can't say for sure which vehicle or the combination that generated the most interest. I got the first smart about 2-1/2 years ago and I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody took a picture of us going down the highway.
I was actually thinking of using a picture of the Airstream towing the smart for my avatar, that's provided I can figure out how. I did manage to incorporate both in my member name. By the way, there must be an interesting story behind moosetags.
I will be looking down the highway, Dan
Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Welcome aboard! Glad to hear your airstream is staying in the family, Sorry to hear the reason they had to give it up. I know that was a tough decision for them.

Wow, you're in store for a lifetime of adventure... and I'm not talking repairs or anything...I dont' know about that stuff... that's Hank's job. You'll be making a lot of cool memories with the Airstream!

It's a aluminum love thang!

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Thank you Lois, getting old is tough but I have solved that problem for myself. I just refuse to get old or to even grow up for the matter. I'm just a big kid.

I do look forward to the adventure. We lived on our sail boat for ten years and loved every minute of it and now the Airstream will allow us to venture a little farther inland from the coast. Even the repairs can be an adventure, especially when they are successful.

Cheers, Dan