Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Another Ham Radio operator

Hello dere!

Been working on my youngest son's 2004 International CCD 22 footer for a while while he plays Active duty Army in Hawaii. I get to use/store it while he is over there for the next few years. I guess thant makes me a newbie with a latent case of family-inherited auminumitis?

This rig is basically the "Silver Ham Shack" because of the built-in HF Ham radio system with the remote head neatly installed on the rear desk area and the rest of the radio guts in the closet in front. Nice Yeasu FT-857 100 watt rig with a folding antenna on the roof. It has solar battery charging, golf cart battery box with two or the heaviest dran batteries I've ever tied to lift, and a fair amount of experience on the road. Our family is the second owner of this pristine rig.

Be that as it may, we're planning a cross-country trip to visit relatives in Alabama in the fall, and I have been digging through the forums gathering data where I can. Already found some great checklists, etc. and expect to find out more.

Looking to install a tankless water heater (likely Precision Temp, less likely the Atwood knock-off) soon because we all like hotel showers. Any experience out there in replacing an Atwood 6 gallon tank-type with an RV-550 (pictures would be grand!

Rich, KE4GNK
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hi Rich, you will find a fair number of Hams on the site, I don't know how many are operating out of their trailers. Here is a link to the WBCCI Net page if you want to check in.

Sounds like you may be a Navy vet with the Hotel Shower reference.

http://wbcci.org/home/intraclubs/43-...v-service-nets

73's
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Darn, caught me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Hi Rich, you will find a fair number of Hams on the site, I don't know how many are operating out of their trailers. Here is a link to the WBCCI Net page if you want to check in.

Sounds like you may be a Navy vet with the Hotel Shower reference.

http://wbcci.org/home/intraclubs/43-...v-service-nets

73's
Yup. Guilty as charged. Did not realize that someone would pick up on that so quickly.

8 1/2 years ending as a 'First Class Data Systems Technician Petty Officer of the Line in the world's second largest nuclear navy". Was a charter member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht club during 1967-1976 time frame. Wised up and got a real job after that adventure, but I still play with computers for a living, and am basically gobsmacked that they actually PAY me rather well to do so...I do that as a hobby as well as messing with radios.

On the cusp of retiring from a major aerospace company, and getting into other things for the fun/profit of it, but since we now have access to a nice Airstream, we're gonna take advantage of it while my youngest (of 3) son is stationed in Hawaii. Wife, daughter and I plus our 4 doggies are going to take a few weeks off and wander back to Alabama to see relatives and friends and camp a bit before daughter heads off to college in the fall. Should be interesting at least, fun if we are lucky.

ERF. Just had a look at the website--someone picked colors for the schedule page that make it IMPOSSIBLE to read--looks blue on blue to me--so I can't read it. Can you parse it and post it here--amazingly unreadable as it is...

Never mind, I found a readable page buried further down...
Old 07-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Unhappy Meh, sometimes I'm an idiot...other times a total fool.

Just figured out that the Airstream is a 2007 model. Still an International CCD, but it's also the 75th Anniversary edition, fancy badge and all. Even the bag for the manuals says that---I guess I missed this minor point.

Sigh. Sometimes its a bear getting older and less attentive, huh?

Good thing stuff auto-updates...