Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Congratulations on your new baby. My guess is that you will get about 14mpg. I say that based on MANY polls and posts on diesel towing and gas towing. Various makes models and setups all seem to get about the same - 12mpg gassers and 14 mpg diesels, AVERAGED that is. Yes, if I were buying today, I would consider the used versus new price and the ducted option too. When I purchased I had a choice between a year newer 25SE with a dent or a 25 (they were parked right next to each other). The SE had a large crater dent in the lower back corner and they wanted $12, 000 more for it. I chose to save and get the other one despite obvious differences. I do not regret that move at all. It is good to make your mind up before buying. Buying used is often harder IMO because usually you are making compromises or have hurdles to get over like dented panels or other damage that make the decision more complex but, there are also rewards either way.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Congrats, our search continues for a good used unit
I wish we could afford a new one
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #23
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Another First-time Airstream Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
What's the 6000 mile trip? Tampa to the Great lakes area. Going to spend time in Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. Camping along the St. Croix River and the North Shore of Lake Superior. Planning a short trip up into Canada. Then probably take the long way home to Tampa from there.

Great first trip in your new, to you AS. You may have already done the Superior loop, but if you haven't, you may want to spend a night or three in Sleeping Giant NP up by Thunder Bay. The hike to the top is fairly strenuous, but worth it.
Enjoy your new AS, and Titan.

Edit, I see you went with a new one. Great job, on the negotiating! Looks good behind your new truck. Here's to many great adventures!

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
We spent three nights in our new FC25FB. The only real surprise was the power management needed with the larger draw items in an Airstream. We popped the 30 amp main on the pole several times until we figured out the hot water heater was running in electric mode. You can overload 30 amps fairly easily when that 15000 BTU AC starts up.

The only other surprise was that I re-engineered the window rockguard attachment hardware. Three of the four broke when we decided to wash the windows. I drilled out the rivets on the screw mounts, inserted a stainless bolt through the old bracket, held it in place with a locknut, and re-rivited the mount back in place. This gives me a through-bolted mount for the rockguards. Then I removed the old attachment screws from the rockguards, slipped them over the through bolt and added another locking nut to hold the rockguard. Now I can wash the windows. I basically made the window rockguards attach in the same way as the steel rockguards.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Here are before and after pictures of the rockguard attachment points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170427_105109369_HDR.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	284367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170427_101828242_HDR.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	284368  

Old 04-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Having recently done my research into a new TV to replace my lightweight Frontier, I will tell you that you picked the BEST TV in the Titan! Mine is on order!
astroboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Nissan stats

Quote:
Our new Airstream
Congratulations on your new baby! We are on our 3rd 25' AS, and love it...looking at what number 4 will be; a 2017 or 18 25 or 27' Twin FB. Please let us know how your new Nissan does if you don't mind posting...mpg, likes/dislikes, and recommendations. Very interested in how this beast is for daily and towing use.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Nissan Titan XD Diesel 4x4 upate

Here's an update for those commenting on my truck. Yes, this Nissan Titan XD with Cummins 5.0 is a tow beast! It pulls the Airstream very easily even though I am nearly at its 1500# payload limit.

Let me give you some of my towing background. I've been towing heavy boats, campers and construction equipment for over 40 years. I've towed hundreds of thousands of miles with almost every Ford vehicle that had a hitch including E350, F250 Diesel, F150 (5.8, 5.0, Ecoboost), E150, Crown Vic and Taurus. I've recently owned and towed with most capable Nissans including Titan XD Diesel, Frontier and Pathfinder (CVT). I towed extremely heavy construction equipment daily for six years.

With that towing background, let me give you my thoughts on my Titan and the other vehicles with which I've towed. Towing with the Titan Diesel is shockingly similar to my recall of towing construction equipment with my F250 Diesel. Effortless acceleration with a relaxed feeling. Not pushing the engine or transmission at all. These diesels are made to work and shine while towing heavy trailers. I believe the Nissan's 5.0 fuel mileage is similar to the F250's but better than the Ecoboost. Now the Ecoboost with the twin turbos was also a torque monster, but it used more fuel than the diesels both while towing and not towing. The Ecoboost had wheel squealing acceleration and was more fun to drive while not towing. But because you had that power, it was hard to keep your foot off the gas.

I loved my Nissan Frontier while towing my 17' Casita. It was excellent with the 3000# trailer but I would not want to tow more, even though its rated to tow significantly more. I'm talking about towing across the country, not a hundred miles here and there. You could tow anything a short distance. I got 16.5 MPG while towing my Casita with the Frontier but fuel economy could fall to 13.5 MPG with a stiff headwind. The Titan Diesel got the SAME fuel mileage pulling the Casita as the Frontier. The Titan Diesel fuel mileage is also greatly affected by headwinds. I have not towed the Airstream enough to tell you what MPG I get towing, but I believe it will be around 12 on a long trip. Non-towing the Titan Diesel can get over 20 MPG on the highway and gets 16 MPG on mixed urban traffic with stoplights and traffic backups.

Let me talk about the Pathfinder CVT. I towed my Casita with it and would not recommend it for long trips. It revved and got about 10.5 MPG on the highway and the rear suspension sagged and was squirrelly while being passed by other vehicles. Not comfortable at all.

Bottom line, I love the 5.0 Cummins diesel for pulling the Airstream. It is perfectly sized for the application. One thing to watch for on the Titan XD is payload. I have the Platinum Reserve 4x4 model with the lowest payload available. The DOT sticker says 8950 GVWR and it weighs 7450 with full fluids, no passengers and no cargo. Therefore, I have 1500# of available payload. So watch the payload number if you are shopping for a new truck. Here is a copy of my CAT scale ticket weigh taken on my way to the campground this weekend. I'm within 100# of payload, but below GVWR, GAWR and GCWR. I just loaded everything into the truck and trailer that I had in my Casita. No attempt was made to adjust the load since I was not exceeding any weight rating. My previous posts in another thread included the CAT scale tickets for truck only and truck/airstream without WDH engaged if you want to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT scale camping.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	998.2 KB
ID:	284434  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Dear AirMiles: Thanks for that TV analysis. I too currently have a Frontier and need to step up in anticipation of towing an AS. Settled on the Platinum Titan 4x4 (cool 360 degree backup camera!!) but NOT the diesel. Why? First off its too new, 2nd year of production and although the diesel is a Cummings, jury is out on the transmission. Also, my mechanic says when those diesel engines need work, its EXPENSIVE and I just may be in the middle of nowhere unable to find a skilled diesel mechanic. Therefore I went with gas. Your thoughts?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
My wife and I have put a deposit on a "new-to-us" 2014 FC 25FB to be named "Air Miles". We are very excited about our purchase and can't wait to get it home from the Airstream dealer. We need to patiently wait until the previous owners get their on-order larger Airstream.

We are not new to travel trailers as we are trading in "Miles", our 2013 Casita 17SD, on "Air Miles". We have put 15,000 miles on "Miles" in less than two years and have a 6,000 mile adventure planned for "Air Miles" this summer.

We can't wait to start racking up Air Miles!
Just wondering, before I put my deposit down on a 27'FB Serenity, why did you go with the 25'? Having second thoughts on the 27' vs the 25'. Also, you said you found a couple of used AS in Florida but you ended up with the new unit instead? Was this simply because of the ducted air difference? How much more did you spend? With me its got to be new not only because of the ducted air but the factory built solar system too. Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 04:57 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Welcome AirMiles. We have the same trailer. Having driven a Nissan for a long time and loving it, I recently traded for a 2015 GMC Sierra 6.6 diesel. This is serious overkill, but the price was fairly good. I was very close to buying the Nissan HD diesel, so I am very interested to see how you like yours. Keep us up to date on your trip.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Excellent report; thank you!

Quote:
Here's an update for those commenting on my truck. Yes, this Nissan Titan XD with Cummins 5.0 is a tow beast! It pulls the Airstream very easily even though I am nearly at its 1500# payload limit.

Let me give you some of my towing background. I've been towing heavy boats, campers and construction equipment for over 40 years. I've towed hundreds of thousands of miles with almost every Ford vehicle that had a hitch including E350, F250 Diesel, F150 (5.8, 5.0, Ecoboost), E150, Crown Vic and Taurus. I've recently owned and towed with most capable Nissans including Titan XD Diesel, Frontier and Pathfinder (CVT). I towed extremely heavy construction equipment daily for six years.

With that towing background, let me give you my thoughts on my Titan and the other vehicles with which I've towed. Towing with the Titan Diesel is shockingly similar to my recall of towing construction equipment with my F250 Diesel. Effortless acceleration with a relaxed feeling. Not pushing the engine or transmission at all. These diesels are made to work and shine while towing heavy trailers. I believe the Nissan's 5.0 fuel mileage is similar to the F250's but better than the Ecoboost. Now the Ecoboost with the twin turbos was also a torque monster, but it used more fuel than the diesels both while towing and not towing. The Ecoboost had wheel squealing acceleration and was more fun to drive while not towing. But because you had that power, it was hard to keep your foot off the gas.

I loved my Nissan Frontier while towing my 17' Casita. It was excellent with the 3000# trailer but I would not want to tow more, even though its rated to tow significantly more. I'm talking about towing across the country, not a hundred miles here and there. You could tow anything a short distance. I got 16.5 MPG while towing my Casita with the Frontier but fuel economy could fall to 13.5 MPG with a stiff headwind. The Titan Diesel got the SAME fuel mileage pulling the Casita as the Frontier. The Titan Diesel fuel mileage is also greatly affected by headwinds. I have not towed the Airstream enough to tell you what MPG I get towing, but I believe it will be around 12 on a long trip. Non-towing the Titan Diesel can get over 20 MPG on the highway and gets 16 MPG on mixed urban traffic with stoplights and traffic backups.

Let me talk about the Pathfinder CVT. I towed my Casita with it and would not recommend it for long trips. It revved and got about 10.5 MPG on the highway and the rear suspension sagged and was squirrelly while being passed by other vehicles. Not comfortable at all.

Bottom line, I love the 5.0 Cummins diesel for pulling the Airstream. It is perfectly sized for the application. One thing to watch for on the Titan XD is payload. I have the Platinum Reserve 4x4 model with the lowest payload available. The DOT sticker says 8950 GVWR and it weighs 7450 with full fluids, no passengers and no cargo. Therefore, I have 1500# of available payload. So watch the payload number if you are shopping for a new truck. Here is a copy of my CAT scale ticket weigh taken on my way to the campground this weekend. I'm within 100# of payload, but below GVWR, GAWR and GCWR. I just loaded everything into the truck and trailer that I had in my Casita. No attempt was made to adjust the load since I was not exceeding any weight rating. My previous posts in another thread included the CAT scale tickets for truck only and truck/airstream without WDH engaged if you want to see them.
Thanks a lot for sharring your information! Payload...very interesting that you are close to 1500lb limit... We carry kayaks from time to time and I thought about looking for 1500+ payload as a minimum...maybe need to think 1800lb now! Appreciate your update data as you move ahead towing your AS...we also go from TX to MT and back couple times a year, both with and without the AS....at 110K miles on my 2012 EB, I just had all services done, fluids, belt, and shocks installed, but still in back of my mind wondering if I can go another 7K miles this summer until the 18's are about to come out and the 17's have better rebates. Will be anxious to see your updates.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just finished towing my 31' Sovereign from Miami to Albuquerque with my Nissan Titan XD diesel. Averaged 13.6 mpg for the whole trip with a great deal of the trip spent on the Interstate doing 65.

Just did a side trip down to Elephant Butte (about 300 miles round trip) at a leisurely 60 and got 15.2. Not enough distance to quantify the savings but,it looks good.

Have burned 5 gallons of DEF so far.

With an average difference in price between regular gas and diesel of about 28 cents, the fuel cost per mile is about the same as my trusty old 2004 Nissan Titan gasser.

Loved that old truck, love the new truck. We'll see how it holds up.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
fuel capacity and def capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Just finished towing my 31' Sovereign from Miami to Albuquerque with my Nissan Titan XD diesel. Averaged 13.6 mpg for the whole trip with a great deal of the trip spent on the Interstate doing 65.

Just did a side trip down to Elephant Butte (about 300 miles round trip) at a leisurely 60 and got 15.2. Not enough distance to quantify the savings but,it looks good.

Have burned 5 gallons of DEF so far.

With an average difference in price between regular gas and diesel of about 28 cents, the fuel cost per mile is about the same as my trusty old 2004 Nissan Titan gasser.

Loved that old truck, love the new truck. We'll see how it holds up.
That sounds pretty good! Is your the second generation? I had heard the fuel capacity and def capacities were not very large in first generation; has that changed?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Bottom line, I love the 5.0 Cummins diesel for pulling the Airstream.
It's a nice engine, but last time I looked Nissan took it off their website. Probably because of the EPA. They're going after the Ram EcoDiesel and all car/SUV diesels, too.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mine is a 2016. Fuel capacity is 26 so a comfortable 280 mile range or a little over four hours which is when I am ready to stretch anyway.

Def is 4.6 gallons which is plenty.

Go to "build your Nissan" and you can get the diesel pretty much anywhere
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Just wondering, before I put my deposit down on a 27'FB Serenity, why did you go with the 25'? Having second thoughts on the 27' vs the 25'. Also, you said you found a couple of used AS in Florida but you ended up with the new unit instead? Was this simply because of the ducted air difference? How much more did you spend? With me its got to be new not only because of the ducted air but the factory built solar system too. Thanks - Astro

Why did I go with a 25'? Because I am mid-6-foot tall and can put a full sized queen bed in a 25'. The East-West bedroom is actually longer than the North-South bedroom. Was buying new for ducted air? YES and the new one had the three awnings already installed which would have been about $3000 to add to the 2014. How much more for the 2017 vs 2014? $12,000, but I also sold my old Casita myself versus trading it on the 2014. Selling it outright saved at least $5000 in my estimation. I also like that the 25' will fit in some campsites that limit the size to 25'. I too thought of buying the 27' to get the microwave and stove, the larger pantry and the North-South bed, but the longer bedroom setup in the 25' was the real deciding factor. Not having your feet hang over the end of the bed is a big deal for me!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Reply to comments on the Titan XD:

I like the sound of the gas mileage of 13.5 at 65 mph and 15 at 60 while towing!

Yes I will keep posting my results of pulling my 25' Airstream with the Titan XD Diesel. I'm leaving for a 320 mile adventure with the Airstream tomorrow. Some of it will be interstate highway and much of it will be backroads in the Ocala National Forest. I'll have a better feel for my gas mileage after this short trip. My 5,000 mile adventure towing the Airstream from Florida to the North Shore of Lake Superior starts May 31. I will definitely know my fuel mileage after that trip.

I know a diesel will cost more to operate than a gasser, but there's just something about being able to effortlessly tow a 7,000 pound trailer that makes it worth the extra cost. I like idling around at 1700 rpm while towing rather than pushing an engine to run at 3000+ rpm. The diesel loves to work, it is actually better to be towing 7,000 pounds than idling back and forth to the grocery store.

Thanks for the comments folks! Its nice to get feedback that my comments are helping others.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Mid-way through my longer term shakedown of my new Airstream and Titan XD Diesel. I only had a couple of small issues with the Airstream. First, the water pipes began banging on the shower wall while pump was running. Easily fixed through water pump access door. Second the latch on the bathroom mirror came off due to stripped screws. A little glue and toothpicks should fix that. Truck is awesome, 13-14 mpg while towing in most conditions and speeds. Perfect size truck for an Airstream. Blue Ox Swaypro hitch is also amazing. Well​ behaved in all situations. Soft riding yet no sway. I'm loving my new rig all around.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Update on 30 AMP issue. The breaker at my first campsite must have been bad. I have not overloaded the pole breaker at any of my sites this week. So I believe my first weekend issue a site electrical issue, not an Airstream issue.