Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Rivet Another Aluminitis victim

We are absolutely thrilled to have finally been able to buy a sweet little '62 Globe Trotter that I have looked at every day for nine years while driving to work.
#192D252 Ohio built and in need of some tender TLC and a facelift. It was in a movie that was released sometime in the late 2000's, I will post the name when I find out for sure what it is, I know it has Canyon in the title.
We are truly in love with this trailer and are eager to get started. I have learned so much from the forum and will be a frequent visitor for sure.
The WBCC numbers were never put on, no ghost #'s, so we will have to get our own.
Happy to be here, looking forward to the open road and meeting other victims of our special malady.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Welcome Flygrrl from another Canuck and Ontarian.
If you're little GT is camp ready why not head over here Aug 8 to 10 for a rally for the TAC (The Airstreamer's Club)
The Airstreamer's Club

Airstream Forums - TAC Canada Rally

By the way any pictures of your new baby. We all love pics.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Rally ON!

Thanks so much for the invite, would love to come but we won't be able to make it this time, our new AS is in need of an axle graft (expected) and we have visitors from jolly old England. We will do our best to make it to upcoming events when the silver bean thing is feeling better.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
I also have found out the name of the movie the trailer starred in, it was The Carney with Lou Diamond Phillips. I have to get a copy, I haven't seen it.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Pictures

Hi Y'all, just want to post some pics, because we all love pictures! My shopping list is getting loooooooooonger, hubby says it is freakin' him out. I dont' think he was quite emotionally prepared for such things as lifting the skin. I was, anyway, once the systems refurbs are done; axle, brakes, bearings, tanks, plumbing, electrical, floor, skin sealing and polishing, vents, etc.(most of these I can and will do) I am thinking a classic exterior (with the exception of solar panel window shades) with a serene and tasty interior. Dark wood floor, dark grey microsuede, memoryfoam gauchos , oriental screen bulkhead doors, cupboard and bathroom doors (pocket type 2 door), stainless galley and white painted zolatone.
Whaddya think?
I am loving Airstream School.
My daughter has also just contracted Aluminitis and I am betting that my sister will come down with a bad case as soon as she comes to visit me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916 street side.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	136316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917 curb side.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	136317  

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	136318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	136319  

Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Another Aluminitis victim

Greetings flygrrl!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

You certainly have a acquired a nice looking coach. As someone who had to paint the interior aluminum surfaces of his coach because a previous owner had painted over the Zolatone, I would encourage you to try thoroughly cleaning the original Zolaton . . . it provides a much more durable surface than any repaint that can be done other than a recoat with Zolatone. The original Zolatone on my coach would still be beautiful had the seond owner not painted it institutional green . . . the original Zolatone was near perfect and it was so sad to see it coated with something that looked terrible after 8 years. It is your coach, and if you just can't live with the Zolatone, it is your call to repaint or refinish in any way that makes you happy. . . .

Good luck with your restoration!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree with Kevin. Zolatone is a wonderful looking and very durable product. It also will cover many small imperfections. Member Insideout removed the zolatone on the 56 and then applied new Zolatone. The interior is gorgeous.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...tml#post656524

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Saugerties , New York
I thought our zolotone was in need of repainting until I started to look at sample of zolotone and then I realized mine was perfectly fine. I am glad I didn't jump into it and do something that didn't need doing. there are plenty other things to do...
JCINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
zolatone

Hi JCinny, The Zolatone looks pretty good but our sweet baby AS has had a shimmy and has lots of cracks in the seams. I am not quite sure how to match and patch the original paint
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Oops

I just looked at Kevin's post more thoroughly and he said you can recoat the Zolatone, does anyone know if it comes in white, must one do splatter effect?
And thanks Azflycaster, just checked out the thread link, very interesting, but cha ching! I wont' get to this step for quite a while so I will have lots of time to deliberate.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Another Aluminitis victim

Greetings flygrrl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrrl View Post
I just looked at Kevin's post more thoroughly and he said you can recoat the Zolatone, does anyone know if it comes in white, must one do splatter effect?
And thanks Azflycaster, just checked out the thread link, very interesting, but cha ching! I wont' get to this step for quite a while so I will have lots of time to deliberate.
Yes, Zolatone is still available and it is produced in a number of different color/spatter finishes. It does take some careful preparation and some specialized tools, but the results can be fabulous. Perform a Forums search of Zolatone, and you will find a number of discussions of reapplying Zolatone to the interiors of our Vintage coaches.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
new pic

Hi all, just wanted to upload a stunning sunset setting off the as in the foreground.
Still pondering Zolatone but it will not be an issue for a while.
Lots of probs getting the Jeep wired for a brake controller.
My Grand Cherokee 3L diesel can haul 12,200lbs. and has a factory towing package installed but....... to save maybe $2 they did not install a universal plug- in. Not only that but no company stocks a sub harness and the dealership had NO clue (parts manager, service know-it-all , and head mechanic) YIKES. We finally found the (extremely short) green wire going to the 7 pin after I showed them how to flip down the shroud under the steering wheel. Left dealership to find an alternative. Big shiny Van and trailer specialty shop (installs brake controllers for a living!!!) couldn't find one for the Jeep. Next option........
Jeep forum had a Jeep engineer sub forum (because I am not alone in my misery) and I was able to find a sub harness through a link. Whew. Any opinions? The instructions seem pretty clear and simple, should I trust one of these guys to install, $$, or trust in my own mechanical expertise?
My life motto is: How hard can it be? Has worked so far and I've saved a lot of money by figuring it out.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Oops

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	136652  
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Wow! After 15 years Jeep still can't easily support a brake controller.

I was cruising through all the same Jeep forums and PMing fellow jeep owners myself yesterday on the same topic for my 97 JGC. Fortunately I have a Jeep enthusiast service place in the area....they knew exactly what to do for the install (run hot and ground to the battery, 30A breaker on the hot, the correct brake light wire in the jeep wiring mess) and are doing it for me in the AM. If you've done the hard part of finding the correct brake light wire and are comfortable running hot and ground to the battery, you might give it a try or follow my path. I'm sure there are better alternatives to going through the firewall to the battery, but those were the instructions I found for the 97.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
jeep woes

The sub harness I got ties into the power plug behind the console, it has two little plugs for that, no need to run wire to battery and is easily installed. I tie into the green wire that goes to the seven pin and the brake light wire (WH/TN, position 2) and... Bob's your uncle!!! It was actually easier to find a sub harness for earlier years of Jeep but after 2004 things got confusing. It just blows my mind that this vehicle has so much muscle, tow package, beefed up rear shocks, and both a seven and a four pin factory installed and they did not go one little step further.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Baby has a new name

After much soul searching and discussions with Hubby, I have finally settled on a name for our new family member. Evoking the early sixties blond bombshell, with a nod to my favourite [I]Trailer Park Boys[I] character, her shape, and a fun thing to do, her name is Bubbles. Her licence plate reads BBBLS. I will perhaps airbrush some pretty soap bubbles on her rear end, just in case they don't get it.
I am in love, even though we have a hard road of reno in front of us, probably many bumps and bruises, she is my special baby. Hubby just shakes his head, but he is secretly in love too.
Leonie