Old 04-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
Anchorage Couple Looking for Airstream

Hello from the Last Great Frontier!

My wife Amie and I are looking for an Airstream Trailer, 24 ft or smaller to haul behind our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi).

We are very new to trailer camping. We live in Downtown Anchorage, condo kids My wife is 35 and I am 40, both from Charleston WV. No kids, just a little Bichon puppy at the moment.

Interested in a sturdy 1965 or newer up to 24' Airstream in decent shape. We do not have a garage or tools, so something we can use now and maybe restore or upgrade in the future.

Looking for something in Anchorage or a trailer that can be shipped to us.

Look forward to talking to everyone and CHEERS!!

Sincerely

Robert B

Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Robert and Amie,

welcome to the forums and good luck for your search!!! Keep us posted about the pogress of your search...

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Hi Robert,
Welcome to AluminumLand
I'm in Eagle River Valley, out near the Nature Center. I have a 64 Safari but sorry NO it's not for sale. Not many Airstreams up here. I have spotted only a couple on the road, a couple more from the air.

A few months back I saw a mid sixties 22-24 ft AS at Nancy Llake, by the float plane dock, looks like it's been sitting for a long time, might be worth checking out. Another one near Big Lake. I'm headed that way today, I'll fly over and see if they're are still there. There is a ’64 Bambi in Fort Richardson RV storage lot near Otter Lake, I know it hasn't moved for at least 2 years.

There's a Globe Trotter sitting in front of a house in Eagle River. An Argosy at a house near the Eagle River VFW hall (lots of bald eagles hang out there too). Perhaps a knock on a door or two might get some response.

There’s LOTS of old converted school buses up here in the wilds, not so many Alaskans seemed to afford Airstreams back then. There are so many disrepair old buses I’m thinking a photo coffee table book needs to be made. I see them from the air regularly.

Make sure you have a place to keep it when you do find one. Shipping one up would cost a bunch, but may be your best bet. I towed mine up from lower 48. It cost me $900 in gas just to go from Alaska, around Canada to Seattle and back last summer. And gas was “cheap” then.

You could look at mine to get an idea of exactly what size, model you want. It’s headed for the AlCan again in a week or two.
Road trip.

Good luck on your search,
Safari64
Old 04-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Hi Robert,

We visit Anchorage at least once a year. Spent all of last summer there.

There used to be Airstream (age & size unknown) that could be seen on the right hand side of Northern Lights as you go east beyond the BP complex and before Lake Otis. It is always tucked back in a drive. A quick look at the map makes me think the house sides onto Northwestern Ave. It has been there several years.

It might be worth checking out.

I have also seen one or two on parking lots in the industrial areas to the south of Tudor. No exact location on those.

Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
a trailer that can be shipped to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreedlove
Hello from the Last Great Frontier!
Interested in a sturdy 1965 or newer up to 24' Airstream in decent shape. We do not have a garage or tools, so something we can use now and maybe restore or upgrade in the future.

Looking for something in Anchorage or a trailer that can be shipped to us.
Robert B
Robert,
You might consider another option of purchasing the AS in the lower 48 and finding someone on this forum that would be willing to tow it up for you.
The towing person could get a vacation to Alaska and not have to suffer the poor fuel mileage on the return.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks so much Safari64! Yes, we are very new to the Airstream world, but we both just love the 60's style....you should see our condo

I plan on doing some driving around this weekend, hitting the backroads looking for something for sale. Time to knock on some doors I guess.

I do love the idea of buying something in the Northwest and having someone bring it down for us. We are both very busy working and do not have much time off at the moment. I am a 20 yr civilian Loadmaster for the Base and Amie is "Delaney Parks" on 104.1 KBEAR

I will put an add up very soon. I emailed airstream themselfs to see what would be the biggest one I could tow safely and without worry, but nothing yet. I know my new Jeep has the 5.7 liter HEMI and towing package, but it just does not seem that heavy of a vehicle. Dont want to get "Pushed" down Thompson Pass etc.

Thanks again and what do you think would be best for my gal and I?

-The Breedloves of Anchorage
Old 04-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreedlove
I will put an add up very soon. I emailed airstream themselfs to see what would be the biggest one I could tow safely and without worry, but nothing yet. I know my new Jeep has the 5.7 liter HEMI and towing package, but it just does not seem that heavy of a vehicle. Dont want to get "Pushed" down Thompson Pass etc.
Thanks again and what do you think would be best for my gal and I?
-The Breedloves of Anchorage
Jeep brochures or the dealer should be able to tell you your vehicle's tow rating. Since manufacturers tend to be optimistic, you might want to use only 80% of the quoted figure.

More tow vehicle is way better than not enough tow vehicle. I tried to tow a 20' 1964 Avion with a Ford Explorer. Having the "tail wag the dog" gave me an uppleasant urgency of the bladder!

When I moved up to a 25' Airstream, I also moved up to a Yukon XL 3/4 ton. How pleasant to always feel in control while towing

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote