Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
An Introduction

Hi all! Since I've been lurking on all of these great posts for a couple of weeks now, I figure it's long overdue that I introduce myself. My wife and I just purchased a FC 23D (we pick it up tomorrow ). We've always been tent campers and backpackers, but with 2 and 3 year old boys, it's been a challenge in the cold and rain and we want to make life easier on ourselves. I've always loved Airstreams... I just can't believe I have one! It'll feel just like a hyperbaric chamber, but more comfortable . I'm a little worried about whether we'll still be able to access some of the FS and BLM sites we like so much here in Northern CA, particularly since I'm a fly fishing addict and love the out of the way spots, but I guess life is about trade-offs. Looking forward to everything to come. See you all down the road.

Cheers,
Eric
navydiver220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome aboard

You're going to enjoy it - I promise.

Airstreams are measured a bit differently than some other campers - the length INCLUDES the tongue. So you'll fit into almost all BLM sites. You may find a camping area where there are 12 spots and your rig will only fit into 8 of them but that's not a significant problem.

You are lucky to be parents to two lively children who will want to do everything with daddy - so you might have to select fishing spots based on the safety for small kids rather than on remoteness. The Airstream will fit in wonderfully. Choosing the welfare of your family first isn't a compromise - that's mom and dad stepping up and being leaders and heroes!

With luck after a day of gathering firewood and fishing with dad, they'll fall into bed dead to the world... And sleeping on a real mattress may make your Airstream into a honeymoon suite! Enjoy.

Paula
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Welcome!

My wife and I bought our Airstream pretty much on whim while at a dealer kicking tires. After our first trip we looked at each other and both said we wish we'd had it when the kids were little.

A fine move indeed!
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, best thing ever to do with your children!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
OMG! You and your wife are doing the best possible thing you can do for your boys! They are going to LOVE it and you will enjoy watching them love it. Have a great time!! Laura
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We are also Airstreamers with kids-- it is the BEST! Welcome to a great adventure!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote