Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
An Airstream Neophyte

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, although I have already corresponded with one member.

I don't have an Airstream yet, as I am a bit torn on how which way to go with this next part of my life. My plan, once my house sells, is to take to the road and become a 21st century gentleman hobo. Ok, it isn't quite as sketchy as it sounds.

I retired from the Army almost three years ago and now I work with military leaders and civilian emergency managers to better prepare for, plan, and respond to disasters and emergencies, so I am on the road for around 30 weeks a year. Since my daughters have both moved away, the anchor rope to this place has snapped and I am ready to try something different.

My dilemma is whether to go with a vintage Airstream and pull it with my Jeep GW, or to get an older Winnie and place small cars strategically around the country that I can use when i am in a particular area. I won't be looking for members on here to help me make this decision directly, as I know there are great benefits to both; but what I do want is to learn everything I can about Airstreams to help me decide which is the best one for my needs. I also know that the GW isn't the best (or maybe even a preferable) TV, but I am looking at doing some serious upgrades to make it more acceptable.

In any case, I am looking forward to spending time on this site and to learn everything I can. Candidly, I prefer this plan to the Winnie, but wouldn't be true to myself if I just let my heart override my head without first knowing all of the pros and cons.

Thanks for having me!

Macavity
Macavity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for the information that you are seeking.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hearing you want to upgrade your GW is exciting. Vintage is great to see and can be quite satisfying to own. Most would say new vehicles are better for travel, but a reliable vehicle will get you from one base location to another. More folks will want to see your Airstream than the Winnie solution.

We personally liked stepping up a short distance into a trailer more than we liked stepping up a long ways into an RV.

What is likely is that you can get by on less of an investment with the Winnie and some inexpensive cars. You may not have as much value at the end of race. However, which would get you the most smiles and provide you the best living quarters? Seems like a simple decision to me, but I am a bit biased.

Edit Note. there are 4 season SOBs out there and that might be a more comfortable solution if your destinations are not temperate.

Good luck with your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Pat. I agree with your cost assessment, but I think like you do, so cost is only one consideration. Cold weather is another consideration but as I have the option to fly to all of my training venues, I will have the (relative) luxory of locating the trailer where I want. I have to ask, what is SOB (other than a term of endearment often uttered by my ex)?

Mike
Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
SOB Some other brand.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
SOB = Some Other Brand

I like the tow vehicle+trailer better than the motor home+towed vehicle. Only one motored vehicle to insure and maintain.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
I have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer that I can tow with but I bought a truck because the use of the blue boy. Your wagoneer would up to a 25' a/s. I too have a vintage trailer. It's up to you what trailer will fit your needs. On my gw the gross weight is 5,000 lbs pull. So be careful of you tv tow weigh.
Rachel
1962 Tradewind 24' Agnes

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
I agree with you Alan, although there are so many cars I haven't owned yet!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
Rachel, I have been thinking of a Tradewinds as I like the idea of a dual axle assembly, although that adds weight. I was considering this as a way to minimize sway (never had much worry about blowing a tire on a single axle configuration). Something from the mid 60s.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Bismarck , North Dakota
BTW, is there really any SOB worth considering? ������
Old 08-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
BTW, is there really any SOB worth considering? ������

I will always recommend an Avion in an appropriate size for your Jeep.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Hughesville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
Rachel, I have been thinking of a Tradewinds as I like the idea of a dual axle assembly, although that adds weight. I was considering this as a way to minimize sway (never had much worry about blowing a tire on a single axle configuration). Something from the mid 60s.
I'm picking up my 1967 Tradwind this weekend in Utah. I'm driving from PA. My tow vehicle is a 1996 Suburban. I love the well maintained old stuff. Love the Tradewinds.
snookduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Pic are nice! I love my Tradewind. She's a 62. California made. I named mine Agnes after my grandma who loved going RVing. Have fun with your a/s.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470543680.052494.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	268492

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote