Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Allen , Texas
Am I crazy? - ISO AS in Texas

I just joined the site tonight, as I need validation on if I am embarking on a fool's errand or not.

Family of 4, son (6) daughter (8), no pets, just listed our house for sale, kids get out of school June 1, I own a Ford F150 Ecoboost, and I have a job with the basic requirements - work from "home", except when you visit a client, you can leave from any major airport in the US. The only thing the job requires is internet access, but I think a mifi from Verizon will work fine.

My wife has always wanted an tow-trailer.

We are building a new house that will not be done for 10 months. Kids are out of school for the next 3.... do we go 100% nomad for the next 3 months?

Oh yeah, and we don't own an Airstream yet. Given the parameters, what would you do? Vintage? Minimalistic?

How do I buy a used AS?

Can I buy now, and then sell in the fall?

atxtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Are you crazy? Well, I'm not a doctor.

Seriously, only you know what would work for your family. If my job would allow me to be nomadic for up to three months, I'd jump on it. If I had a family would I still do it (we're about to become empty nesters)? Absolutely.

Memories are the one thing that last, and more and more young folks are discovering this. It's not the fancy cars, and houses that matter, but the memories they are making... In this spirit, going nomadic for three months will provide you and your family memories that you may not get a chance to reproduce.

As to where do you find a used Airstream, look at the classified area here, RVTrader, craigslist. The same places you would look for most things. One of the more unusual traits of the Airstream I found was the high resale value. Unlike our previous camper which we sold taking a pretty hefty hit on after only a short time, the Airstreams hold their value pretty well. You'll notice that when you go look. In fact, we ended up buying new because we couldn't find the configuration we wanted used without traveling thousands of miles across the country and that was something we didn't have time for at this stage in our lives. Yet, I still don't regret purchasing the Airstream.

So, not sure if any of this helped, but good luck!

wbrisett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
Allen , Texas
Wayne, thanks for the fast response and you answered the main question I had but didn't answer. I think we want used and Airstream seems to be the brand that does not lose depreciation nearly as quickly.

Are there any organizations or third parties that verify the used ones?

I do agree, there are not a ton on the resale market but we want one that is trailer ready for next month. I don't mind driving cross country, I would just hate to get the PacNW to pickup and it turns out not to be what they said it was...
Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think your kids would find living in an Airstream for a few months an absolutely amazing and memorable experience.

I would say...go for it!

I love Verizon, and the mifi worked great for us for a number of years.

A long time Verizon customer, I now have the little card in the IPad, which is very handy when traveling.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Are there any organizations or third parties that verify the used ones?

Look on the lower right-hand side of the portal page. There is a link to volunteer inspectors.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
And Texas has quite a few trailers even when other adjustments are made as to size, population, etc.

Be prepared to travel, and the more coaches one views, the easier it will become.

Ten years is not quite old for this trailer type. How it is stored will make a real difference from this point onwards.

The older one is -- and the more owners -- the worse things get.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Go. No one knows what the next second will bring, much less, minute, hour, day, week, month or years. Every second is precious, so, if you and your spouse are up to it, do it. If things don't work out it's only three months. Return home and sell it.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK Tex. We first bought a 20 year old Airstream and hit the road. Not quite nomads but used it quite a bit. After 4 years got a good opportunity to upgrade to a lightly used 10 year old model from a friend and never looked back. Still not quite NOMADS but we're both retired and travel for 3 months at a time. Heading out in 2 wks for Alaska this summer. Do it, don't look back except to back into a great site.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
My suggestion

Buy a vintage trailer and do a shell-off restoration, then we'll know for sure whether you're crazy or not
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
You haven't given yourself much time, since it's almost June already. I would look for something in TX, like maybe this one:

There was also a 2016 FC 25FB listed, but they are asking more than we paid for ours new.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Go for it. After 3 months on the road you should be hooked.

So since your building a new home, plan on adding a parking pad and don't worry about selling the AS in the Fall.
This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
A few thoughts:

We built our home 3 years ago. I was working full time. All of my free time was spent driving back and forth from where we were living to the building site. Even though our home is a relatively simple design, there were many decisions to be made throughout the process. There weren't any "change orders", just details that required clarification. We lived off junk food through drive-thru's for a year and I still lost 20 lbs! I can't imagine not being available for questions during this process as issues surely will arise.

Before we broke ground, I swore that we would go on a trip as well and not be on the ground present in order to limit those tempting changes, which means spending more money. We stayed and have a better home for it.

Good luck! Have fun, enjoy the process.
Oh, and the trailer is worth it, no matter what you do. Your kids will love it and you will make long lasting memories.

And, good advice, Mojo, about the pad for the AS. Also, consider consider having a septic clean-out placed so that you can clean / dump your tanks at home.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #13
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Sounds like a great adventure. It seems you want to buy and then immediately camp, so you may want to focus on gently used Airstreams that are in "move-in condition" vs. anything that might be a fixer-upper. This approach might cost a little more up front but in return save you having to deal with leaks, soft floors (due to moisture-induced rot), and other major repairs.

Love the idea already expressed here: given you're building a home, it would be super-fun to add a place to park your Airstream. A pad, electrical, water, and sewer service shouldn't add too much relative to the cost of the house, and this would be the easiest time to do it. That of course assumes your property and HOA-to-be are amenable. OTOH, our driveway is challenging (at best) and our HOA despises RV's. (We got into RV-ing well after we bought our home.) Someday we hope to trade up to "less house, more driveway and no HOA" so we can start parking Rocinante closer to home.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Allen , Texas
Thanks all. Very well thought out responses all. I will post the questions I get after I read through them all.