Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I guess we're pretty snobby, too. Last time we expended anything more than a passing nod at another RVer at a campground, it was with a fellow Airstreamer. And we visited for quite a while!

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
If Snob is the same word than in my french language , it comes from the Latin "sine nobilitas" and in other words, means: without when we use that word, it's pejorative;
I don't think that A/S owners are snob, they are only proud to be the owners of a legendary travel trailer, proud to belong to a community who love good and design caravan, proud to have gotten a piece of America in their hands and it's not pejorative at all;
I'm proud to represent you and Airstreams in France and I don't want to be a snob to people that look me; I just want to share my passion and not to stay closed in the A/S and it's alway a great pleasure to do that.

So what is the meaning of the abreviation SOB ?????

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #17
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
So what is the meaning of the abreviation SOB ?????
Depends on the context! In RVing and some automotive circles, it means "Some Other Brand." Otherwise, it means "Son of a B*tch."

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Sob,snob?i Hope Not.

Originally Posted by eubank
Depends on the context! In RVing and some automotive circles, it means "Some Other Brand." Otherwise, it means "Son of a B*tch."

I thought SOB was for SQUARE OLD BOX.
My squarestream has been called an SOB.
I have also been called a Airstream snob at one CG by a person that told me ALL Airstreamers are snobs.I hope in the end I proved him wrong.
Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We don't often have the opportunity to camp with other Airstreamers so our experience has been the same as others from everthing to impromptu tours at a gas stop to "they still make those?" to "It looks great how old is it?"

We always offer a "come inside" to "can we see yours?" to every inquiry and it always leads us to the most rewarding conversations, invitations and new acquaintances to share the camping experience.

Can't say we are snobs we have spent plenty of time owning some other brands and they all have cool in them, if not from the show room than definitely from the occupants special flavor. Never had a bad experience so far. Eager to get on the road for more!!!!!!! If it is a fellow Airstreamer I ask if they are on the forums and if they subscribe to Airstream Life and hand them a copy and exchange e-mail addresses and leave them forum information.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
. , .
Snob? No
Geek? Definitely
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I think it is just a "common interest" thing. We have friends who own a SOB and belong to a club of that brand SOB...they even have their own forum like this.

On the flip side, I have had people treat us differently because we own an Airstream. There was a thread on the forum a few years back on this topic of "millionaire Airstream owners". Because new Airstreams cost so much more than SOB trailers, some people think we Airstream owners are all millionaires.
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
We had just finished the paperwork to buy our Airstream, and the dealer had parked it in their side lot. We were going to spend our first night as Airstreamers in their lot, as were another couple who had just purchased an SOB.

We got to chatting with this other couple, and of course we duly inspected each others' new purchases, ooohing and aahing all the while. It was comically obvious they didn't quite "get" it. She told me about seeing an Airstream in a recent tent sale and wondered who the heck would buy one of those things? Too much money and not enough storage space with all the curves topped the list of comments.

Most of the time though we get curious people asking about it, and generally being complimentary. Probably because Airstreams are few and far between as compared with SOBs.

Let's face it - if there was a parking lot full of boring beige and white Honda Civics (no offense intended; I've got one myself!) and one or two shiny Ferraris, which would get all the attention?
[SIZE=1]Michelle & family
[COLOR=Blue] 2005 28' International CCD
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We don't consider ourselves as snobs, but we have to admit to being VERY proud owners of one fine RV.
Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
And all this time...

...I thought SOB stood for 'Slide Out Behemoth'....

The seductive, aircraft-like shape of an AS will always stand out in the SOB world...poetry in motion, and when in camp mode too!
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Maybe a snob, maybe not... but I know one thing: I'd have absolutely no interest in trailers if Airstreams didn't exist. Its design, heritage and classic riveted look gave me the interest in this hobby in the first place.

In a world without Airstream, I'd still have a deep love for traveling to far-flung destinations. But it'd be in a tent.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
People who aren't Airstreamers DON'T get's true. I remember, years ago, as a young mother with a desire to camp, looking at an Airstream that was parked along the road. WOW! It was so expensive. And it hardly had any storage space! And only two beds! I bought a pop up that slept my family of 6 pretty comfortably. But that shiny aluminum stuck in my mind forever. Even after the pop up, I bought a behemoth of a trailer & we all fit great (even the kids friends). But that Airstream always stuck in my mind....shiny, shiny.... Did anyone at a campground ever come in for a tour of those trailers? No! But with my Airstreams that I have had since, people (fellow snobbish Airstreamers, I might add), had come for a tour. I too don't think we're snobs, actually. I do think we have interests in common. I guess pop-ups are everywhere, and so are the huge bunkhouses! Thank goodness my kids don't all come on vacation with me anymore & I can actually have a trailer with only 2 beds! Shiny, shiny, shiny!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Heck, I'll talk to anybody and offer them a beer as well, but if you have a Stream your likely to get two, three or six beers. I think it is just more likey that you will have more in common with a fellow streamer.
Different strokes for different folks!

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Play Nice!

Advice I got as a four year old, and it always holds true. I really enjoy my A/S but I don't think badly of people who have any variety of SOB. My home campground is full of people who leave their RV's there, have the campground staff move them from storage to a lot, and vacation periodically at this one campground. That kind of camping is wasted on an Airstream. I don't get to travel as often or as far as I'd like, but I still say Airstreams are meant for the open road. SOB's are fine to park at a lake for the summer.

I've visited people in the huge beautiful (and sometimes wh***house overdone) mohos. They are lovely and spacious, and 10 years from now will be ???? junked?

I know for a fact that at least three people I've met have bought Airstreams after seeing mine. I don't think that makes me a snob, but maybe it makes me a recruiter!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote