Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

Waldport , Oregon
Almost an Airstream owner

Hi folks.... my wife & I are retired here on the Oregon Coast & it's almost time to buy our Airstream & see the world. We aren't in a huge hurry, but as an old "aerospace engineer", I'm going to investigate what's best for us in relation to size, age, etc.
So my intent in becoming part of your extensive forum is to get as much help from other RVers toward finding the right vehicle,,,
Thanks Ray
kornyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
KornyRay:

Are you looking to buy a used one or a new one? I bought a used one and I am fixing it up. You will find a wealth of information in this site.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Ray, welcome!
There is a LOT of reading here that will help inform you of different options and issues that we face.
The search function is a big part of your search for info - get familiar with it. Having said that, it's nothing like google. If you can't find the answer, fire away!
Good luck in your search. My Brother-in-law is an engineer....don't OVER anylize.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
An aerospace engineer ~ how fitting that you are buying an Airstream. Welcome to the forums, Ray.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! Are you looking for a vintage AS or a newer one? Either way you are in the right place...lots of info, lots of resources, and lots of good folks here...

Good luck in your quest!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Ray, welcome to the forums!

There are some mighty fine vintage units out there, and for less than the price of a new one you could be cruising with 'vintage-style'. Or you could pick up a new one and have all the latest gadgets! Have you been down to Eugene to vist the AS dealer? That's probably a good place to start.

You could also swing by the rally at South Beach in a couple weeks and have a peek in a few new and old trailers. Folks love to show off their rides!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-38568.html

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
kornray -
An ex father-in-law was an engineer. Good folks, can be interesting too. But as Fryzowt said, "Don't over analyze". Do be a methodical engineer - gather information, rationally analyze your wants / needs / all possible uses (family or grandkids, etc.) and made a forceful decision. Most engineers I've known were great 'tinkerers', so a vintage restoration project might be right up your alley!! You & your trailer would be the talk of the town (or at least the RV park and AS rallys!!). Or a newer model might float your boat. Either way, from an engineering perspective, you'll find the Airstream is far & away the best design, best engineered. As you do your study, take a look at ANY RV that is over 20 years old, if you can find one. What shape is it in? Can it even be used to travel? Is that RV a "show stopper" where ever it goes? Has it held ANY of it's market value?

You just can not go wrong with an Airstream!! Many of us have had 2 or more, just out of love of the product. Please do let us know what you decide.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #8

Waldport , Oregon
Well, thank you all for the responses. We've been away in Eugene, OR having my left hip replaced. Surgery went well & I'll be ready to RV in several months.
Thanks again Ray
kornyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
At the risk of getting huge amounts of flack, I'd suggest that 25 feet seems to be the sweet spot for a couple. If you want to stretch that a bit, the 27FB is a good choice but the extra space is just a temptation to overload the trailer. You'll probably carry more stuff than you need even for extended trips. Better to go light and lean, IMHO.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard! I would rather do the trip to Eurpope than do the hip replacement Hope that all went well and you are ready to motivate. AS you have read...the most important thing to provide the most fun is to be sure your TV matches your trailer. I figured since my old beast needed a lot of tow vehicle, but my destinations were probably all within a days drive, it made sense to buy a dedicated TV, albeit an older one. FInd the best balance to have both an enjoyable tow and an enjoyable stay.

Best of trails
Rob n Terry