Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Brant lake , New York
Almost a new owner of a 77 Safari

Hello all!!!
I have long dreamed about owning an Airstream and have been hunting one for sometime but the ones I find are usally too big or was gutted.(I prefer to start and finish my own restore projects.. Can not stand picking up where someone left off) Never finding that one sweet trailer I almost given up but now it looks like I may have found the one.. It is a 77 Safari that I put a deposit on today and I going to look over/ Pick up this Saturday.
The original asking price was 5k and I was able to get them down to 3900.00 but I am not still 100% certain this is a fair price.. I guess I will know more when I inspect it but from what little I can see from the pics it seems like it could be well worth it.. Any pointers on inspecting the trailer (common weak spots etc etc) would be fantastic.. looking foward to being an active member of this forum and chatting with you all.. Scott from the Adirondacks
P.S Check out the pics of the trailer and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	535.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	125189   Click image for larger version

Name:	536.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	125190  

Name:	537.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	125191   Click image for larger version

Name:	541.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	125192  

Scottcoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #2

Currently Looking...
Brant lake , New York
77 Safari

here are a couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	539.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	125193   Click image for larger version

Name:	540.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	125194  

Name:	538.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	125195  
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Scott, what is there to think about. $3900 is a gift.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Hi Scott,
Congrats on your purchase! The first thing you want to check is the floor integrity. Grab yourself a sharp screwdriver & go around the complete perimeter of the trailer poking the floor next to the wall, inside every cabinet & under the bathroom components. The amount of rot you find, & they virtually all have it, will determine the starting point for your restoration.
Colin
www.thevap.com
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If everything is in order, just use it don't restore it. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. She looks great in photos. Hopefully, any floor rot will be minimal. The skin and the interior look super. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Scott It looks great. Body looks to be dent free. Minor,minoe ding in the front curbside banana wrap and small bend in the roadside rear bumper but tha't nothing at all to worry about. Newer A/C unit. All original interior and the bathroom looks to be in excellent shape. It's hard to tell but the axle height looks good, not really sure though. I suspect it's ready to camp in as it sits.
Like colin says check the floor for rot, look under the belly for corrosion of the aluimnium for signs of frame rust out. The axles need to have good ride height and movement ( travel up and down) for proper ride. If the floor/frame and axles check out then check all window and door seals, seal up the roof vents and stink pipe lids on the roof and go camping.
If you don't want it give me the contact info and I'll give them the $5k they're asking.
It's a no brainer at that price . great find .
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Brant lake , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Hi Scott,
Congrats on your purchase! The first thing you want to check is the floor integrity. Grab yourself a sharp screwdriver & go around the complete perimeter of the trailer poking the floor next to the wall, inside every cabinet & under the bathroom components. The amount of rot you find, & they virtually all have it, will determine the starting point for your restoration.
Colin
www.thevap.com

Thanks for the tip Colin... I am praying the floors are solid and decent but I am sure that after 30+ years something is spongy.
I am hoping to do the polish/some restoring myself but if anything major presents itself I cannot tell how happy I am to see how close your business is to my job. So if your plate is not too full you might have some winter projects coming your way otherwise we will have to meet up at Crickets for a cold one
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Agreed = $3900.00 for a good one is very reasonable. In our area, trailers that nice are rare and can easily sell for twice that amount. Let me know if you need an owner's or service manual for the 1977 models - I can send you a CD copy.

Kevin

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Brant lake , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Scott It looks great. Body looks to be dent free. Minor,minoe ding in the front curbside banana wrap and small bend in the roadside rear bumper but tha't nothing at all to worry about. Newer A/C unit. All original interior and the bathroom looks to be in excellent shape. It's hard to tell but the axle height looks good, not really sure though. I suspect it's ready to camp in as it sits.
Like colin says check the floor for rot, look under the belly for corrosion of the aluimnium for signs of frame rust out. The axles need to have good ride height and movement ( travel up and down) for proper ride. If the floor/frame and axles check out then check all window and door seals, seal up the roof vents and stink pipe lids on the roof and go camping.
If you don't want it give me the contact info and I'll give them the $5k they're asking.
It's a no brainer at that price . great find .
Hey Chris thanks for the info, I plan to take the tires off and check the axles/bearings before I take the 4 hour trek home, I had an axle fall off a snowmobile trailer on the Jersey turnpike when I was younger...NEVER AGAIN!!! What a nightmare!
I am pretty much certain that the trailer is coming home with me but if for some reason it does not work out I will make sure you will get the info.
Otherwise I am really REALLY hoping that she is ready to go, I would love to do what Zigzagguzzi said and just get right to camping!!!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Scott I have a couple of questions and comments for you. Does your TV (tow vehicle) have a brake controller? You will need to have an electric brake controller to apply the brakes in the TT (travel trailer).
What type of umbilical connector does your TV have? Most likely it will be the seven pin blade type. The A/S (airstream) if original will have the 7 pin round type umbilical so you will need to change the TT end of the umbilical to use it on your TV.
Contact the PO (previous owner) and ask him if he rewired the umbilical to meet todays wiring pattern. A/S used there own pattern for wiring the umbilical and you will need to move two wires on the TV end of the umbilical to match todays standard.
Once you know what the PO has done to the umbilical I can assist you further. I'm trying to avoid any problems you might have for the tow home. Searching for RV parts in a strange town on a Saturday may be difficult.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Well. I'm with Chris. You'd better buy it if you want it. It looks like a very clean usable trailer. I'd pay the $3,900 you said you talked them down to. I know for a fact that trailer would easily sell for $7,000 in central Texas.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi Scott,
Your trailer is a real beauty. What a find! I think the price is great too. The interior looks so clean. Also, orange is quite a trendy color right now, so you may want to just accessorize to work with the current interior. Welcome to the Forums.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Hi, Scott. We are happy to see the picts. of the '77. Looks like it was well cared for. It's fun to see the original features, especially the front lounge; ours had been pulled out by a PO & replaced with a convertible seating bench/dining bar. AND, love that orange (our color, too)! Also great price! Looking forward to hearing & seeing more.

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcoda View Post
Thanks for the tip Colin... I am praying the floors are solid and decent but I am sure that after 30+ years something is spongy.
I am hoping to do the polish/some restoring myself but if anything major presents itself I cannot tell how happy I am to see how close your business is to my job. So if your plate is not too full you might have some winter projects coming your way otherwise we will have to meet up at Crickets for a cold one
Sure no problem, Crickets is less than a mile from my house
Colin

www.thevap.com
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
all it needs is a lava lamp... she's pretty & I say snatch her UP!

TrailerTrashTrez
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Scott: I agree with WASAGACHRIS, if you give up who the present owner on this is, we'll out bid you by a few thou. (I wouldn't try that) but you have a beauty in your sights. Good Luck and Welcome to the forums.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Looks like a deal to me.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1977 safari